Air con down

50Twuncle
50Twuncle Posts: 10,763
Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Forumite
My wifes 3 1/2 year old (15,000 mile) Suzuki Swift air con died today - it now makes a grinding noise when run - what is this likely to be and cost ?

Comments

• wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Might just need a regas, I've used the cool car franchise before, they do a regas and device for £60
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    wgl2014 wrote: »
    Might just need a regas, I've used the cool car franchise before, they do a regas and device for £60

Not a mission of it just needing a regas if its making grinding noises.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    My wifes 3 1/2 year old (15,000 mile) Suzuki Swift air con died today - it now makes a grinding noise when run - what is this likely to be and cost ?

If it has a Suzuki history, i'd be trying my Suzuki dealer to get Suzuki UK to pay it. It shouldnt have failed at that age / miles.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    When my old Saab 9-3 air con played up it made some odd noises which could be described as grinding, it needed regassing and was fine after this.

I do agree though that if something is kaput then it would be worth approaching Suzuki.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If there's insufficient refrigerant pressure in the aircon system, then the compressor clutch simply won't engage - no grinding noises, it'll be the same as if it was turned off.

If there's grinding noises, then I'd be more inclined to suspect belt tensioners (if it's a separate belt, which is unlikely on a modern car) or the compressor itself. If it's on the same serpentine belt as other ancillaries, then you DEFINITELY want to get it sorted before the belt gets thrown. If the water pump's on the same belt, then that could kill the engine if you ignore warning lights.

You're outside warranty, though, so very much dependent on goodwill for any contribution from Suzuki Cars UK. With such a low mileage, the first thing they'll look at is whether the time-based servicing schedule has been kept up.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    wgl2014 wrote: »
    We were planning on Suzuki's..
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Do you still get cold air. If you do it could well be the alternator bearing rumbling when the air con clutch engages and changes the loading on the shared belt.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I had 3 visits thankfuly in warranty

recgassed etc fault was a leaking air con pipe since replaced
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Grinding may indicate a damaged condensor, which basically drops the AC oil all over the road and if left running will eventually destroy the now un-lubricated compressor.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,264
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 7 July 2017 at 2:21PM
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Grinding may indicate a damaged condensor, which basically drops the AC oil all over the road and if left running will eventually destroy the now un-lubricated compressor.
    Eh! The gas runs through the condenser, if the condenser is damaged the gas is lost and the compressor clutch will not operate due to no pressure and the compressor will not run, so how will that destroy it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure