Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gfplux
    • By gfplux 20th Apr 17, 5:24 PM
    • 2,510Posts
    • 2,481Thanks
    gfplux
    0 WOW
    Britons might need a visa to visit the USA
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:24 PM
    0 WOW
    Britons might need a visa to visit the USA 20th Apr 17 at 5:24 PM
    The Trump administration is considering making changes to the US visa-waiver system that could make it much harder for Europeans travelling to America.
    Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly said the existing rules, which do not require Britons to obtain a visa, should be reviewed amid heightened concerns about terrorism.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/us-visa-waiver-ends-european-travel-donald-trump-john-kelly-homeland-security-a7692861.html
    I voted to remain. Brexiteers spent much of the last 40 years campaigning for Britain to leave the EU. Forgive me if I feel entitled to continue to say it will prove a bad move for Britain.
Page 1
    • scumsthorne
    • By scumsthorne 20th Apr 17, 5:44 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    scumsthorne
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:44 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 5:44 PM
    Old news

See

http://documents.latimes.com/protecting-nation-foreign-terrorist-entry-united-states/

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593491

see also

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/news-room/20170227IPR64156/parliament-asks-eu-commission-to-press-for-full-us-eu-visa-reciprocity

as that could have a bearing too.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 20th Apr 17, 7:33 PM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 4,452 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:33 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:33 PM
    Thank goodness the US isn't the only country in the world.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • alanrowell
    • By alanrowell 20th Apr 17, 7:35 PM
    • 5,248 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    alanrowell
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:35 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:35 PM
    None of those links have anything to do with the suggestion of amending the VWP by the USA.

The Executive Order has nothing to do with the VWP
    The Visa Interview Waiver has nothing to do with the VWP
    The EU wants all EU countries to have access to the VWP not just some of them

This is the current head of the TSA wondering if the VWP should be altered, in extremis it could mean everyone having to get a visa to travel to the USA.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 20th Apr 17, 7:41 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 698 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:41 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:41 PM

The reports in January were about the Visa Waiver Interview Programme, which has nothing to do with the Visa Waiver programme (Esta). Todays report in the Independent is about the actual VWP (Esta) so not old news.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 20th Apr 17, 7:43 PM
    • 3,082 Posts
    • 5,246 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:43 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:43 PM
    Thank goodness the US isn't the only country in the world.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    This ^ there are lots of other countries and more than a few of them are far more welcoming than the US.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • scumsthorne
    • By scumsthorne 20th Apr 17, 7:56 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    scumsthorne
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:56 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:56 PM
    None of those links have anything to do with the suggestion of amending the VWP by the USA.

The Executive Order has nothing to do with the VWP.
    Originally posted by alanrowell
    Sec 9 does.

"Sec​. ​9​. ​Visa Validity Reciprocity ​. The Secretary of
    State shall review all nonimmigrant visa reciprocity
    agreements to ensure that they are, with respect to each visa
    classification, truly reciprocal insofar as practicable with
    respect to validity period and fees, as required by sections
    221(c) and 281 of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1201(c) and 1351, and
    other treatment. If a country does not treat United States
    nationals seeking nonimmigrant visas in a reciprocal manner,
    the Secretary of State shall adjust the visa validity period,
    fee schedule, or other treatment to match the treatment of
    United States nationals by the foreign country, to the extent
    practicable."

The Visa Interview Waiver has nothing to do with the VWP
    I agree

The EU wants all EU countries to have access to the VWP not just some of them
    And the US want reciprocal agreements regarding visa free travel.

This is the current head of the TSA wondering if the VWP should be altered, in extremis it could mean everyone having to get a visa to travel to the USA.
    And Trump stated this back in 2016!
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 21st Apr 17, 2:43 AM
    • 4,082 Posts
    • 3,056 Thanks
    stoneman
    • 21st Apr 17, 2:43 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 2:43 AM
    This ^ there are lots of other countries and more than a few of them are far more welcoming than the US.
    Originally posted by martinthebandit
    You are having a laugh right. Most countries hate us. The Spanish Costas for a start. They are so fed up of the typical British lager lout that we all get tarred with the same brush.
    On the other hand the Americans love our accents, music, and quirkiness. Fortunately the louts haven't made it out there to spoil it.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 21st Apr 17, 2:46 AM
    • 4,082 Posts
    • 3,056 Thanks
    stoneman
    • 21st Apr 17, 2:46 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 2:46 AM
    Trump will exempt Britain from any visa requirements. His mother was British and he has businesses in Scotland. He genuinely likes us. Unlike his snowflake predecessor
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 21st Apr 17, 7:37 AM
    • 17,908 Posts
    • 40,779 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I have a sneaky suspicion the UK will not be included, it's a tit-for-tat move because the EU voted to stop visa-free travel for Americans.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 21st Apr 17, 8:42 AM
    • 502 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    Ganga
    I have a sneaky suspicion the UK will not be included, it's a tit-for-tat move because the EU voted to stop visa-free travel for Americans.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    But we will not be part of the EU in the future.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 21st Apr 17, 8:48 AM
    • 58,008 Posts
    • 333,349 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    If you were travelling there though - you might feel "comforted" that those around you have had to apply for a visa and aren't a random nutter with evil intent.

It doesn't affect everybody/many people .... I'm sure the number of people who would be adversely affected by any visa would be tiny. It's not as if everybody goes there 1-2x a year every year and it'd be hard and make life difficult!
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 21st Apr 17, 9:03 AM
    • 6,001 Posts
    • 7,268 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Originally posted by Ganga
    Yes. I think that's why we may be excluded from the process.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 21st Apr 17, 10:35 AM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 4,452 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Well for me if I want to visit a country getting a visa is just part of the pita process of travelling.

However, what I find unwelcoming, is the grilling I've always got at customs when visiting the US...in fact I wonder every time why people bother.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 21st Apr 17, 10:38 AM
    • 11,363 Posts
    • 7,691 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Big deal... I had to get a visa when I first went there, and the visa remains valid for the rest of my life. Visas are needed for many (most?) of the really interesting places in the world. The trip to London and the visa interview is part of the holiday, and helps make sure that only motivated people get to visit and so keeps out the riff-raff.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 21st Apr 17, 11:04 AM
    • 17,908 Posts
    • 40,779 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Originally posted by Ganga
    Err, exactly!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 21st Apr 17, 11:46 AM
    • 2,056 Posts
    • 1,348 Thanks
    EssexExile
    However, what I find unwelcoming, is the grilling I've always got at customs when visiting the US...in fact I wonder every time why people bother.
    I've never been grilled by customs in the US. Or immigration. A few polite questions, a bit of idle chit-chat & we're on our way.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 21st Apr 17, 12:43 PM
    • 11,363 Posts
    • 7,691 Thanks
    Voyager2002

Indeed. The questioning I faced when I arrived there the first time was longer and more aggressive than almost anywhere else: ranks with being deported from Sudan as one of my most infuriating travel experiences. Part of the problem was that the immigration officer could not grasp that I was there for work but was being paid by a British employer (and yes, I did have a business visa...).

Cuba is so much easier in so many ways...
    • benjus
    • By benjus 21st Apr 17, 12:51 PM
    • 4,777 Posts
    • 2,841 Thanks
    benjus
    You are having a laugh right. Most countries hate us. The Spanish Costas for a start. They are so fed up of the typical British lager lout that we all get tarred with the same brush.
    On the other hand the Americans love our accents, music, and quirkiness. Fortunately the louts haven't made it out there to spoil it.
    Originally posted by stoneman
    While I've found Americans in general to be very welcoming and friendly, the process of actually getting into the US is about as unfriendly as it gets in a developed democratic country.

I've never felt unwelcome in Spain either... whether on the Costas or in the cities. Even in Argentina after several visits the only person I came across who expressed dislike of the British was one taxi driver.

So in summary there are loads of places where British people will feel welcome as long as they conduct themselves respectfully, and most of those don't make getting into the country such a pain.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 21st Apr 17, 1:11 PM
    • 6,001 Posts
    • 7,268 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    I've never been grilled by customs in the US. Or immigration. A few polite questions, a bit of idle chit-chat & we're on our way.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Idle chit chat? While I was in that huge queue? Tut!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

236Posts Today

1,971Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin