PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Comments

• ForumUser
    ForumUser Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Mailbox / telephone table?
  • DumbMuscle
    DumbMuscle Posts: 244 Forumite
    ForumUser wrote: »
    Mailbox / telephone table?
    Not a mailbox - Comparing that picture with the floorplan makes me think it's in the dining room, so that's not the front door. Probably a telephone table or some kind of meter/fusebox.
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,834 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Am I the only one that would get a bit nervous at the thought of buying a repossession?

Yes...I know...I know....they were a repossession because of the way the previous owners' finances were one way or another....:cool:

But I'd still feel nervous that maybe I wasn't as impregnable as I've done my best to ensure I am - despite the way I run my finances and whether it might be "catching" so to say iyswim....

I'd want reassuring that that had happened to them because of their personal financial mismanagement - rather than "a stroke of incredibly bad luck" that even the most determined "survivor"/pretty good money manager (ie someone like me) could fight off iyswim.

15-20 years ago it was a popular pastime to buy a house with 100% mortgage which lenders were eager to throw at you in those days, then sit back and do nothing. After about a year the lender would repossess, auction it for 25% more than you 'paid' and send the surplus to you. Perhaps not ethical but quite legal and profitable. How times have changed!

It could be a repo but might also have been vandalised. Ripping the CH boiler and other fixtures out of an unoccupied house is not unknown in some areas.

You might not want to live in a repo, MoneyisToo, but how would you know? Repossessions are bought by builders, tarted up and sold as good as new in a few weeks.

If you are nervous at the thought of a repossession, what about a house in which someone has died? Jacobean, Georgian, Victorian properties are highly desirable yet it is certain that people, including babies and children, have died in them.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45646467.html
    Original kitchen
    50s/60s decor

Can anyone tell me what is the thing on the wall between the window and the door on pic 3?

Once saw something similar and it was to do with a pay as you go (as we would call in now) TV rental - there was a sort of meter box you put 10p pieces in from the old Rumbelows/radio rentals I think. There appears to be a TV aerial cable there.
  • lewisa
    lewisa Posts: 301 Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »
    You probably are.

Whatever the previous owner did with their finances or their life has no bearing on the next owner's situation.

Disagree.

Purchased a house Dec 2016, not even a repo.

So far had court bailiffs turn up twice for council tax and unpaid bus lanes.

Going to court in a couple of weeks to defend a warrant of entry from a utility company to the previous occupier.

Am i liable? No.

Is it a serious concern for me and my family? Yes. Especially the warrant of entry apllications beginning to occur.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    lewisa wrote: »
    Disagree.

Purchased a house Dec 2016, not even a repo.

So far had court bailiffs turn up twice for council tax and unpaid bus lanes.

Going to court in a couple of weeks to defend a warrant of entry from a utility company to the previous occupier.

Am i liable? No.

Is it a serious concern for me and my family? Yes. Especially the warrant of entry apllications beginning to occur.

Are you saying that you have already 'caught' the previous owner's bad habits, failing to pay bills, driving without due regard to the rules of the road etc and then denying liability?

If you are, fair enough.

If not, then you are talking about something else.
  • Sometimes things don't go by logic (even for those of us that are more focused than many on making decisions from logic and not from emotion).

It became clear over the (far too) many years spent in my starter house that somehow one house behind me always seemed to attract f*ckless types that liked top volume rows (it went through 4 owners in a row like that) and one next to me attracted those that soon developed a Major Problem of some description. My house had obviously spent decades attracting people that always made the best of their finances and were doing better than many others with the same resources available to them would have done.

There was no "rhyme or reason" to it - but that seemed to be the way it went...

I did start wondering about whether there is anything in feng shui at that point...
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I did start wondering about whether there is anything in feng shui at that point...

So, maybe it was the orientation of my school desk which was to blame, after all? :)
  • :rotfl:You never know Dave:rotfl:.

You have heard, I guess, of the supermarket that had a particular assistants checkout chair that had a "high turnover" on it - as the assistants sitting at it soon found themselves pregnant:rotfl:

The jury is still out re feng shui imo - and I dont know whether I think there is anything in it or no.

But, coincidentally;), a few things got altered around in my garden (which may - possibly - have been somewhat along those lines...) when I bought this house - as I definitely felt (amendment - was!) "under attack" by a couple of the neighbours doing their darndest to get me to move back (to my own area of the country) again. They've basically stopped now and my home feels very different to the way it did when I bought it (in a positive direction). I can see things feel very different in the road as a whole and the "balance" has changed a lot:)
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Are you saying that you have already 'caught' the previous owner's bad habits, failing to pay bills, driving without due regard to the rules of the road etc and then denying liability?

If you are, fair enough.

If not, then you are talking about something else.

Lewisa is understandably upset. I don't blame him for venting at every opportunity. :)
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure