PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord not responding to contact

Options
I'm in the process of preparing to hand a rental property back to the landlord, but she's ignoring my calls and then not calling me back when I leave a message.

In my letter giving notice (which I sent recorded delivery and have her signature as proof of delivery) I suggested we meet at the property so I can return the keys at the end of next week. She hasn't acknowledged this - although she did leave a voicemail to say she'd received the letter.

I need to arrange time off work to meet her at the property but can't do that until she confirms a suitable day/time.

There's already been a delay to the situation as she didn't provide a reference for nearly 3 weeks after she was asked. Possibly to get another month's rent out of me, but that's by the by... I moved out of her property on 5 April (would have been earlier if her reference had been quicker) so have already had to pay an entire month's rent for April, plus other bills etc.

I've been in the property for 12½ years - and had many issues. No heating for long periods over 3 winters, finally fixed with a replacement boiler. Rotten window frames, rising damp, black mould, no gas safety certificate in the past four years... but have always paid rent in full and on time and kept the place clean and tidy.

I'm also concerned about the deposit. As I moved in in 2004 my deposit isn't protected, and I have a feeling she isn't going to want to give it back.

I'd welcome any advice. Thank you. (Note I'm not online at my new home yet, so am only online before/after work).

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    * Deposits: payment, protection and return

* Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As long as you have served valid notice you don;t require any response from landlord.

You do not have to be there with landlord: If landlord decides not to be there, fine. Just take loads of photos, ideally with witness, return keys before end of tenancy, job done.

Why stay so long with terrible landlord?
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    After such a long tenancy it will be very difficult for the LL to claim for any deterioration after 12 years wear and tear. I would clean the house well and ask for the full deposit to be returned.

Has the contract been rolling on a month by month basis after the initial term? If it has been renewed since deposit protection become obligatory, I believe it should then have been protected.
  • soozer
    soozer Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    As long as you have served valid notice you don;t require any response from landlord.

You do not have to be there with landlord: If landlord decides not to be there, fine. Just take loads of photos, ideally with witness, return keys before end of tenancy, job done.

Why stay so long with terrible landlord?

I would say my landlord was more neglectful than terrible. She doesn't seem to care about the property, as long as she's getting the rent. It's taken us so long to get out because we were broke for a few years, and then planned an eventual move to another part of the country - which has never come to fruition, so now we've moved more locally, where we can keep our current jobs but live in a lovely, peaceful area. :)

Do we really not have to meet to inspect the property with her and hand back the keys? We're taking lots of photos/video of the house to try and get back the deposit.
  • soozer
    soozer Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    After such a long tenancy it will be very difficult for the LL to claim for any deterioration after 12 years wear and tear. I would clean the house well and ask for the full deposit to be returned.

Has the contract been rolling on a month by month basis after the initial term? If it has been renewed since deposit protection become obligatory, I believe it should then have been protected.

Thank you. :) We're hoping that a good clean will ensure we'll get the deposit back, but she's quite tight with money so I think it will be a bit of a battle.

The contract has been rolling since March 2005 - with various rent increases since then. We've not heard anything about our deposit since we moved in, so I assume it's still with the landlord. Should she have protected it?
  • elverson
    elverson Posts: 808 Forumite
    Options
    Your landlord must put your deposit in a government-backed tenancy deposit scheme (TDP) if you rent your home on an assured shorthold tenancy that started after 6 April 2007.

https://www.gov.uk/tenancy-deposit-protection/overview
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You may have to go to court to get her to pay up.
    The whole property sounds like it needs a full refurbishment.
    She may think the deposit is hers to keep but she is wrong and a " Letter before Action " may get your deposit back asap
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    soozer wrote: »

The contract has been rolling since March 2005 - with various rent increases since then.
    Although the rental has been ongoing do rent increases imply new contracts as far as deposit protection is concerned?
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    Although the rental has been ongoing do rent increases imply new contracts as far as deposit protection is concerned?

No. The point at which it goes rolling may be a new tenancy but increases (e.g. by Section 13 notice or just tenant paying a new amount) do not constitute a new contract.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure