Asda money changing thingy

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    I saw someone use a coin counter in asda recently they counted out just over £1200 at a charge of around £90, they must be mad.
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I have no idea why people use these, a little time out of your day and you save this money instantly by bagging the coins yourself.

The last time I went into my bank RBS with copper, I was first told to seperate all the coins (already seperated) into individual value bags, 50 pennies, 20 x 2p 50 x 5p, and so on, after going through all this, and the fact you need to be an existing customer with the bank. I was still charged a servicing fee. So for the convenience, that extra quid I would save via the old fashioned bag it n tag it, and pay for the service anyway, is neither here nor there, I think thats why most people use them. And for those whom dont have a bank account. (ever tried opening an account if you havent had one?). Its a far easier and convenient method, unless your going to use it at the till to pay for your groceries.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • If you give to charity, you could use the coins for your donations. I save mine up until I have a full jar, and then take them along to a local charity shop...
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Info on Coinstar machines:
    http://www.coinstar.co.uk/uk/WebDocs/A1-1
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • 7p in a pound i think
    :A I love MSE!!! :A
  • JimmyZ
    JimmyZ Posts: 57 Forumite
    no charge for under a pound though!

(found that out when i changed some coppers that turned out to be 99p !)
  • JimmyZ wrote:
    no charge for under a pound though!

(found that out when i changed some coppers that turned out to be 99p !)

cool, next time I go to Asda, I'll take 2p out of every bag of copper, and redeem them one by one:rotfl: !!! LOL
    Sig ah Sig Ahhh
  • I was in Woolworths a couple of months ago and they had little 'coin sorter' machines on offer.
    I was amazed how cheap they were - only about £20.

I just Googled for "coin sorter" and found them on the Amazon and Maplin Electronics websites, too.
    They're on Ebay too, but make sure these are suitable for UK coins..

So why not get your own machine, instead of paying those bandits at the supermarket? ;)
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    sheeny wrote:
    I was in Woolworths a couple of months ago and they had little 'coin sorter' machines on offer.
    I was amazed how cheap they were - only about £20.

I just Googled for "coin sorter" and found them on the Amazon and Maplin Electronics websites, too.
    They're on Ebay too, but make sure these are suitable for UK coins..

So why not get your own machine, instead of paying those bandits at the supermarket? ;)

I was going to make this suggestion earlier if the actual sorting and counting bit is "the problem" rather than taking them into a bank or similar.

I've seen these for as little as £5.99
    My local Woolworths has 2 sorts at the minute - I think both are half price at £14.99 and £19.99 (the latter being the "Deluxe plus")
    Having said that I know I've seen Woolworths selling one for £9.99 not long ago.

The one I looked sometime ago automatically stops if any of the "sorted columns" reached a "full" position

There appear to be 3 online at Woolies including the £14.99 one

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/ww_p2/search/search.jhtml?disableGlobalFredHopper=true&_requestid=81208
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • As far as I am aware the coin sorting machines can charge between 6% and 9%.

I have no idea why people use these, a little time out of your day and you save this money instantly by bagging the coins yourself.

I personally am an avid money saver. The money saving is always balanced against the time it takes me to save the money though and I can't just justify the time spent in counting a lot of coins when I can take them to one of these machines and pay 8% to have the money counted and dealt with probably 200 times faster than I could do it. It's just a waste of my time.
    --
    Peter Stones
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family