What is the average electricity units per day?

Comments

• sparklewing
    sparklewing Posts: 455 Forumite
    Just to clarify about our electric useage. Although we are now using 10 units a day we have made a real effort to do this. Our lights are all energy saving and we take weekly readings and if it goes above 70 units a week we will spend the next week turning things off etc to reduce the useage again.

Our heating and hot water is all gas(use about £4 a week) and we got a new system installed but before we had an old back boiler and like the OP had to turn the heating on to have water so used an electric immersion. Our bills were a lot higher then.
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Just checked mine and we used 11.6 units per day. Little bit higher than normal but DH has been doing a lot of cementing so the cement mixer has been going a lot over the weekends. Pleased about that as that was over summer. Have no aircon but most nights fan is going.

We have gas for our hot water.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• mikeopvc
    mikeopvc Posts: 912
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Cardew wrote: »
    Doing what wrong?

If that consumption is correct, and not based on estimated meter readings, you are using a lot of electricity.

As moonrakerz states, you will use more in the winter, but you are likely to use about 3 times the UK average.

Please tell me I'm doing the calculations wrong was what I meant.
    I don't use any electrical goods that are out of the ordinary so was just a little concerned my average usage being 30 kwh when everyone elses seems to be around 10 kwh per day.
    The only thing I can think of is the under floor heating we fitted in the bathroom, it does have a night setting but it is actually always on.
  • I used only gas to heat the hot water and heating yesterday,no immersion! Used washing machine once during the day and once during the night,and used 17 units( 2 night, and 15 daytime) Still seems quite high compared to others.
    I cant understand why its still so high.I switch everything off at the plug when not in use, lights are turned off when no in use.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446
    Forumite
    mikeopvc wrote: »
    The only thing I can think of is the under floor heating we fitted in the bathroom, it does have a night setting but it is actually always on.

That's your problem then! Electric heating using day rate units is expensive but you know that now.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • mikeopvc
    Forumite
    I used only gas to heat the hot water and heating yesterday,no immersion! Used washing machine once during the day and once during the night,and used 17 units( 2 night, and 15 daytime) Still seems quite high compared to others.

How do know how many day and night units you are using? my meter only shows 1 reading.

Espresso, Thanks I will turn off the UFH for a day and see how much difference there is.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I used only gas to heat the hot water and heating yesterday,no immersion! Used washing machine once during the day and once during the night,and used 17 units( 2 night, and 15 daytime) Still seems quite high compared to others.

How do know how many day and night units you are using? my meter only shows 1 reading.

Espresso, Thanks I will turn off the UFH for a day and see how much difference there is.

If you have only one meter then you are paying a single rate for your electricity, not "day" & "night" rates.
  • mikeopvc
    Forumite
    Oh I see, Is this something I'm stuck with or can I change over to night and day rates like most people seem to be on? The meter was fitted only a couple of months ago by british gas but we are about to change to Eon for both fuels, do Eon do a day and night rate and if so would that mean another meter installation?
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,698
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    For the past 2 weeks my gas usage has been 4units or 44kwh a day, just heating(3 bed bungalow thermostat set at 20 ) and electric has been 9.5kwh a day. 3300kwh electric, 10000kwh gas last year, only 2 people, i think that will be on the low side, most peoples will be higher.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Oh I see, Is this something I'm stuck with or can I change over to night and day rates like most people seem to be on? The meter was fitted only a couple of months ago by british gas but we are about to change to Eon for both fuels, do Eon do a day and night rate and if so would that mean another meter installation?

If you wish to go onto Economy 7, or similar, you will need two meters. BUT... this only becomes economical if you use a lot of electricity at night, storage heaters etc, because you will pay more for your daytime units than you would on a single rate !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure