Student Accounts 2012/13

Comments

• Hasty1991
    Hasty1991 Posts: 72
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can't decide which student account to go for. Am a mature student with a good credit history and I can't decide whether to go for an account advertised with an "up to" overdraft limit (the thinking being that I may get more as I'm not 18 with no credit history) or just stick with one with "x amount in year 1,2,3" (the concern being the "up to" is just a gimmick and they don't care about credit history with student accounts).

Hmmm.
  • Bridol
    Bridol Posts: 6
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    @Hasty1991

I am in the same boat. Have you decided what to do yet?

@everyone

Is this thread staying open or will there be a new one for Student Accounts 2013/14?
  • Hasty1991
    Hasty1991 Posts: 72
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Bridol wrote: »
    @Hasty1991

I am in the same boat. Have you decided what to do yet?

Not yet to be honest. I am thinking of just going for the Santander one. I bank with them already, the railcard would save me a lot and the overdraft is as good as any other without the subjective 'up to' limits. Have accounts with Natwest/HSBC but I presume they would credit score anyway?
  • Xen6
    Xen6 Posts: 205
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I already have a Santander student account, but they just withdrew the freebie I signed up with which was free gadget insurance. Is there a way to get the new freebie?
  • I would avoid Santander at all costs. Both my daughters took out student accounts when they offered free gadget insurance. Now they are withdrawing the benefit they have converted both their accounts to Graduate accounts without warning and, seemingly, just to remove the insurance benefit. Rectifying it means huge amounts of hassle - you have to go to the branch in person, they require letters from the universities and I have no confidence in them.
  • Xen6
    Forumite
    timz wrote: »
    I would avoid Santander at all costs. Both my daughters took out student accounts when they offered free gadget insurance. Now they are withdrawing the benefit they have converted both their accounts to Graduate accounts without warning and, seemingly, just to remove the insurance benefit. Rectifying it means huge amounts of hassle - you have to go to the branch in person, they require letters from the universities and I have no confidence in them.

Weird... I have received an email letting me know I'll be transferred onto the new Santander 4 year railcard promotion.
    Santander have been great for me. Plus that shouldn't put new customers off the new account. Great reward in my opinion.
  • Xen6 wrote: »
    Weird... I have received an email letting me know I'll be transferred onto the new Santander 4 year railcard promotion.
    Santander have been great for me. Plus that shouldn't put new customers off the new account. Great reward in my opinion.

Lucky! I signed up to santander before and asked in branch if I could be transferred to Santander's 4 year railcard promotion but they said no :(

I want to apply to natwest for a 2nd student bank account though. But when I do, they keep saying that general banking rules stop them from setting me up a student bank account unless I close off my Santander one.

Their T&Cs don't seem to stop it though...Any advice from here?
  • Xen6
    Forumite
    Kylina wrote: »
    Lucky! I signed up to santander before and asked in branch if I could be transferred to Santander's 4 year railcard promotion but they said no :(

I want to apply to natwest for a 2nd student bank account though. But when I do, they keep saying that general banking rules stop them from setting me up a student bank account unless I close off my Santander one.

Their T&Cs don't seem to stop it though...Any advice from here?

Have you been into a branch to set up Natwest account? I have both Santander and Natwest student accounts. I just told Natwest that I would be using there one as my main account when I set it up. They knew and accepted I had another student account, and like you said, their terms and conditions allow you to have a student account with another bank.
  • Xen6 wrote: »
    Have you been into a branch to set up Natwest account? I have both Santander and Natwest student accounts. I just told Natwest that I would be using there one as my main account when I set it up. They knew and accepted I had another student account, and like you said, their terms and conditions allow you to have a student account with another bank.

I did. Just came back from them actually. He said he spoke to the manager and said that he can set up an account only if I produce a letter saying that I would be closing down my santander one. I asked if he could point it out in the T&Cs and he just said general banking rule.
  • Xen6
    Forumite
    Kylina wrote: »
    I did. Just came back from them actually. He said he spoke to the manager and said that he can set up an account only if I produce a letter saying that I would be closing down my santander one. I asked if he could point it out in the T&Cs and he just said general banking rule.

Rules may well have changed. I applied and was accepted this time last year. If no luck, perhaps try a different location?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure