Universal Job Match - where are all the jobs?

Not sure whats going on but most of the jobs seem to have disappeared from universal job match. Maybe they are closing it down giving it a gradual death - or stopped companies posting jobs. Either way the volume of jobs now make it pointless to use. The searches I did generated zero results. RIP

Comments

• I've applied for a job from UJM today, granted it's a rarity, weirdly it didn't let me log in from a normal PC so I've had to squint producing the cover letter trying to use the iPad, only device it did allow me to log on through!!
  • jessex1990
    jessex1990 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Its probably just an issue with UJ, there were quite a few people at my jobcentre complaining about their account getting locked for no reason and the password reset isn't working for them either. Always try to help out older people whilst im there doing my own jobsearches.
  • Stylehutz
    Stylehutz Posts: 351 Forumite
    Need to shut the damn thing down. It's not fit for purpose
  • mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    The number of jobs over the last couple of months or so advertised on UJM has vastly gone down compared to before.

There are actually far less jobs advertised on Indeed too, I've noticed.
  • TyreLever
    TyreLever Posts: 212
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Stylehutz wrote: »
    Need to shut the damn thing down. It's not fit for purpose

That applies to the jobcenter aswell. You go there to sign on but there is absolutely no help available for you to actually get a job. A job center should:

Arrange suitable training such as CSCS courses, forklift or lorry driving etc.

Liaise with employers and arrange interviews for you where possible.

Expert staff to review/redo your CV upon signing on. Also guide you on cover letters and assist with application forms.

Jobcenters dont do any of this stuff. In fact you cant even go there to initiate your claim, you have to do that by telephone or internet which drags things out. I'd like to think they will at least let you do this on one of their computers. Staff there are worse than useless. IME they wouldnt even let me use their toilets, they just said to use the pub next door. I suppose its all part of the system to put you off benefits. Like we would choose to live on £70 per week.
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    TyreLever wrote: »
    That applies to the jobcenter aswell. You go there to sign on but there is absolutely no help available for you to actually get a job. A job center should:

Expert staff to review/redo your CV upon signing on. Also guide you on cover letters and assist with application forms.

Jobcenters dont do any of this stuff. In fact you cant even go there to initiate your claim, you have to do that by telephone or internet which drags things out. I'd like to think they will at least let you do this on one of their computers. Staff there are worse than useless. IME they wouldnt even let me use their toilets, they just said to use the pub next door. I suppose its all part of the system to put you off benefits. Like we would choose to live on £70 per week.

Are you incapable of doing any of the above yourself? They're all things that a jobseeker should be doing for themselves.
  • Stylehutz
    Stylehutz Posts: 351 Forumite

They used to do all of that but not any more. They just seem to want to sanction you these days
  • TyreLever
    TyreLever Posts: 212
    Forumite
    Stylehutz wrote: »
    They used to do all of that but not any more. They just seem to want to sanction you these days

Exactly. They make an already bad situation even worse. How does sanctioning people help them out of unemployment?
    IAmWales wrote: »
    Are you incapable of doing any of the above yourself? They're all things that a jobseeker should be doing for themselves.

Given the difficulty of getting a job, I guess not. The Jobcenter should be a form of rehabilitation for the unemployed, not what it is currently.
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
  • jessex1990
    jessex1990 Posts: 137 Forumite

My local jobcentre does all of that, (except for use the toilets) unless its for changing a babies nappy or very young children - public liability insurance, data protection as there is confidential files in the back area etc...
  • jbond
    jbond Posts: 107
    Forumite
    UJM has always been beset with problems, full of fake jobs, massive levels of duplication, which makes looking for work so much harder for people, and I don't even think that the search facility has ever worked very well (certainly on a geographical level).
    Some of the 'companies' that would advertise on there in the past, have just been scammers.

As for the jobcentres themselves, it seems as if the levels of 'service' vary depending on the jobcentre, and the general attitudes/atmosphere of the staff etc. These days, they are really only there to make your life as difficult as possible, to try to find any possible way they can to sanction you, kick you off benefits, regardless of what type of person you are, or how able-bodied you are.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure