Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 18th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    • 1,516Posts
    • 4,498Thanks
    Penitent
    What Is Irritating You III
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    What Is Irritating You III 18th Mar 17 at 5:18 PM
    Not sure if I'm going to get told off for this since I'm not sure why the last one migrated, but...

Post your irritations!
Page 25
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 20th Apr 17, 11:50 AM
    • 1,516 Posts
    • 4,498 Thanks
    Penitent
    Well, I manned up and called. And by manned up I mean I got myself so worked up I had to call to stop myself freaking out and then I started crying when someone spoke to me.

A message has been left with a different secretary to call me back, as the first one has gone on holiday. I think he has three secretaries.
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 20th Apr 17, 11:52 AM
    • 12,799 Posts
    • 48,783 Thanks
    joansgirl
    Indecision.

I requested a letter/report from my psychiatrist 7 months ago. I heard nothing, so after a month I called to check they had it. They did, his secretary was going to put it in his tray for him to look at the following week.

Couple of months later: I'd heard nothing, so I called again. It turns out there's a fee, I said that's fine, just let me know how he wants to be paid. She said someone would call me back to let me know. No call back.

Couple of months later: still no letter, still no call to tell me how he wants to be paid. Called again: the letter is being prepared by his other secretary, I'll get a call back about payment. No call back.

Called back a couple of days ago: secretary is away from desk, they've left her a message to call me back. Two hours go by. I try again, still away from her desk, another message left. Didn't call back that day or yesterday.

I'm honestly not sure if I need to call back again. I don't want to risk p'ing the secretary or the psychiatrist off because a) I'm relying on them for this report and b) my mental health issues make me really terrified of p'ing people off. I need the opinion of normal people. Should I call back today?
    Originally posted by Penitent
    Yes, call back. Looks like they've messed you about for long enough. I don't know how you haven't lost the plot with them already, I would have done
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 20th Apr 17, 5:02 PM
    • 1,516 Posts
    • 4,498 Thanks
    Penitent
    Well, I manned up and called. And by manned up I mean I got myself so worked up I had to call to stop myself freaking out and then I started crying when someone spoke to me.

A message has been left with a different secretary to call me back, as the first one has gone on holiday. I think he has three secretaries.
    It's been five hours now. It turns out a mentally ill person who's panicking about a massively delayed letter/lack of call-backs isn't considered worthy of a prompt response (or possibly any response). I'm not calling again. They clearly don't give a !!!!.
    • Cloth of Gold
    • By Cloth of Gold 20th Apr 17, 10:14 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 693 Thanks
    Cloth of Gold
    When I was at primary school a million years ago, we had some policemen come to the school periodically with mini Belisha beacons, a roll-up mini zebra crossing and people in pedal cars, showing us what would happen if we didn't cross the road properly.

Do schools still do that sort of thing, or is it all virtual these days?
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Wow! I wish we'd had that. It sounds much more exciting than Tufty, lovely as he was.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 20th Apr 17, 11:23 PM
    • 8,278 Posts
    • 27,727 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Am on a new healthy eating plan and have been getting 7/8 portions of veg a day for the last few days. Which us all good, except the sudden increase of fibre in my diet is making me feel like a compost heap full of explosives. My belly is whirring away like a faulty ceiling fan.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 21st Apr 17, 7:02 AM
    • 30,453 Posts
    • 112,080 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Wow! I wish we'd had that. It sounds much more exciting than Tufty, lovely as he was.
    Originally posted by Cloth of Gold
    It was very exciting! I've never forgotten it! (Which, I suppose means that it works!)
    We all wanted a go in the pedal cars, of course!

Sometimes the lowest-tech stuff is the most effective.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 21st Apr 17, 7:50 AM
    • 7,343 Posts
    • 13,496 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    People that take photos on their phones and don't back them up. I back mine up but take more important photos such as holidays on my camera.

Parents that go overboard for their childrens' first birthdays. Latest thing is the cake smash - where they go to a photographers and spend £600+ on the photographer taking photos of their child smashing a cake to bits and getting covered in cake and icing. What a waste of money and food! Can do the job for a 100th of that by getting a cake from the supermarket and taking the photos at home. Any 1st birthday, the child has no memories of it.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 21st Apr 17, 8:29 AM
    • 1,516 Posts
    • 4,498 Thanks
    Penitent
    Apologies for yesterday's tizzy. It's the anniversary of me losing my job/going back onto ESA today and I've been getting a bit wound up about everything. Finding out that it's going to be at least another 6 months (so upwards of 18 months in total) before the ESA folk assess me didn't help (you're meant to be assessed within 13 weeks).

So, today's irritation: why are the Government paying these private assessment companies so much money when they're blatantly not doing their jobs?
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 21st Apr 17, 8:33 AM
    • 12,799 Posts
    • 48,783 Thanks
    joansgirl
    It was very exciting! I've never forgotten it! (Which, I suppose means that it works!)
    We all wanted a go in the pedal cars, of course!

Sometimes the lowest-tech stuff is the most effective.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    The thing I found slightly disturbing in later years was the same bloke who was the Green Cross Code man played Darth Vader in the original Star Wars trilogy
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 21st Apr 17, 9:31 AM
    • 807 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    The thing I found slightly disturbing in later years was the same bloke who was the Green Cross Code man played Darth Vader in the original Star Wars trilogy
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    David Prowse, struggled to remember his name, but I did it without resorting to Google.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 21st Apr 17, 9:33 AM
    • 30,453 Posts
    • 112,080 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    David Prowse, struggled to remember his name, but I did it without resorting to Google.
    Originally posted by Sam Fallow
    They had to dub his voice in, though, because he had a West Country accent that didn't really go with a fierce death-star despot.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Mandelbrot
    • By Mandelbrot 21st Apr 17, 10:54 AM
    • 8,640 Posts
    • 18,719 Thanks
    Mandelbrot
    Didn't a lot of fierce, despotic pirate captains have West Country accents?

http://pirateattack.co.uk/history/west-country-pirates/

ETA: And yes, I know what Dave Prowse sounds like ...
    It wasn't his accent, though, that made him not cut-out for fierce, despotic lines.
    He just doesn't have that character trait.

And, of course, it would have cost too much to fly him across the Atlantic for the studio voice re-recording (necessary because of the mask interfering with the voice when filming).
    Last edited by Mandelbrot; 21-04-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 21st Apr 17, 10:56 AM
    • 30,453 Posts
    • 112,080 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Didn't a lot of fierce, despotic pirate captains have West Country accents?

http://pirateattack.co.uk/history/west-country-pirates/
    Originally posted by Mandelbrot
    Ooh arrrr! 'Ee be roit, 'ee be!

But perhaps the west-country, 18th century pirate sound wasn't quite right for Darth Vader?
    Perhaps deep breathing and 'ooh arrs' don't meld well?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Penitent
    • By Penitent 21st Apr 17, 11:12 AM
    • 1,516 Posts
    • 4,498 Thanks
    Penitent
    I like to think that somewhere in some corner of the glorious internet, someone has dubbed Vader's scenes with a West Country accent. I would google it, but I don't think I can cope with the disappointment of finding out it doesn't exist.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 21st Apr 17, 11:30 AM
    • 8,278 Posts
    • 27,727 Thanks
    fairy lights
    I like to think that somewhere in some corner of the glorious internet, someone has dubbed Vader's scenes with a West Country accent. I would google it, but I don't think I can cope with the disappointment of finding out it doesn't exist.
    Luke, Oi am yuurrrr faaarther
    • Mandelbrot
    • By Mandelbrot 21st Apr 17, 11:59 AM
    • 8,640 Posts
    • 18,719 Thanks
    Mandelbrot
    Luke, Oi am yuurrrr faaarther
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    There is something out there somewhere (not easy to find, IIRC) where Dave Prowse's voice (re-recorded as it would have been for the film) is restored to his Darth Vader body (as it were), but only for a couple of scenes.

In truth, it sounds not too different to the James Earl Jones voiceover.

(There are also spoof versions, of the "Oi am yuurrrr faaarther" sort, by others taking the mickey.)
    Last edited by Mandelbrot; 21-04-2017 at 12:05 PM.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 21st Apr 17, 12:02 PM
    • 8,396 Posts
    • 10,693 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Wonky pages!!!!!!!
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 21st Apr 17, 12:07 PM
    • 1,516 Posts
    • 4,498 Thanks
    Penitent
    I slept amazing well last night considering I was away from home in a house with the heating on and 21 cats

(Half a bottle of port)

It would be fair to say we have an almighty cat situation going on in the family . . . it's a loooooong story!
    Originally posted by OldMotherTucker
    I just realised I completely forgot to ask you why you ended up with 21 cats.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 21st Apr 17, 12:11 PM
    • 1,516 Posts
    • 4,498 Thanks
    Penitent
    Microwaving soup. It's an utter PITA.

Minute...stir...minute...stir...minute...stir...

Then the bowl's too hot at the end of it.
    • Missli
    • By Missli 21st Apr 17, 12:55 PM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 16,607 Thanks
    Missli
    I desperately want a cuppa but I can't use my kitchen! Got workmen in.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

788Posts Today

7,565Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Interesting, so far majority of voters in favour of calories on the menu, but vast majority of comments vehemently? https://t.co/hxBiLuhYLr

• RT @LeGrimpeur123: @MartinSLewis Yes, we got on the eastjet website just before 7am and booked two adult return tickets to Faro from Southe?

• Today's twitter poll: Should restaurants be forced to show calories on menus? Which of these is closest to your view...

• Follow Martin