Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Feb 15, 6:31 PM
    • 12,907Posts
    • 46,471Thanks
    savingwannabe
    The Happy Savings Fund
    • 18th Feb 15, 6:31 PM
    The Happy Savings Fund 18th Feb 15 at 6:31 PM
    I am going to copy over all my posts about my new kitchen or lack of it!!!!

I am changing my thread name back to a more saving focussed one so I don't get distracted.

Addendum: I have changed the name again as I am planning to chill out now I have savings and am going to continue to save for happy times. lol.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 03-12-2016 at 8:16 PM. Reason: to re-focus my savings
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
Page 54
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 16th Apr 17, 7:47 AM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 18,290 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Aw SW I am sure they will forgive you ! You obviously needed the sleep. £5 is a bargain for a teasmaid well done Susan

I have told everyone not to buy me an easter egg as I can't regulate my sugars and after my visit to diabetic nurse last week I have been given more pills to take I don't really want to take more pills and would rather stick with just my original pills and try to sort out my diet onto low carb. They couldn't give me an appointment to see the Doc and told me to ring next week at 8am on Tuesday to get an appointment, so I will see what happens after the bank holiday.

The sun is shining here already and it looks like being a nice day. Have a lovely day x
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th Apr 17, 9:30 AM
    • 12,907 Posts
    • 46,471 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done you. I have been diabetic for 43 years it was great when I was younger but it has been rubbish for about 10 years since my new job started. I am going to work on it now. A healthy diet really helps stress makes it worse so avoid it.

Am cooking sausages for breakfast. It looks gorgeous out there but I think it is a bit chilly. I don't really have anything to do. I will cook later but now I am going to read some books. I might practice my French later too as I have had a cd for years but never listen to it.
    • bobobski
    • By bobobski 16th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,505 Thanks
    bobobski
    Oh SW, your Easter egg situation is both worrying and funny! Lucky the hypo happened at a time you had lots of chocolate around but please be careful in future!

Sounds like we're having similar Easter Sundays (albeit yours is more intellectual) which is good as it sounds like you need a restful day. I hope you enjoy it
    #18: Save 12k in 2017: £10,032.12 / £12,000 (83.6%) | #86: Save £12k in 2016: £8,476.09 / £10,000 (84.76%)
    House deposit by 31/12/2020: £20,221.41 / £60,000 (33.7%) | Emergency fund by 31/12/2020: £1,553.13 / £5,000 (31.0%)
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 16th Apr 17, 8:12 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    You silly bean SW! Hope you're feeling better now, I've had a day with a book too, lovely way to have a relaxing day off!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Make £3 a Day in September 2017 - £29.31/£90 (2017 total - £164.27) | Womble #03 - £4.32 | Overpayments in 2017 - £926.72
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th Apr 17, 8:19 PM
    • 12,907 Posts
    • 46,471 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Yep that's me. lol.

Happy Easter Vintage Historian. Hope you are settling in well.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 17th Apr 17, 4:42 PM
    • 12,907 Posts
    • 46,471 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I think the lobelia are coming up. We might have a frost tonight so I have to cover them.

I cleaned the skirting boards. Nothing else to do. I might do a shop tomorrow and I think I am seeing my friend. I have had the laziest day ever.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 17th Apr 17, 7:14 PM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 18,290 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Hope you enjoyed a rest today SW, you deserve it !

There is a frost forecast tonight down to 0 in the south and but lovely day tomorrow. On the countryfile forecast yesterday they forecast a -7 frost this week I think its Tuesday or Wednesday night
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 17th Apr 17, 8:02 PM
    • 12,907 Posts
    • 46,471 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Bless you i am totally chilled. I have just been out with bin bags covering my darling lavender and lobelia. What a saddo! Steve and Andy made me. lol. Percy Thrower didn't ever do this I am sure he made it look easy on Blue Peter.

I thought I was going out with Craftyhants today but she is having her hair done so Ive moved it to Thursday. I am having a chill day here but might buy some food later. Weather is bright and cheery. Am reading.

Just found out that the plastering is going to start on Saturday. All being well it should only take one day.

Today I haven't much to do. I might buy some bananas. Tomorrow I visit my best friend and then go to the shop to buy laminate for the hallway in the afternoon.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 18-04-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Apr 17, 11:30 AM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 18,290 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Hope your plants survived the night SW ! Your Percy Thrower comment ... made me laugh
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Apr 17, 11:51 AM
    • 12,907 Posts
    • 46,471 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    OMG. General election on 8 June. OMG.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Apr 17, 12:02 PM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 18,290 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Blimey that's a bit unexpected... wonder what will happen now !?

Seems to have had a positive effect on the £ has jumped to a 2 1/2 month high, will tell DS to keep an eye on exchange rates for buying his holiday money
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Apr 17, 1:09 PM
    • 12,907 Posts
    • 46,471 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Politicians are crackers. Still it gives us something to wonder about. I cant imagine the Conservatives losing but it all depends on Corbyn leaving. Fascinating times.

I am a working person, I rely on the NHS hence I will vote Labour always.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 18-04-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Apr 17, 6:56 PM
    • 12,907 Posts
    • 46,471 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    On Wednesday morning I am doing a supermarket shop then hopefully going with builder to buy some flooring. Then I visit my dear friend in the afternoon.

I spent most of today fast asleep. I heard some bad news a former work friend has passed away. A really nice lady.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Apr 17, 7:09 AM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 18,290 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I am really sorry to hear about your former work friend SW, sad news.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Apr 17, 5:59 PM
    • 12,907 Posts
    • 46,471 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Dreadful news as she was so nice.

Makes you think maybe we shouldn't save and should spend the lot now.

I have just come from visiting another friend and I did a supermarket shop this morning. I spent £48 cc on groceries, flowers and £20 of that was for chocolates for the colleagues at work who have covered me while I was off sick. Then I spent £14 on taxis.

I haven't been to church for ages and got the feeling my soul is in danger from my visit today but I don't think that's true.

I'm staying at home apart from tomorrow maybe, but throat kills after today. Building company rang. Plasterer is double booked he can do Monday though when I will be at work but my builder will be here to supervise and make sure no spillages occur.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 19-04-2017 at 9:35 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Apr 17, 10:19 PM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 18,290 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    We are saving some money and spending some on our houses to make our lives better. It all about balance I suppose not being miserable and saving every penny as we never know what is round the corner. Its good that you can trust your builder to supervise the plasterer.

I think you are a kind soul SW, always willing to help others so in my opinion you are safe
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 20th Apr 17, 5:22 PM
    • 12,907 Posts
    • 46,471 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    My friend is really religious and always makes me feel bad for not going to church. It is soooo judgmental. She even criticises some of the pastors on the God channel for not being proper Christians.I don't think God is that judgemental. It's been driving me nuts.

Anyway I met with & spoke to CraftyHants about this and she is in agreement with me and I don't think I am popcorn if I don't go to church. We met and I spent £15 on food, £6.50 on bus fare, £5 on chocolate. Total spend £26.50.Weather was glorious and food was great but that's it till summer hols now.

Early this morning Steve found a gorgeous table and chair set (which I don't need but want in the New Forest at a bargain price of £60) including delivery to their address. They have arranged to collect it on my behalf and have been given the money from my Christmas Fund. A bargain price. I will sell my old garden table and chairs though to recoup some cash.

I have £5 cash till end of the month and a few tenners in my bank account. Baked beans for the next few days.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 20th Apr 17, 7:21 PM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 18,290 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Its a shame that your friend made you feel bad SW. You are one of the kindest people I know. Religion is always a tricky subject. I personally don't think anyone should try to force their religious beliefs on someone, we should all be able to live and worship (or not) in our own way and according to our own beliefs, its not a competition.

I am glad you had a nice day with CraftyHants and treated yourself. Think about sitting out in the garden with your new table and chairs when you are eating those beans and it will be worth it I think next month will be a whole month of beans for me the way my credit card bill is going
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 20th Apr 17, 8:19 PM
    • 12,907 Posts
    • 46,471 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Yep we will be in the same situation. Still the weather's going to get nicer and we can just chill in our garden's for free. I'll need to if I am living on beans lol.

Tomorrow I think I am shopping for flooring. I can only buy one lot of Feed and Weed but I might not even have any money for that? Then I am tidying all day as tidying is free

There was a new television programme on yesterday about paying mortgages on properties. It was a bit of a let down to be honest I would rather have seen how people saved the money instead of the types of accommodation they acquired as I have no interest whatsoever in buying a narrow boat etc.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 20-04-2017 at 9:19 PM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 21st Apr 17, 9:35 AM
    • 12,907 Posts
    • 46,471 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    We are no longer shopping for flooring, maybe tomorrow as handyman can't make it. Instead I will be having a leisurely clean of the house.

Weather is clear but not sunny. I might mow grass too.

In between watching lots of telly.

OMG I love MSE, just when you think you are broke. I just logged into my new bank account and had great surprise. They have given me my bonus!!!!! Hurrah! I have put £100 into overpayment of mortgage and kept £25 for happiness fund as this has been sadly depleted this month.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 21-04-2017 at 6:11 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

824Posts Today

7,666Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Interesting, so far majority of voters in favour of calories on the menu, but vast majority of comments vehemently? https://t.co/hxBiLuhYLr

• RT @LeGrimpeur123: @MartinSLewis Yes, we got on the eastjet website just before 7am and booked two adult return tickets to Faro from Southe?

• Today's twitter poll: Should restaurants be forced to show calories on menus? Which of these is closest to your view...

• Follow Martin