Balancing not just the budget

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,868
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Belated (very) shuffle report... back in the black after receiving work expenses and extra contract payment. However, having checked my YNAB records I haven't spent as much as I though on the new business set up and am still 'in profit' with the extra contract work, so do need to sort out something about tax (there isn't much more I need and I intend to cover my costs in future even though I won't be treating it as a full on business). I find this whole idea terrifying but must resolve to either call HMRC or find a friendly and tolerant accountant soon :o

So it looks I have more money this month than I thought, as this month's paycheque will have some spare. Plus I should get my annual pay rise - probably about £20 a month so not exactly going to change my plans but I suppose it shouldn't be sniffed at either. Hopefully this means I can make that first mortgage overpayment :)

Rosa xx
    Save
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • RosaBernicia
    Forumite
    Shuffle report on time... funny but even the reminder to pop in once a week really helps keep me accountable.

No change really... pretty much OK, should have some spare this month to either have a trip away or do something for the house. I ought to get some outline quotes for the work I want doing on the house this winter so that I can decide. Oh and I love the new YNAB app - can finally adjust budgeting on the spot, instead of putting transactions in by phone and then having to do budget adjustments on the computer. Age of Money is 50 days.

I also found that I have at least two dresses that will do for going to a friend's wedding in a few weeks, so that saves shopping :D . I will need shoes, but that's better than needing the whole lot!

Rosa xx
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,651
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    It's great you have the main elements of a wedding outfit. Cheaper but also lower stress.
    Have a good week.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • RosaBernicia
    Forumite
    Scooting by with a shuffle report...

Things are tigher than usual this month due to a flat tyre incident - fortunately it was noticed before I set off, but it meant I had to get the two new tyres this month rather than next month, and at Kwik Fit since they were the only option on a Bank Hol Sunday afternoon. Grateful again that nowadays this kind of thing is an annoyance rather than an utter disaster - and for neighbours who helped with changing the wheel.

I'm considering getting ahead of myself and spending on the credit card in advance of September's paycheque, as a friend abroad has invited me to stay. It would be much better to go now than later in the year and I do have a buffer I can borrow from if necessary, so am just looking at how fast I can get my passport sorted. I allowed it to expire because I rarely go abroad and it is so expensive. I had a bit of a panic finding it :o so really need to do some sorting and filing.

So no overpayment this month after all, but going away (if it happens) will more than compensate. I have also been spending on clothes, but all things I will wear so no guilt attached. I have had my hair cut and bought new perfume too - both overdue, I had forgotten how much I love good perfume (and I am a terrible snob about it and what I bought was expensive, but worth it to me).

I'm aware that I am not using my reward accounts and ought to sit down and sort that out - I need to remind myself to do transfers and also check what direct debits need to go to which account. Oh and thank goodness for redirected post as a storecard was forwarded from the old address - I'd completely forgotten to change the address on the account. Although I rarely buy anything with it these days, and the interest rate is scandalous, so I'm thinking of dropping it anyhow.

So nothing very exciting here, just glad it's all running OK

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Forumite
    Slight update... I got off my backside about the cashback accounts.

T5B now has two direct debits, which should pay £5 a month, and I've added the card back to my purse to use it for spending (assuming I can remember the PIN... :rotfl:) which should get another £5. The new app is refusing to work on my phone but I can just use the laptop. I am assuming that the cashback still applies to this account, it may not do if they really meant it was only for a year. Will find out soon anyway and if not will close the account.

C0-0p has had money paid in, and now needs switching to paperless statements... I remembered the reason it all went off track was I forgot the PIN and it needs a reset. Will ring them and get it set up. That should bring in another £4 a month and if I'm being very organised and swop over to that card once there are enough purchases on the T5B, would mean another £1.50.

I had forgotten that it's very easy money for a few minutes money shuffling :D

Rosa xx
    Save
  • Does sound like it's ticking along nicely - and it's not really surprising if after all the stress of the move etc you've taken your eye off the ball on a few bits and bobs!

Get that storecard closed unless it comes with any benefits to you and you can just use it and clear it each month!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Does sound like it's ticking along nicely - and it's not really surprising if after all the stress of the move etc you've taken your eye off the ball on a few bits and bobs!

Get that storecard closed unless it comes with any benefits to you and you can just use it and clear it each month!

Thanks EH - I just keep the storecard for the occasional discounts but I use it so rarely it's hardly worth it and I don't like encouraging them when the interest rate is so hideous!

I will have to face up and 'fess up at the weekend... dread to think what I've spent while away but I had such a great time and it was an opportunity that may never come again, so no regrets.

Rosa xx
  • Definitely no regrets towards spending on "once in a lifetimes" when the money is there to cover such things - this is the very reason we budget for fun! :D

You've reminded me that we too have house jobs that need quoting for to be done ahead of the winter - not least the rest of the windows! :o
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • Definitely no regrets towards spending on "once in a lifetimes" when the money is there to cover such things - this is the very reason we budget for fun! :D

You've reminded me that we too have house jobs that need quoting for to be done ahead of the winter - not least the rest of the windows! :o

Totally... I faced up to my shuffle on Sunday and the damage isn't as bad as I had thought. However, I really need to get straightened out with the credit card because even though YNAB tells me I'm OK, I don't quite understand how and would prefer to just see it cleared. My statement is due any minute so will see what happens there.

Ought to spend money on house things but tempted to try and have one more escape northwards before winter...

Rosa xx
    Save
  • I can understand those sorts of temptations...we're planning a Christmassy trip both North and West... :D
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills