Cowboy Builders and smalll claims courts

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I post on this board every day, not last year, and every poster has added positively to posts. You may have taken a dislike, but they are not trolls.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    I post on this board every day, not last year, and every poster has added positively to posts. You may have taken a dislike, but they are not trolls.

How does it help to suggest Kaya get an expert report? Only a court can order this. Kaya could automatically lose any case by following this advice.
  • Doozergirl
    And how is that trolling, exactly?

Posts will always differ from each other. If someone is wrong about something, it's easy to set things straight. Including a link is often helpful.

Putting people down is not a way to build yourself up.
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    I'm not sure anyone suggested getting an expert witness report and I certainly didn't notice any trolls.

I'm new to this moneyclaim fun as I'm currently making a claim against a client and I have found it anything but straightforward.

One thing I seem to recall reading in all the confusing guidance is that you can get a third party report but it has to be proportionate to the claim and you can only reclaim a maximum of £200 which pretty much excludes any expert anyway. I thought the gist of it was they didn't want people spending thousands on expert witnesses and complex legal arguments for what is supposed to be a simple fast track legal process.

Mind you fast track is a bit of a joke, I've been waiting months for a court date.
  • Annie1960
    And how is that trolling, exactly?

Posts will always differ from each other. If someone is wrong about something, it's easy to set things straight. Including a link is often helpful.

Putting people down is not a way to build yourself up.

I have no interest in 'building myself up', whatever that means. I am trying to let the OP know that the advice to get an expert report could well lead to them losing the case, as it is against the protocols on the Justice website.

There are very specific things people need to do in this situation, and the Justice system sets them out.
  • Doozergirl
    And I've said that's fine. Calling people trolls because they don't say what you think is not.

It's really quite simple. There is no trolling, please don't say there is!
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2017 at 9:27AM
    Accusations of being a troll simply detract from common sense and also every day commercial sense.

OP paid cash for a job that will be judged as an attempt to avoid VAT. £59K on one private job in one year is almost inevitablly meaning the VAT threshold will be breached. A contract was not issued, and there are allegations of a defective ufh. Here it is said OP colluded with the builder to hide this from Building Control.

Call me troll - my shoulders are broad, but with these points it will be difficult to win a court case. The builder only has to say the customer discussed evading VAT, refused a Contract, wanted work hidden from the inspector, colluded on whatever...and so on and what do any sensible person think the Judge will think.

How does OP know the extent of defective works and what is required to put them right? That is why an expert report is required. It is to sort out the mess. It can subsequently be part of the legal mechanism if it goes that far. I say that far because OP expects the Court to sort all this out when I am not confident any good will come of this. Be realistic here. The Court will not deprive a builder of the tools of his trade so the dumper and all will be safe. The Court will not kick the builder out of his home. So this will be safe. The court will not seize a quarter of a yacht - simply because this is impossible.

OP persists in arguing how can they be expected to be an expert? Here the answer is blindingly obvious. If the work was undertaken as a commercial contract be it a council house build, or a Housing Association, or a new office block then a Clerk Of Works would be engaged (or a similar role and title/role.) Here OP has engaged nobody, and paid nothing to protect their interests. Even if OP now comes back and argues ignorance of this, then ignorance is no defence in a Court. So again this weakens any Court case.

Whist it almost far too late in the day to do so, this Clerk Of Works, or similar, would be the person writing the expert report. This person would also intervene to try to get both parties to see common sense. This is a common sense procedure that any savvy consumer would follow. If matters stagnate, or fail, a plan B may be needed. This plan could be a Court. Why Annie1960 maintains an expert report will weaken one rights is a mystery to me.

To assist all mse users, I would add the most recent expert report I commissioned from a Clerk of Works cost £400, and hey presto, the case never went anywhere near a solicitor or a Court. Basically the other party had no defence against the report - it was blindingly obvious what was wrong.

OP has paid £55K, my report cost represents less than 1% of this, yet Annie1960 says this is the wrong way forward.

We are not all slaves to the legal system - some of us are proactive and want quick, simple resolutions to issues. This is the basis behind my posts and my stance.

Sorry Annie1960 we will have to agree to disagree. In my defence I suspect I have been involved in vastly more building work than you have. Nobody knows everything, but I do have a reasonable knowledge of how the construction industry works.
  • Annie1960
    And I've said that's fine. Calling people trolls because they don't say what you think is not.

It's really quite simple. There is no trolling, please don't say there is!

The definition of a troll is someone who uses ad hominem argumrnts, often in an attempt to provoke an emotional response.

See for example post no 16, which uses ad hominem arguments.
  • Annie1960
    Furts wrote: »

Call me troll - my shoulders are broad, but with these points it will be difficult to win a court case. The builder only has to say the customer discussed evading VAT, refused a Contract, wanted work hidden from the inspector, colluded on whatever...and so on and what do any sensible person think the Judge will think.

How does OP know the extent of defective works and what is required to put them right? That is why an expert report is required. It is to sort out the mess.

The Jutice system lays down very specific ways in which expert reports are permitted. The OP should not do this unilaterally.

It can subsequently be part of the legal mechanism if it goes that far. I say that far because OP expects the Court to sort all this out when I am not confident any good will come of this. Be realistic here. The Court will not deprive a builder of the tools of his trade so the dumper and all will be safe. The Court will not kick the builder out of his home. So this will be safe. The court will not seize a quarter of a yacht - simply because this is impossible.

What are your legal qualifications? I suspect none.

Sorry Annie1960 we will agree to disagree. In my defence I suspect I have been involved in vastly more building work than you have. Nobody knows everything, but I do have a reasonable knowledge of how the construction industry works.

You made a number of comments on my case last year where you tried to pass yourself off as someone who had expertise and knew what they were talking about. When I got proper advice, most of your comments turned out to be rubbish.

The OP is asking for legal advice and I have referred them to legitimate sources, having gone through a similar issue myself. If I had done what you had suggested I would have lost.

The OP may well be a vulnerable person from what they say, and using ad hominem arguments helps nobody.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    The definition of a troll is someone who uses ad hominem argumrnts, often in an attempt to provoke an emotional response.

See for example post no 16, which uses ad hominem arguments.

I work in the real world of the construction industry and had no idea what this term means. I apologise for my ignorance but I have Googled the term.

You are saying I am directing my posts personally. My response is a person is posting and the advice given is intended for them. You may not like what is posted but that does not detract from the truth and the reality.

The reason I post as I do is a fundamental which is also in the real world, but it is a fundamental which escapes many consumers. This fundamental is three fold. It is that consumers can be the victim of their own misfortune, and it is the opposite of the cliche because the consumer is not always right. Having accepted these two points one should stand back, remove emotional involvement and then engage the third fundamental. This fundamental is exactly what has gone wrong? Only by analysing what has gone wrong can a strategy be adopted to move forward in an attempt to correct this wrong.

I have pointed out what has gone wrong. I have then explained that the strategy of relying on the courts to gain a satisfactory solution is not an odds on bet to success. I have then given an acceptable way forward. You choose to call this "ad hominem" which is puzzling to me, but i can live with that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure