Cancelling Post Office Credit Card - Postal Address?

Tried telephoning to cancel my Post Office Credit Card and on two occasion's I've been told that their 'system is down' and the address I need to cancel is on my statement,

As I've not used the card for 2 years I don't have any statements and I'm really finding it difficult to find an address to send my cancellation letter too,

The only address I can find is from 2010:

Post Office Financial Services
PO BOX 52746
London
EC4P 4WP

Could anyone kindly confirm that this is the correct address to send my letter too?

Thanks.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,401
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    According to clause 9 of the product Ts & Cs linked from http://www.postoffice.co.uk/credit-card, the postal payment option, which is presumably what's printed on the statements, is
    By post: Complete the payment slip on your monthly statement and post it with a cheque/Postal Order made payable to ‘Bank of Ireland’. Please remember to write your credit card Account number on the reverse of the cheque and post it to Post Office Money Credit Cards, PO Box 897, Belfast, BT1 9AE
  • mark5211
    mark5211 Posts: 184
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for your help Ill try sending it too:

Post Office Money
    Credit Cards
    PO BOX 52746
    London
    EC4P 4WP

Just wondered if they might have changed address since 2010, extremely difficult account to close though!
  • I just cancelled my Post Office Credit Card over the phone.
    0117 373 3861
    A letter of confirmation will be posted out to me in 3-5 working days.
  • I just managed to cancel mine on the phone too. Same number as previous post.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,244
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Why do people want to cancel one of the few credit cards that gives a perfect exchange rate for international transactions? Could it be something to do with their, erm, original approach to customer service?
  • Weybridge78
    Weybridge78 Posts: 208
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Pathetic customer service and general administration perhaps.
  • tomcoady
    tomcoady Posts: 6 Forumite
    Why do people want to cancel one of the few credit cards that gives a perfect exchange rate for international transactions? Could it be something to do with their, erm, original approach to customer service?
    • 4/5/17 statement balance £10.48 payable by 19/5/17
    • I was away from home this entire 2 weeks, but saw it was time to setup payment by direct debit which was acknowledged on 5/6/17 by email, then by letter 6/6/17 which arrived 10/6/17
    • On 2/6/17 Post Office Money wrote a snail mail setting out late payment fee of £12 payable by 31/5/17, received on 9/6/17.
    • I phoned immediately to pay the whole balance of £120 by credit card as they claim they can't take payment by direct debit for some reason.

When I asked to close the account they said this wasn't possible until 12/6/17 as they needed to wait for clearance of funds paid by debit card!! When I suggested they do just that on 12/6 they insisted it was only possible to close the account on same day it was requested.

They also said the rules obliged them to ask me if I was in any financial difficulty. Well only the fact that the late payment fee exceeded the amount owed.

I understand the Bank of Ireland runs this entire fiasco, maybe explaining the 7 day delay of their postal correspondence. Also love the way they force you to enter the 16 digit card number to the automatic reply bot only to ask the same information when speaking to one of their charmless drones.

Instead of inviting me to pay the balance due, their online portal just let me setup direct debit instead when it had already sent the late payment fee.

Hope this rant helps others considering using their service which is in itself a swizzle as the fee free FX is paid for by really lousy exchange rates.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    tomcoady wrote: »
    • 4/5/17 statement balance £10.48 payable by 19/5/17
    • I was away from home this entire 2 weeks, but saw it was time to setup payment by direct debit which was acknowledged on 5/6/17 by email, then by letter 6/6/17 which arrived 10/6/17
    • On 2/6/17 Post Office Money wrote a snail mail setting out late payment fee of £12 payable by 31/5/17, received on 9/6/17.
    • I phoned immediately to pay the whole balance of £120 by credit card as they claim they can't take payment by direct debit for some reason.

When I asked to close the account they said this wasn't possible until 12/6/17 as they needed to wait for clearance of funds paid by debit card!! When I suggested they do just that on 12/6 they insisted it was only possible to close the account on same day it was requested.

They also said the rules obliged them to ask me if I was in any financial difficulty. Well only the fact that the late payment fee exceeded the amount owed.

I understand the Bank of Ireland runs this entire fiasco, maybe explaining the 7 day delay of their postal correspondence. Also love the way they force you to enter the 16 digit card number to the automatic reply bot only to ask the same information when speaking to one of their charmless drones.

Instead of inviting me to pay the balance due, their online portal just let me setup direct debit instead when it had already sent the late payment fee.

Hope this rant helps others considering using their service which is in itself a swizzle as the fee free FX is paid for by really lousy exchange rates.

They do seem to have a crap set up, I don't know as I've avoided using them, but all the above is self inflicted.

You missed a payment, set up a direct debit after the event, which is fine but obviously can't be done retrospectively and were charged a fee. Can't se anything wrong with that from the card providers perspective, if you can't be organised to use credit responsibly then don't avail yourself of it.
  • I accidentally paid them twice, which took me into credit. I phoned and asked them to return the overpayment but I was advised to contact my own bank and ask them to reverse the payment.
    'Why would I do that, when I made a mistake ?' I asked them and they said that was the only way to do it.
    I decided to close the card there and then as I had only used it for the 0% interest free facility and they did this over the phone.

I also made a complaint but there has been no follow up whatsoever.

I called my bank and asked them theoretically what they would have done if I asked them to reverse a payment that I made by mistake. They confirmed my understanding that they wouldnt reverse a payment that was my mistake.

Dreadful customer service - and the advisor was quite aggressive too.
  • I must be one of the lucky ones as I have been wirh them nearly two years with no issues. And I even changed the source of my DD in that time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure