where can I get cheap skirting board?

Currently doing up our living room and looks like we will be replacing some of our boards. popped into B&Q today just to look at pricing of skirting boards and was shocked at the price - one length was about a tenner! I'm not looking for anything fancy - just plain pine. Is there anywhere else people would recommend other than B&Q?

Comments

• PaulK_3
    PaulK_3 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Local timber merchant?
  • Jewsons & Travis Perkins are good. The timber is a better quality than DIY stores and much cheaper. You might wish to consider mdf skirting boards as they are primed already and have a smoother fsurface resulting in a better painted finish.
  • weegie_2
    weegie_2 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    thanks for the replies. did think about mdf but as we are sanding the floors as well and stripping back the door frames I'll probably just be varnishing/staining so wood is best.
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    PaulK wrote: »
    Local timber merchant?

We saved a fortune by using our timber merchant. Much better quality than the DIY stores too;)
  • roses
    roses Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I went to my local timber merchant today & they had plain pine skirting for £5.20/m inc delivery.

Does that sound about right?

They only had plain pine which needs treating. I was looking for something a bit darker in natural colour.
  • roses
    I found this which looks good:

http://www.vanillawoodfloors.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=255

Solid oak with cable hole pre cut at the back for hiding those cables!

Pretty cheap at £6/m & they have free samples :)
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    I agree with the Op about the timber merchants, as we looked at wickes, and thought thier pine was a bit iffy looking, looked substandard to me, so we got some some from the nearest timber merchant, and it was much better quality, and a bit less in price also, and they even cut some lengths into smaller lengths for the smaller arears like alcoves etc.

I find you get a better personal service from the timber people, and the quality is better.:D
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    wickes price is ok when you buy in packs. the quality is very indifferent sometimes. keep looking at all the packs.
    Get some gorm.
  • dld2s
    dld2s Posts: 441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Uniform Washer
    keep away from the sheds, I am fitting skirting and facing to my aunts house at the moment, not one piece/pack has been straight, they have been twisted, bent, cracked, miscut, i'll never buy finshing wood from them ever again after using this lot
  • roses
    Who are Sheds? Never heard of them!

Do you mean this company?

http://www.doorshed.co.uk/

I just did a google for oak skirting
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing