Looking ahead.. Ryanair next summer

Comments

• sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    I am leaning towards them a bit more, when I first ran the prices it wasn't bad but I dismissed the family package thingy as they are usually full of stuff you don't need.

Checking again, the Ryanair pack actually has exactly what I need cheap, reserved seats, priority boarding and a couple of checked bags. So with that the price looks even better than when I added things separately.

Does 'priority boarding' work on Ryanair?

Whenever I have seen a gate waiting for one of their flights people start queuing really early and its usually very long. I always assumed it was people too cheap to pay for reserved seating so were trying to get on first to grab seats together or wanted to grab cabin lockers and avoid the delay the other end from having their bags compulsorily checked when the space ran out.

Never really noticed what goes on, I presume they put out a call for priority seats first and let them on otherwise the unreserved people wouldn't know which were free.

Either way, it won't be Easyjet again.. delayed over 3 hours and wandering around a sleeping Greek town at 2am trying to find some drinking water in 28C heat, not fun.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • sillygoose wrote: »
    I am leaning towards them a bit more, when I first ran the prices it wasn't bad but I dismissed the family package thingy as they are usually full of stuff you don't need.

Checking again, the Ryanair pack actually has exactly what I need cheap, reserved seats, priority boarding and a couple of checked bags. So with that the price looks even better than when I added things separately.

Does 'priority boarding' work on Ryanair?

Whenever I have seen a gate waiting for one of their flights people start queuing really early and its usually very long. I always assumed it was people too cheap to pay for reserved seating so were trying to get on first to grab seats together or wanted to grab cabin lockers and avoid the delay the other end from having their bags compulsorily checked when the space ran out.

Never really noticed what goes on, I presume they put out a call for priority seats first and let them on otherwise the unreserved people wouldn't know which were free.

Either way, it won't be Easyjet again.. delayed over 3 hours and wandering around a sleeping Greek town at 2am trying to find some drinking water in 28C heat, not fun.

There are no unreserved people on Ryanair. Everyone that doesn't prebook seats is allocated one by their system when they check in online.

They operate 2 queues at the boarding gate. A priority queue and a non priority queue. Priority boards first.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    ...They've cancelled a tiny percentage of their flights....

There's nothing tiny about the number of flights cancelled and the number of passengers inconvenienced which is enormous. One flight cancelled is 189 passengers, which is 189 too many and absolutely unacceptable.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • sillygoose
    There are no unreserved people on Ryanair. Everyone that doesn't prebook seats is allocated one by their system when they check in online.

They operate 2 queues at the boarding gate. A priority queue and a non priority queue. Priority boards first.

Thanks. If everyone has a seat, why do they start queue so early? is it just to avoid the baggage reclaim the other end? or to get the armrest first! :rotfl:
    Thanks. If everyone has a seat, why do they start queue so early? is it just to avoid the baggage reclaim the other end? or to get the armrest first! :rotfl:

I've never noticed people queuing particularly early, but once the gate is announced people will queue when they get there, like with any airline. Ryanair only have short turnaround times, around 30/35 mins, and the gate closes 20 mins prior so you need to be queuing straight away anyway. Some non priority boarders will want to be at the beginning of the queue in the hope they'll be able to keep their hand luggage with them. It's not always about waiting for bags because lots of people check bags anyway, often about not parting with things they can't afford to lose. It's advisable to always have a second smaller bag that you can put valuables in should your bag be gate checked. That applies with every airline.
  • sillygoose
    I've never noticed people queuing particularly early, but once the gate is announced people will queue when they get there, like with any airline. Ryanair only have short turnaround times, around 30/35 mins, and the gate closes 20 mins prior so you need to be queuing straight away anyway. Some non priority boarders will want to be at the beginning of the queue in the hope they'll be able to keep their hand luggage with them. It's not always about waiting for bags because lots of people check bags anyway, often about not parting with things they can't afford to lose. It's advisable to always have a second smaller bag that you can put valuables in should your bag be gate checked. That applies with every airline.

Thank you this is really useful advice! as I have never used them. One more please, do priority boarders pretty much always get their cases onboard or are they in the majority these days so it makes little difference to your chances?
    Thank you this is really useful advice! as I have never used them. One more please, do priority boarders pretty much always get their cases onboard or are they in the majority these days so it makes little difference to your chances?

Priority boarders are guaranteed to keep their hand luggage. The number of priority boarders is limited.
  • richardw wrote: »
    There's nothing tiny about the number of flights cancelled and the number of passengers inconvenienced which is enormous. One flight cancelled is 189 passengers, which is 189 too many and absolutely unacceptable.

The sums.
    Ryanair has cancelled 2,000 flights.
    Ryanair makes 500,000 flights a year.
    It's tiny.
    Of course you may choose not to fly with them if you're dissatisfied but all the evidence - and Ryanair's share price - show others aren't.
    Ryanair actually carried 10% more passengers in September.
    Ker-ching.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    ....Ryanair has cancelled 2,000 flights....

That's a maximum of 378,000 passengers affected, much bigger than I thought, and all because of poor pilot rostering and management, not 'extraordinary' circumstances. Some of those passengers will have missed very important things that can't have been rescheduled and all because Ryanair think they can do what they like and ignore regulations and the CAA.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • BarryBlue
    BarryBlue Posts: 4,179 Forumite
    We flew Ryanair last Saturday back into the UK from Spain. The flight was almost full, and lots of people were discussing the current situation as many were regular flyers who had homes in both countries. Several people were saying that they were baling out of Ryanair because they appear now that they cannot be trusted to provide the flights. I think their passenger numbers may fall next year until people trust them again.

Our flights were certainly cheap, having been booked in June, and what you get is very basic. We can manage 10 days on a 10kg bag and a small under-seat bag (no weight limit) each. We don't worry if we aren't allocated seats together, although the seat allocation policy seems deliberately designed to alienate passengers. But, to be fair, our flights were on time both ways.
    Priority boarders are guaranteed to keep their hand luggage. The number of priority boarders is limited.
    I do wonder about that. For our flight on Saturday we were at the front of the non-priority queue, and my wife counted the priority boarders as they went past. There were 62 of them! So what is the limit? I have always suspected it is strictly limited to the number they can sell.;)
    :dance:We're gonna be alright, dancin' on a Saturday night:dance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport