Bus Passes

Why is this thread closed?

I was talking to a friend today who had heard that the bus pass was going to be withdrawn in 2013. I was sceptical but checked my pass and yes it expires in 2013. I contacted a number of friends and theirs also expires in 2013 which made me think.
Normally something as large as the number of buss passes would be staggered so then it would not be one colossal effort to renew all the bus passes at once.
If however it was going to be changed or removed, the fact that it happens to everyone on the same day would be very convenient. No anomalies, pass toady and gone tomorrow.
Am I just a poor worried person who is being hit left right and centre by price hikes whilst having less money each month?

Comments

• alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 March 2012 at 5:23PM
    The scheme in England is administered by local authorities. Passes will expire 3 years after the scheme was launched.

Prior to the England-wide scheme some local authorities had to re-issue all of their passes every year in one go so I am sure that they are quite capable of doing this task. After all they have no problems issuing Council Tax bills all at the same time!

While nothing is guaranteed I don't see an expiry date on a pass as being evidence of an end of the scheme. In my opinion it would be political folly to withdraw the passes in England (from women's state pension age) while the rest of the UK has them (from age 60).
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I have just checked mine. New one issued because the "scanner" thing did not work

Male, Hampshire, pass expires 30 March 2016

Forget the conspiracy theory, as alanq says, political folly, especially if the 50p tax rate is cut
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    My pass expires in 2014. Perhaps it's related to when it's issued?
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• Skymist
    Skymist Posts: 406 Forumite
    lilac_lady wrote: »
    My pass expires in 2014.

Mine too, and by then I will have had it for five years. Maybe that is the length of time that they are issued for.

S
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If they did away with the passes there would be an awful lot of empty buses driving around during the daytime. That could lead to bus companies going out of business so then there may not be any buses running at peak times to get people to work.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Schmintpeep
    Schmintpeep Posts: 29 Forumite
    Hopefully the scheme will be kept running.
  • jojo1964
    jojo1964 Posts: 902 Forumite
    One of the reasons for speculation of the scheme being withdrawn is the amount of journeys being made by pass holders has increased massively, and one of the causes of that is the amount of "short" journeys being made, on my route i can leave the terminus ( in one town) with half a bus load, but by the time i leave that town i will be almost empty because the pass holders are traveling one or two stops, distances of a few hundred metres.
    Thankyou Sir Alex for 26 years
  • One of the reasons for speculation of the scheme being withdrawn is the amount of journeys being made by pass holders has increased massively, and one of the causes of that is the amount of "short" journeys being made, on my route i can leave the terminus ( in one town) with half a bus load, but by the time i leave that town i will be almost empty because the pass holders are traveling one or two stops, distances of a few hundred metres.

I see this happen around my area. some people clearly can't walk very far so it's a godsend to them. However some just hop on and off seemingly just for fun, plainly they are to tired to for their own good. You do really need to use it wisely if you can walk a few miles do so it's much better for you. Me I walk just over 3 miles to the shop and as my bags are full on the way back I then catch the bus. I walk and cycle as much as I can. In fact me and my Brompton folding cycle and my bus pass have had some really good days out,
  • millie
    millie Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have had my pass for just over 5 years when the new cars were issued and it runs out in March 2013 so it will bw 6 years. My sisters which she had 22 momths after me runs out this month so it just seems to be a bit random. My husband had his the same time as me and his is in August 2012.
  • renegade
    renegade Posts: 1,282 Forumite
    I have read somewhere , that in 2013 they will not be issuing any new passes to people who have not had them prior to this, so no passes for people who turn 60 yr in that year.
    My pass expires in 2015.
    You live..You learn.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family