can anyone put my mind at rest?

Options
I am scared of knowing the answer to this question but here goes..

How likely is it that a court would make someone bankrupt at a creditors request despite payments being made to all creditors via a dmp with cccs?

After reading some horror stories on this forum about creditors making people bankrupt I am really scared about this happening and losing everything.
April 2013 - £25771.75. DFD October 2022!
April 2014 - £18146.35. DFD June 2020!

Comments

• iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    You might post on the bankruptcy sub-board for advice from others who are facing bankruptcy. AFAIK you cannot be made bankcrupt for debts of less than £750, and in reality creditors would be unlikely to make you bankrupt for such a small amount as it costs them money. How much do you owe?
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    It is unlikely that any of your creditors would petition for your bankruptcy (though not impossible).

how long is your DMP predicted to last?
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • owenmonicapeter
    Options
    Total debts are currently £21000

Dmp due to end 2022
    April 2013 - £25771.75. DFD October 2022!
    April 2014 - £18146.35. DFD June 2020!
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello Owen,

In my role as a debt counsellor I have spoken to over twenty thousand people over the years. I have come across a creditor making someone bankrupt three times. One was for unpaid income tax, one was for a significant amount of unpaid council tax and one was for a very large credit debt (far larger than the amount you owe). It is a very rare thing for happen although some creditors (well, debt collection agencies mainly) do use the threat of bankruptcy a great deal - usually as a scare tactic.

If you are living in rented accomodation it is even more unlikely.

Most creditors would use the traditional county court judgment route should they wish to bring legal action. Given that you are sticking to your DMP, it would be very unfair of a creditor to take further action against you.

Hope this is helpful,

David @natdebtline.
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure