Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bingbon
    • By bingbon 31st Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 270Posts
    • 2,288Thanks
    bingbon
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries April 2017
    • 31st Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries April 2017 31st Mar 17 at 12:20 PM
    Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you to sstevo19 for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let’s make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for March and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly!

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again
    UU - Use Ups
    IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
    NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
    WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
    Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
    PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
    Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
    GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
    HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
    NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
    LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
    PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
    GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
    TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
    PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
    2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
    3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
    4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
    5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
    6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014

Previous threads

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review, here are links to past challenge threads. Click on the date to take you straight to it:

January 2012
    February 2012
    March 2012
    April 2012
    May 2012
    June 2012
    July 2012
    August 2012
    September 2012
    October 2012
    November 2012
    December 2012
    January 2013
    February 2013
    March 2013
    April 2013
    May 2013
    June 2013
    July 2013
    August 2013
    September 2013
    October 2013
    November 2013
    December 2013
    January 2014
    February 2014
    March 2014
    April 2014
    May 2014
    June 2014
    July 2014
    August 2014
    September 2014
    October 2014
    November 2014
    December 2014
    January 2015
    February 2015
    March 2015
    April 2015
    May 2015
    June 2015
    July 2015
    August 2015
    September 2015
    October 2015
    November 2015
    December 2015
    January 2016
    February 2016
    March 2016
    April 2016
    May 2016
    June 2016
    July 2016
    August 2016
    September 2016
    October 2016
    November 2016
    December 2016
    January 2017
    February 2017
    March 2017
    Last edited by bingbon; 31-03-2017 at 6:29 PM.
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2017. Jan stash: 490
Page 9
    • SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 20th Apr 17, 12:12 PM
    • 2,219 Posts
    • 10,258 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    Hurrah, the Smashbox shimmery gold shadow from my Full Exposure Pallette has been UU. In the end I was trying to scoop it out with an eyeliner brush which became manotinous (sp?) so I crushed the little bits clinging to the sides of the pan with said brush and then crushed it onto my regular eyeshadow brush to use. Do love this colour.

Posted on March thread in error. Doh.
    Originally posted by VALM

I've been doing the same re crushing the little bits round the edges, should have an eye shadow UU tomorrow.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 20th Apr 17, 3:09 PM
    • 4,561 Posts
    • 44,910 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Latest NBI, my luck ran out with this one, really not impressed.
    I'm not sure how you get this to look natural and stay on. Glad I didn't buy it.

Rimmel Brow Shake Filling Powder, Dark Brown.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • WJN222
    • By WJN222 20th Apr 17, 4:01 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 1,528 Thanks
    WJN222
    Finally a UU to report!
    UU: Decleor body oil - WDBA, loved this, smelt so lovely, did the job and although expensive lasted really really well.
    walk 2017 miles in 2017 - 415 of 2017
    SW journey - loose 28lbs - 14lb of 28
    Clear the stash July OUT : IN = 17:2
    • VALM
    • By VALM 20th Apr 17, 4:39 PM
    • 3,827 Posts
    • 35,384 Thanks
    VALM
    I've been doing the same re crushing the little bits round the edges, should have an eye shadow UU tomorrow.
    Originally posted by SuiDreams
    Yay. Don't mind crushing but don't think I could be bothered re-presssing like I see YouTubers do. Which one will you have UU?
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • VALM
    • By VALM 20th Apr 17, 4:40 PM
    • 3,827 Posts
    • 35,384 Thanks
    VALM
    Another UU: Nivea Pure deodorant. Replaced with Sanex one.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • savingfortomorrow
    • By savingfortomorrow 20th Apr 17, 10:11 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 3,473 Thanks
    savingfortomorrow
    thanks for the kind words about the missing make up bag. I felt like an idiot ringing places as most people dont view make up like we do here. I keep a lot of memories with the items. I travel so much and see so many different ranges some of it will not be easily replaced.

I know there was some lancome, estee lauder and mac concealer, blushers and a new bottle of serum from caudalie that cost a fortune. The wetnwild stuff is harder to replace and some elf brands. It is the feeling of not seeing the reminders of places and people i associate with the times i purchased items that grieves me sore.

So i replaced a concealer and eyeliner. I hope it does turn up but i have learned a massive lesson and going to down size on cosmetics and stuff in general as it only seems to hurt my shoulder.
    • asajj
    • By asajj 20th Apr 17, 10:23 PM
    • 4,134 Posts
    • 10,335 Thanks
    asajj
    Savingfortomorrow that's not a nice surprise!

I went to Boots today and buy my HG Clarins toner for combination skin and make-up fixing spray. Current bottles will be UU soon. Got £10 worth of points too.

Also in TK Max, they had a stock delivery recently and had lots of high end make up. I treated myself an Illamasqua powder blush.. Color name is Thrust. For £7, it was too good to miss I don't have any blush similar to this colour either. Also found&purchased No Concealer Concealer from Perricone MD.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • asajj
    • By asajj 20th Apr 17, 10:32 PM
    • 4,134 Posts
    • 10,335 Thanks
    asajj
    If anyone is interested in , Elemis is looking for product testers by the way.

http://www.elemis.com/elemis-review-panel/

You sign up and if selected, will be contacted
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • VALM
    • By VALM 21st Apr 17, 5:52 AM
    • 3,827 Posts
    • 35,384 Thanks
    VALM

Originally posted by asajj
    Have just signed up to this.

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • sunny_money
    • By sunny_money 21st Apr 17, 7:36 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    sunny_money
    Thanks asajj I've signed up
    • Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 21st Apr 17, 8:07 AM
    • 463 Posts
    • 2,294 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    Hi ladies,

Thanks so much for the link to the Elemis panel thingy, just signed up! I love that brand! Fingers crossed some of us ladies get on, when asked about skin concerns or results wanted I was like 'can I just put EVERYTHING' I think I have high expectations!

Speaking of skin is starting to settle down again. Thank god. Still have a few angry ones to go down completely. Still feeling stressed at work. Need time off very badly but can't take any until June due to staffing shortages.

I have a UU:
    Lush soak and float shampoo - WMBA although not sure if it made my scalp itch a bit. Hair feels good for it though. Replacing with another lush bar for now and then plan to buy shampoo that matches new conditioner at some point as conditioner is amazing.

I'm so sad for the makeup bag loss. Any loss of stuff can really unsettle you. Happened to my friend and she was so annoyed she had to buy all new (her stash was smaller than say us, I think she lost it all!!).

Payday yesterday so plan to have a few ins at weekend. Stash is under control so any ins likely to be needed replacements or the only other back up in stash. I have one shower gel and want another one'!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 21st Apr 17, 9:59 AM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 30,809 Thanks
    dolly84
    I have a uu

Laura Mercier Almond Coconut Milk Honey Bath - this smells gorgeous although I do find to get lasting bubbles I need to use a fair bit which makes it pricey. WMBA if I can get it half price.

Also some ins

Avon Scent Essence Wild Bergamot 30ml x 2 - this smells of bergamot then dries down to a tea scent, for £2.50 it is a bargain.

Avon Angled Brush
    - only £2 and I already have one for doing my brows which I find very good.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • pirateyqueen
    • By pirateyqueen 21st Apr 17, 10:00 AM
    • 458 Posts
    • 3,148 Thanks
    pirateyqueen
    1 UU, Carmex, WBA
    No more goo hoarding!

2017 UU: 44 IN: 13 TA: 1 Total: 46/78 2016 UU: 53 IN: 17 TA: 0 Total: 36/72
    2015 UU: 74 IN: 43 TA: 3 Total: 32/64
    2014 UU: 114 IN: 67 TA: 7 Total: 38/92
    • SophieLoui23
    • By SophieLoui23 21st Apr 17, 12:39 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 512 Thanks
    SophieLoui23
    I haven't been keeping up with the counting but I'm my stash is reducing slowly. Haven't had a lot of purchases recently and even then, only necessities such as shampoo and eye make up remover.

Have been trying to use up a mascara but realised life is too short for rubbish make up, so bought a new one yesterday and my goodness, the difference it makes to my lashes is incredible!

I also need some advice. My skin is looking fairly clogged and dehydrated at the mo. I think it's a combo of a lot of work, some stress, job interviews and not eating as healthily as I usually do. I also need to make a conscious effort to drink more water. My friend recommended the black peel off masks and I'd like to try them, I'm just slightly concerned that I have sensitive skin and that it appears to rip out the fine hair along with the blackheads! Has anyone used these / would you recommend?

Also having a bit of an issue with clogged skin on my back (TMI, sorry!) due to lack of sun and use of fake tan for an event. I try to use silicone free conditioner and Simple body wash as I'm prone to clogging, but wondered if anyone could recommend a treatment or product that might help a bit? TIA
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 21st Apr 17, 2:23 PM
    • 4,561 Posts
    • 44,910 Thanks
    mcculloch29

Originally posted by asajj
    Thank you so much. I know I get a lot of premium brands via Am@zon and am very lucky, but I have never tried Elemis.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 21st Apr 17, 2:37 PM
    • 2,219 Posts
    • 10,258 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    Yay. Don't mind crushing but don't think I could be bothered re-presssing like I see YouTubers do. Which one will you have UU?
    Originally posted by VALM

Now completely UU had to UU every last crumb it was 50/50 from UD Naked on the Run palette this one has been almost gone for ages. That's 4 shadows UU this year now.

Also thrown out an OPI mini in A Rose by Dawn...broke by noon. Loved it but it stopped applying properly so in the bin it went. May try and repurchase in full size once I've reduced my collection.

Also finished a foundation at the weekend, stash is going down
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 21st Apr 17, 4:13 PM
    • 4,561 Posts
    • 44,910 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    UU Aldi Lacura Argan Oil Shower Gel. This isn't in their normal off the shelf range but was a Specialbuy.
    WIBA? Yes, visually it's a lovely clear amber gel that gives a really rich, moisturising lather. Doesn't have scent so is good to use before going out if you don't want anything to clash with your perfume or body lotion.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 21st Apr 17, 6:05 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,997 Thanks
    sstevo19
    No UUs or INs for me lately. I am nearing finished the mouthwash on my PP list and one hand cream which I'm using on my feet because of the mineral oil because it's the only part of my body that I don't react it on.

So I should have some UUs soon hopefully. Might use a skincare sample tonight to get through them.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 21st Apr 17, 7:54 PM
    • 4,561 Posts
    • 44,910 Thanks
    mcculloch29

Also having a bit of an issue with clogged skin on my back (TMI, sorry!) due to lack of sun and use of fake tan for an event. I try to use silicone free conditioner and Simple body wash as I'm prone to clogging, but wondered if anyone could recommend a treatment or product that might help a bit? TIA
    Originally posted by SophieLoui23
    I'm not so sure on products but I would recommend trying a natural bristle body brush regularly - the long handled ones sold as bath brushes are best for the back as you can reach more easily.
    Don't use it wet, try it as a dry body brush as this is good for circulation.

Be careful when buying the brush if you don't have one because some are a lot scratchier than others and will even mark the skin. Price is no guarantee - the worst brush I had was a Sanctuary one (binned) and one I still use came from a pound shop.

General body brushing is great for getting the circulation going, improving skin texture and overall skin health.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 21st Apr 17, 8:00 PM
    • 4,561 Posts
    • 44,910 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I just posted this on one of the moneysaving tips threads. I thought I'd post it here too - I've mentioned it before but no harm in mentioning it again.

I have a hourglass shaped shower timer to cut down on the time spent showering, to save electricity and water.
    However, I found it was impossible to shampoo and condition my hair and scrub myself clean in the 4 minutes the timer allowed.

So now I wash and condition my hair in the bathroom sink and rinse off the conditioner in the shower as I scrub down. I scrub down with a body puff of course, by far the most economical way of using shower gel or cream.

Doing it this way also allows the conditioner a little extra time to take effect as I empty and clean the sink, before climbing in to the shower.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

824Posts Today

7,666Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Interesting, so far majority of voters in favour of calories on the menu, but vast majority of comments vehemently? https://t.co/hxBiLuhYLr

• RT @LeGrimpeur123: @MartinSLewis Yes, we got on the eastjet website just before 7am and booked two adult return tickets to Faro from Southe?

• Today's twitter poll: Should restaurants be forced to show calories on menus? Which of these is closest to your view...

• Follow Martin