Renault sold me a display car without telling me! Help!

Options
Hi,

I picked up my 'brand new' Clio on Friday, and have since realised that the car has been used as a display car and possibly used for test drives.

I didn't notice anything wrong when I initially picked it up but have since noticed a number of things.

Firstly the 'delivery mileage' was 39 miles (which I thought was normal but apparently is normally 8 or 9)

Secondly, found a large chip out of the paintwork inside the passenger door as soon as i got home. Called the dealer to advise.

Next I started to notice more. Radio stations already tuned in, some greasy marks inside.

Finally, and most importantly, I noticed some small black marks had appeared on the paintwork on the drive home. Rubbed these off and took the car to be cleaned and it looked fine. Have been for a long drive today, and the black marks are back and much larger. Much to my surprise they are dirt sticking on glue on the outside of the car, from large stickers that have been on the car. It spells out the dealer's address and phone number, along with part of a large 'Renault' on the side.

I'm extremely unhappy, this car has obviously been on display outside the showroom, and possibly been on test drives. This was never mentioned when buying, I have paid for a new car and have got one with wear and tear from being outside.

Any advice on my rights or what I should do?

Thanks

Alec

Comments

• sharp910sh
    sharp910sh Posts: 523 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It cannot be a display model car with only 39 miles on it. They prob just had it in the forecourt.
  • Mattielovesmusicals
    Options
    Yes, but you don't expect a new car to have been sat on the forecourt with advertising stickers all over it, especially seeing as the remnants of the stickers are still there
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    If you'd had any sense you would have bought an ex demonstrator anyway. that way, you get an almost new car for a lot less cash.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • Mattielovesmusicals
    Options
    I'm sorry, I asked for advice, not criticism. I chose to buy a new car, whether you think that is sensible or not doesn't come into it
  • Buellguy
    Buellguy Posts: 629 Forumite
    Options
    'New' means you are the first owner, therefore it's new, sitting on the forecourt, they sit in large compounds in places like Avonmouth for much longer than that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Portbury_Dock

39 miles it a damn short test drive so I wouldn't worry about that.
    I'd get back to them and ask for a full, comprehensive valet to get rid of the adhesive on the outside of the car
  • Big_Tree
    Big_Tree Posts: 241 Forumite
    Options
    What you do is........listen carefully;

Clean the greasy marks
    Tune the radio stations to your own preference
    Use a tiny bit of petrol on a cloth to remove the glue
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • sleepymans
    sleepymans Posts: 902 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 April 2014 at 7:58PM
    Options
    Your new car is NOT an ex-demonstarter..... so relax and deal with the faults you have found by photographing them and going back to the dealer to get them resolved.

(Maybe next time, buy an ex-demonstration model then you only pay what its worth, But it would have hundreds, if not low thousands of mile on its clock)

Remember "new cars" are excellent value ...mainly because the manufacturer knows that you are locked into many years of expensive maintenance and repairs into the future)
    :A Goddess :A
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just because a car has sat on a forecourt doesn't make it not new, a lot of mass market, new cars could well have been sitting for months in a delivery depot or airfield somewhere waiting to be allocated to a new customer. I'm assuming you didn't have to wait that long for delivery?

As long as you're the first registered keeper then it's not been a demonstrator and 39 miles is perfectly reasonable for delivery mileage.
  • Mattielovesmusicals
    Options
    Thanks. I know im probably being a little over the top and maybe should just clean it. I knew it would be stored in a compound etc and that it wouldn't literally be straight out the factory. However the signs are that this has been outside, on display on the forecourt, in the elements, possibly for months. Surely this isn't right. I would expect to get a discount for a car that has been used as an advertisement /display, or at least to be informed
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Any advice on my rights or what I should do?

Thanks

Alec

Yes, you have the right to give off to them and to get them to get it properly valeted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure