Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • philmac750
    • By philmac750 20th Apr 17, 9:49 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 4Thanks
    philmac750
    Firm using old machines - they don't take 10p or 5p coins
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:49 AM
    Firm using old machines - they don't take 10p or 5p coins 20th Apr 17 at 9:49 AM
    just wondering what the situation is where on private land, the company has installed machines, that do not take legal tender of 5p and 10p coins, even though their signs state they do. Every 10p coin just drops straight through. After a discussion with their meter chap last night, he states the machine is working correctly, I say I cannot buy a ticket with legal tender and the machine is faulty. I drove off and parked somewhere else, but last week I got an on screen PCN, same machine, same issue. It wouldn't take the coins, so I left a not on dash + the coins I had tried to use. From reading threads here, ignore the PCN (exel parking operate these machines I think) or appeal with their online "login" system ? Are they not legally required to upgrade these machines to take the 10p and 5p that have been in use for years ? and what about the new £1. There are several people (pensioners, dog walkers etc..) that have been caught by this situation. I even demonstrated the 10p's dropping out of the machine to the meter chap. he said he'd didn't know the legal aspects of his job, just that he had to check and put PCN's where people didn;t have a ticket. I said, I can't buy a ticket and round we went to the beginning again.
Page 2
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 21st Apr 17, 12:44 PM
    • 5,372 Posts
    • 6,028 Thanks
    lovinituk
    How does this help the OP with their PCN problem?
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    It doesn't. I didn't realise we were not allowed to discuss other aspects of peoples posts. Feel free to report my posts if I have broken any rules!
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 21st Apr 17, 12:56 PM
    • 14,024 Posts
    • 22,035 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    It doesn't. I didn't realise we were not allowed to discuss other aspects of peoples posts. Feel free to report my posts if I have broken any rules!
    Originally posted by lovinituk
    But you've repeated the same point in 5 separate posts. What are you hoping to achieve?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 21st Apr 17, 2:35 PM
    • 5,372 Posts
    • 6,028 Thanks
    lovinituk
    But you've repeated the same point in 5 separate posts. What are you hoping to achieve?
    And you've challenged me twice now - what are you hoping to achieve?

I feel sorry for people that are collared by the parking cowboys most of the time but I feel the OP only has themselves to blame for this incident. Last time I checked I'm entitled to my opinion.

Point me to the rules that state we can only post in this sub-forum to help and not have an opinion and I will happily butt out.
    Last edited by lovinituk; 21-04-2017 at 2:39 PM.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 21st Apr 17, 2:51 PM
    • 14,024 Posts
    • 22,035 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    I feel the OP only has themselves to blame for this incident.
    Well, you've made your point, so perhaps time to butt out so that those who come here every day to help thousands of motorists fight this scourge can get on with doing just that.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 21st Apr 17, 2:56 PM
    • 5,372 Posts
    • 6,028 Thanks
    lovinituk
    Well, you've made your point, so perhaps time to butt out so that those who come here every day to help thousands of motorists fight this scourge can get on with doing just that.
    So no rules against posting my opinion then? Consider my butt not out simply on your say so.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 21st Apr 17, 3:12 PM
    • 14,024 Posts
    • 22,035 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    So no rules against posting my opinion then? Consider my butt not out simply on your say so.
    Originally posted by lovinituk
    I never quoted any 'rules', so carry on fella. I'm sure we're all captivated by your input!

• lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 21st Apr 17, 3:15 PM
    • 5,372 Posts
    • 6,028 Thanks
    lovinituk
    I never quoted any 'rules', so carry on fella. I'm sure we're all captivated by your input!
    You do realise how hypocritical you are being don't you? Instead of following your own advice and helping the OP, which you have not yet done, you are choosing to engage with me in idle tit-for-tat. At least I've admitted I'm not trying to help and was just here to point out the OP was at fault in the first place. Fella!!
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 21st Apr 17, 3:24 PM
    • 6,846 Posts
    • 5,865 Thanks
    The Deep
    Is anyone else finding Lovinit's logic difficult to follow?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 21st Apr 17, 3:25 PM
    • 5,372 Posts
    • 6,028 Thanks
    lovinituk
    Is anyone else finding Lovinit's logic difficult to follow?
    Originally posted by The Deep
    I'm not - makes perfect sense to me

To be fair, I did say it was my opinion, not that it had to make any sense
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 21st Apr 17, 5:16 PM
    • 40,184 Posts
    • 80,268 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Bickering amongst ourselves does not help the OP.

Advice on how to appeal does, as does steering the OP away from an irrelvant point. This advice has already been given.

I can see both sides of the coin but fixating on something irrelevant does not help with what has already happened, but might help the OP in the future.

My opion is that the OP should not have parked but should have moved on, once they found they couldn't pay for parking, no matter what the reason. This is not what happened so advice not to do something that has in fact already happened is no help now.

Other opinions are avilable.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 22nd Apr 17, 12:35 AM
    • 48,897 Posts
    • 62,394 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    just wondering what the situation is where on private land, the company has installed machines, that do not take legal tender of 5p and 10p coins, even though their signs state they do. Every 10p coin just drops straight through.

After a discussion with their meter chap last night, he states the machine is working correctly, I say I cannot buy a ticket with legal tender and the machine is faulty.

I drove off and parked somewhere else, but last week I got an on screen PCN, same machine, same issue. It wouldn't take the coins, so I left a not on dash + the coins I had tried to use. From reading threads here, ignore the PCN (exel parking operate these machines I think) or appeal with their online "login" system ? Are they not legally required to upgrade these machines to take the 10p and 5p that have been in use for years ? and what about the new £1. There are several people (pensioners, dog walkers etc..) that have been caught by this situation.

I even demonstrated the 10p's dropping out of the machine to the meter chap. he said he'd didn't know the legal aspects of his job, just that he had to check and put PCN's where people didn;t have a ticket. I said, I can't buy a ticket and round we went to the beginning again
    Originally posted by philmac750
    You should have recorded/filmed that conversation. Engineer a similar conversation with him and record it on your phone. And film the coins dropping through, one by one, proving whatever coins you try it doesn't work.

While you are there, take pics of the signs as well.

You will need the above evidence for your court defence because Excel will proceed using BW Legal. We do always win v BW Legal so far but evidence is key.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• nigelbb
    • By nigelbb 22nd Apr 17, 3:41 AM
    • 1,924 Posts
    • 2,678 Thanks
    nigelbb
    The legal tender argument is a complete red herring.

Seems clear enough to me

http://edu.bankofengland.co.uk/knowledgebank/what-is-legal-tender/
    I seems clear enough to me too. To quote from that linked webpage

In addition, shops are not obliged to accept legal tender.
    Now what was your point?
    • Spank
    • By Spank 22nd Apr 17, 5:11 AM
    • 854 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    Spank
    Unlikley as there was a bloke there, but are you sure it dosent take the coins dt all or could it be they were full of 5 & 10 p's?
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 22nd Apr 17, 10:14 AM
    • 6,846 Posts
    • 5,865 Thanks
    The Deep
    shops are not obliged to accept legal tender.

This was not a shop.

Now what was your point?

My point is that if a machine states that it accepts certain coins as payment, then, if it does not, then users have cause to complain. Is this not in breach of the TDA?
    Last edited by The Deep; 22-04-2017 at 10:18 AM.
    • nigelbb
    • By nigelbb 22nd Apr 17, 10:45 AM
    • 1,924 Posts
    • 2,678 Thanks
    nigelbb
    shops are not obliged to accept legal tender.

This was not a shop.

Now what was your point?
    My point was that as confirmed by the Bank of England nobody is forced to accept legal tender in payment for goods or services. It's only for payment of debts that they are obliged to accept legal tender.
    My point is that if a machine states that it accepts certain coins as payment, then, if it does not, then users have cause to complain. Is this not in breach of the TDA?
    I am sure that users would have cause for complaint but what's the TDA? Here is a list of several dozen translations for this acronym none of which seem related to parking or consumer rights http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/TDA
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 22nd Apr 17, 11:07 AM
    • 14,024 Posts
    • 22,035 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Is this not in breach of the TDA?
    but what's the TDA?
    The Deep's Assertion of course.

• The Deep
    • By The Deep 22nd Apr 17, 11:16 AM
    • 6,846 Posts
    • 5,865 Thanks
    The Deep
    What is the TDA?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_Descriptions_Act_1968
    Last edited by The Deep; 22-04-2017 at 11:18 AM.
    • nigelbb
    • By nigelbb 22nd Apr 17, 1:02 PM
    • 1,924 Posts
    • 2,678 Thanks
    nigelbb
    I think that you mean the CPFUTR which replaced the TDA but in any case neither would apply in this case as the service is not being misrepresented https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Protection_from_Unfair_Trading_Regulation s_2008
    • philmac750
    • By philmac750 25th Apr 17, 3:23 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    philmac750
    Where did they get my name and address as the RK from ? 6 days after the original PCN on windscreen, got a letter ?
    Last edited by philmac750; 25-04-2017 at 3:27 PM.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 25th Apr 17, 3:35 PM
    • 16,754 Posts
    • 10,975 Thanks
    molerat
    Where did they get my name and address as the RK from ? 6 days after the original PCN on windscreen, got a letter ?
    Originally posted by philmac750
    DVLA of course.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,821Posts Today

6,601Users online

Martin's Twitter