Cohabiting

Options

Comments

• Plush
    Plush Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    Jones254 wrote: »
    (the home is being fully renovated) my boyfriend will not assist with any of this even if something breaks he will leave it.

he is saying he thinks it's unfair that he has to pay me 250 a month as his calculation and how often he uses things do not equate to this amount and he says he should pay 150 instead and he does not think it is right that I make money from him.

PS. And this would make me leave him instantly. Petty soul..
    current credit debt Jan-2018 £12000 @ 0% // initial debt Sep-2017 £14200
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I still don't get why someone should live for free while someone else has to pay.

The problem here is that either one will benefit from the position of the other, so the question is who does. Her as she gets him to pay towards her investment, which she would have to pay on her own if it wasn't for him leaving with her, or him because he gets cheaper rent than what he would have to pay if he wasn't with her.

So it's not a matter of how you look at it financially but you look at it emotionally, and even then there is no right or wrong but the need of both to be on the same page. Clearly they are not as she is keen on keep getting rent from him whilst he is getting tired of paying towards an investment he knows he'll get nothing out of. The issue is time now, as having been together 4 years, leaving together 12 months, it is time to decide if the dynamics remain the same, which he doesn't seem happy with, or they move on to the next stage of commitment.

Either way, I very much doubt they will remain a couple for long if nothing evolves.
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    The problem here is that either one will benefit from the position of the other, so the question is who does.

I would've thought a fair way to look at it would be to make sure that they both benefit.

If you take half of the cost of all bills, excluding mortgage, and the rate for a room (inclusive of bills) and split the difference they both benefit.

e.g. If bills are £200 (£100 each) and to rent a room would be £400 then split the £300 difference between his share and what he'd pay elsewhere and they're both £150 a month better off.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    Indeed, well worth 200 quid for peace of mind in my book. ;).

Sure, but the point is my claim could have zero merit and yet you've had to spend money on it.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    In that scenario you'd hope they would split utilities and council tax. I certainly don't get why anyone would charge a love interest rent.

But that's exactly what we're discussing.

The money the OP would take in mortgage payments would be going directly into her pocket via an asset.
  • indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2017 at 12:26PM
    Options
    Izadora wrote: »
    I would've thought a fair way to look at it would be to make sure that they both benefit.

If you take half of the cost of all bills, excluding mortgage, and the rate for a room (inclusive of bills) and split the difference they both benefit.

e.g. If bills are £200 (£100 each) and to rent a room would be £400 then split the £300 difference between his share and what he'd pay elsewhere and they're both £150 a month better off.

Even sharing bills, she is better off - I know from having a lodger my bills went up a bit - e.g. gas up because we were using more hot water, electric up because we ran the washing machine more often, lost the single person discount on council tax. However, many bills unchanged - sky, phone line, tv licence, water (as I am not metered), broadband etc. Overall I reckon the bills went up by no more than 20% so on that basis sharing them with someone else would mean they cost 120% of what they did before, but I would only be paying 60% of what I used to pay. Food costs definitely go down per person if you cook together too - it's more efficient given typical package sizes, food wastage is more when you are on your own unless you are a brilliant planner (I am not).

My lodger ended up benefiting living with me versus renting a one bed flat on her own, but ultimately I was making a profit out of her - was a commercial arrangement. I wouldn't expect the same from a romantic partner. Maybe an understanding that they would use their savings from not paying rent to save up towards one day buying somewhere together... but even then if we split I doubt I would expect them to share that money.

If the OP really needs the money then maybe she should rent out the room the boyfriend has to himself to a lodger instead.
  • Izadora
    Options
    indiepanda wrote: »
    Even sharing bills, she is better off

Not as much better off as he is though.

It's also not a commercial arrangement as he's her boyfriend rather than a lodger, therefore splitting costs 50/50 seemed the fairer thing to do. Even if you took his starting point as the 20% cost-increase to bills then there'd still be quite a saving if he put in half the difference between that and the cost of renting somewhere else.
    indiepanda wrote: »
    Food costs definitely go down per person if you cook together too

Not always, my food budget would be about 1/3 of what it currently is if it was just me. Admittedly that's partly because my husband eats meat and I don't but it's also because if he goes shopping he'll pick the most expensive thing, thinking that means it'll be the best quality, whereas I will pick the best value for money.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You haven't taken account the biggest saving, the growth in equity from the ownership of the property.
  • Izadora
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    You haven't taken account the biggest saving, the growth in equity from the ownership of the property.

That's going to happen whether he's paying 50p or £500 a month to her though, I was talking purely about what they have available to them on a month-to-month basis.
  • leslieknope
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Presumably you aren't sleeping with the owner though....

he made it clear that he sees this as a lodger arrangement (with added benefits for him) and any lodger landlord would charge you for that extra storage space!
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family