IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Eye county court claim

Hi, not sure if this fine should be paid or not as I feel the situation is quite unusual...

So back in November 2016 I incurred a number of parking eye fines over the course of a couple of weeks, adding up to several hundred pounds.
Just some background: at my workplace, there is additional parking on a nearby hotel that is enforced by parking eye. As standard procedure, I notified my employers of my registration number so that I would not have any fines from Parking Eye. Due to stupidly mistyping the registration, I went on to be charged until I eventually found out what had happened and was able to amend this to prevent any further fines.

At this time, I immediately notified Parking Eye of the mix up via the online appeal system on their website by lodging each fine individually. In response, several weeks later in December I received several automated emails for each fine advising that the respective charges had been dropped. I did however receive notification that one charge was still valid. No explanation was provided as to why all had been dropped apart from this one.

I assumed this was an error so did not provide any response, however I have this week received a county court claim letter for this one charge that has not been removed. The demand is now for £100 to be paid within 14 days.

Due to having all other charges dropped, I see no reason why this particular one should still be outstanding. Have parking eye not effectively admitted there is no case to answer by cancelling the other fines?

I would greatly appreciate any advice as to how I can dispute this and whether there are any grounds for this issue to be taken to court considering the circumstances?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 March 2017 at 12:21AM
    for a atart , these are not FINES, they are invoices

speculative INVOICES, nothing more

the paperwork would have mentioned their real names, Parking Charge Notices, or PCN,S for short

anybody can issue an invoice for almost any reason, so yes they can do so if they wish as there is nothing to stop them from issuing these invoices at all

before posting, you should have read the NEWBIES sticky thread at the top of this forum

now we need to establish what you have received

is it an LBC demanding £100 , from PE themselves ?

OR , is it an MCOL from Northampton ? (court papers)

if its an MCOL, then post #2 of that NEWBIES thread tells you all about it

it is important for us to know EXACTLY what you have received there, because if its a court case you DEFEND it, you dont respond , you dont dispute , you DEFEND

PE issue over 25 THOUSAND court claims per annum, so its nothing new , neither are your "circumstances" either, if PE wish to issue an MCOL and they pay the fee , they can do so

you have 14 days to DEFEND yourself if its a court claim, so you need to double that by acknowledging the claim online , to extend it to 28 days , so you can prepare a defence
  • Thanks for your response.

So to clarify, this is a 'letter before county court claim' issued from PE themselves.

It does mention on the letter that there is no longer an opportunity to appeal this through POPLA as the 28 days to do so have elapsed. So what would be the best thing to do at this point?
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    first job is to edit the TITLE of post #1 and state its an LBCCC , not an MCOL (not a county court claim) - as you are misleading people

then you prepare a rebuttal and send it or preferably email it to PE

there is advice in the sticky threads about responding to an LBC (or LBCCC as PE like to call them , it used to be an LBA)

I would use the forum search box as well, looking for recent LBC replies to ANY ppc over the last 15 months or so (2016 to 2017), also check pepipoo forums (use a gmail address for signup) for similar LBC rebuttals as well

the lazydaisy LBCCC thread hasnt been updated in quite some time so some info has been superceded

this will morph into an MCOL from Northampton if you do nothing (so court papers, a court claim via the small claims court) - then you initial post is valid about court claims

as an aside , you should be striving to get this cancelled by your employer or the hotel , same as all the others

and yes its too late for popla as PE will refuse to give you a popla code
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Rymundo wrote: »
    Thanks for your response.

So to clarify, this is a 'letter before county court claim' issued from PE themselves.

It does mention on the letter that there is no longer an opportunity to appeal this through POPLA as the 28 days to do so have elapsed. So what would be the best thing to do at this point?

You must mail PE to get them to drop this one - URGENTLY!

enforcement@parkingeye.co.uk

Sounds like it slipped through the net. PE do cancel charges even at LBCCC stage, when people robustly point out the error of PE's ways or show mitigating circs, even this late. In your case, you should say what you said to us and maybe forward a few of the cancellation emails and suggest they missed one.

If you don't act quickly you WILL be defending a small claim and it will roll on like a machine. Get this sorted on Monday with an email exchange, and reply every time, don't leave the ball in their court of fobbed off first time by someone not quite getting it.

Be a thorn in their side, responding again and again till it is cancelled.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Thanks for your advice. I have today sent the email to PE describing the circumstances and I have also forwarded the cancellation emails.

I will provide an update with their response when I get one.

In the meantime I have continued to chase the matter both at work and with the hotel, so hopefully one way or another, this remaining charge can be cancelled.
  • Parking Eye have today emailed me confirming that the charge has been dropped.

Thanks for your help guys :)
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Yay - thought so, from what you described.

PE are one of few firms who (despite being greedy, litigious, pretty nasty and using ANPR rubbish which fails to 'manage' car parks) have the single redeeming feature that their LBCCCs can be almost treated as a final appeal stage, using the 'enforcement' email address.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure