Real life MMD: Do I punish the cleaner?

Comments

• MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    While staying in a hotel in Istanbul, I came back one evening to find my entire toiletries bag, worth c.£200, missing. The manager said the cleaner had mistaken it for rubbish as I'd wrapped it in plastic bags to avoid leakage.

So they threw out the entire bag because it was wrapped in plastic?
    Or the contents were wrapped in plastic individually & each item was taken out & thrown?
    Either way its not on & doesn't sound much like an accident to me, an accident might be knocking an expensive glass face cream jar & smashing it on the floor, not "accidentally" chucking out £200 worth of toiletries.

I think the people who are trying to justify the loss because they feel £200 is an awful amount is a real cop out.
    These people have paid for a hotel room they are entitled to bring their usual belongings & not have anyone steal/break or dispose of them.

I could easily have £200 worth of toiletries & make up when I go on holiday.

I say make her replace it, because I don't believe its an accident anyway (sounds like theft) & the hotel are using emotional blackmail to try & stop the guest getting their goods replaced.
    We pay enough to stay in hotels & are entitled to expect our things to be safe in our room.
  • skintc
    skintc Posts: 31 Forumite
    While staying in a hotel in Istanbul, I came back one evening to find my entire toiletries bag, worth c.£200, missing. The manager said the cleaner had mistaken it for rubbish as I'd wrapped it in plastic bags to avoid leakage.

So your toiletries bag wasn't leaking, it was just inside a plastic carrier bag? So everything in a plastic carrier bag should be deemed as rubbish?

Let's forget the fact the £200 is a lot of money for toiletries (to some people), what if she had bought a £200 souvenir while on holiday, and that was wrapped up in a carrier bag and had been "thrown away"?

I don't think we should assume it was stolen but at the end of the day a mistake was made and you deserve to be reimbursed for your loss. The hotel is very unprofessional for telling you that they're going to take it out of the cleaner's wages, but that wouldn't stop me agreeing to it.

I'm surprised at how many people are saying if you can afford £200 toiletries you can afford to replace them. How does that work? If I can afford a £1000 pair of shoes does that mean I can afford to replace them? Just because someone has the money to buy something expensive doesn't mean that they can afford to spend that money all over again.
  • jazmad
    jazmad Posts: 24 Forumite
    I think this is a good example for people who immediately demand compensation that businesses are not faceless corporations but involve real people and ultimately the cost must be borne by someone. The hotel could have paid you £200 and taken it from the maid without you knowing, and whilst your conscience may have been clear, the maid would be no better off.

Whether or not to request compensation here is a difficult call, and one for you to make based on your conscience. Personally, I probably wouldn't request compensation although it might depend on whether I felt the mistake was honest and easy to make or whether it shouldn't have happened.
  • Dan_Thunder
    Dan_Thunder Posts: 433 Forumite
    Maybe it's the bag and not the toiletries that was worth £200? Regardless, that's not important.

The first thing to do is to check with the hotel whether this is something that has happened previously with this particular employee or any others. If so then it sounds like it could be someone ripping you off as you'd think they'd learn from the first occassion if it was an accident.

If it's the only time then I'd just either let it go or ask for a smaller amount of compensation i.e. £50. I imagine that £200 would be a hell of a lot for a cleaner to lose in Turkey - hell it'd be a lot for me!

I'd also complain to the operator you paid for the holiday through. It's very unprofessional for a hotel to state that any compensation will be deducted from the employees wages as it leaves you in a moral quandary - as it clearly has in this case!
  • palmera2
    palmera2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    I'd want the money back, and I wouldn't care if it came out of her wages ~ she should have kept her mucky hands to herself.

IM not keen on the idea you think all chambermaids have MUCKY HANDS!
    mistakes happen..and from experience the filth I have had to clean up from some visitors is beyond belief.
  • I think you have to be very fiirm here to protect others in future. She was obviously at it and her relationship with her employer is not a matter for you. What would you have done if it was a British hotel?
    Too many softies on here.:cool:
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The way the manager is behaving makes me suspect that he has something to do with what could well be a regular scam - basically he is saying "shut up or you will be responsible for suffering".
    I would certainly insist on replacement items/full compensation, at the same time as making it clear that I blame the chambermaid's training, ie the hotel, and refuse to be forced into deciding if she should have the sack or not.
    I would also contact any rep in your area plus the company you booked the holiday with.
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    palmera2 wrote: »
    I'd want the money back, and I wouldn't care if it came out of her wages ~ she should have kept her mucky hands to herself.

IM not keen on the idea you think all chambermaids have MUCKY HANDS!
    mistakes happen..and from experience the filth I have had to clean up from some visitors is beyond belief.

Another who doesn't read but likes to stomp their feet over something that just isn't there! :cool:

Can you show me where...

means I think ALL chambermaids have mucky hands?

This situation sounds to me like a con job, hence me saying mucky hands.

So please don't make out I have said something when I haven't.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I agree with most other posters. The hotel has come up with an ingenious way to get the customer to withdraw the complaint. I think that if the guest were to insist on the compensation, the missing toiletries would mysteriously appear.
  • MrsGWoman
    MrsGWoman Posts: 7 Forumite
    I would ask for some of the money back - say 25% of it - that way you are not bankrupting the cleaner, but she will learn a lesson about being careful in the future. Also, you never know if the hotel is "trying it on" - taking you on a guilt trip....
    I think taking a small percentage of it back would be the fairest option all round!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure