Does DWP have authority to look at bank statements without permission?

Options

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    There are very good reasons for needing to see unedited / unfiltered bank statements and none of the reasons are in order to know where you go for a drink, buy your food etc.
    When I worked on benefit processing we saw many instances where only one bank account had been declared, yet we saw movement of funds to and from other accounts. Had the claimant been able to filter information we would not have know of those accounts and the claimant would happily have continued with a fraudulent claim.
    The rules really are very simple - either comply with lawful requests for information or don't claim benefits.
  • Carrieanne
    Options
    We are the most watched and spied upon people in the world. China, whose population is 20 times greater than the UK, has nowhere near the number of CCTV cameras monitoring their citizens - and their government, we are told, is authoritarian and rather sinister.

With 195 countries worldwide, is it a coincidence that this one is streets ahead of the rest?

In addition to the snooping that's common knowledge, thanks to Edward Snowden we learned of Tempora.

Those who dutifully trot out the line that with "nothing to hide there's nothing to fear" lack critical thinking skills. From personal experience most are far more concerned with what's happening in puerile soap operas than why the massive UK surveillance matrix has been constructed.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    tomtom256 wrote: »
    Wrong, don't need authorisation for bank statements where fraud is involved. We can get them under the Social Security Fraud Act.

TELLIT01 is right.

By the very fact it's a fraud investigation, that is the authority.

Contained in s29 of the Data Protection Act [to detect and prevent fraud] and subsequent legislation including the statute you mention.

Indeed just re-read what you have said: "we don't need" and "we can get them under..." Both can't be true. Legislation is always the authority, otherwise the rule of law wouldn't exist.

Otherwise any and every statement could be obtained without any reason.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    edited 13 December 2017 at 3:09PM
    Options
    Carrieanne wrote: »
    We are the most watched and spied upon people in the world. China, whose population is 20 times greater than the UK, has nowhere near the number of CCTV cameras monitoring their citizens - and their government, we are told, is authoritarian and rather sinister.

With 195 countries worldwide, is it a coincidence that this one is streets ahead of the rest?

Except of course that in China (or N Korea etc) you can be jailed for years or killed by the State for no reason at all and there's no freedom of religion, press, political belief or the rule of law.

Indeed you very post proves the freedom we have to openly criticise our Govt - a freedom you would not have in China.

I value freedom very deeply, which is why I find it bizarre that some cite China as a better example than the West.

As for CCTV, it's proven invaluable in the fight against crime and terrorism. It really is not used in most civil or even criminal matters. Indeed police only bother in RTAs now if it's a fatal, as it's so labour intensive to check it all.

Here isn't the place for it, but I can provide you with many examples of abuses (mainly by Labour councils) of our freedoms, from everything to bins and litter fines to the removal of children and so on. That's authoritarianism by public servants. But thankfully even that is nowhere near as bad as anything you would suffer in China or 20 other such States.

The only recent example of a severe abuse of the freedom of UK Nationals, was due to the European Arrest Warrant being used against those poor parents who took their child abroad for treatment - certainly not what it was intended for, but again not of this Country's doing.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • Carrieanne
    Options
    I note that you didn't dispute that there are indeed 195 countries worldwide and that this country is way ahead of any other both in absolute terms and pro rata with regard to CCTV. Perhaps you think it's merely coincidence, or that this state cares more about the welfare of its citizens than all others. I'm not sure, but whichever it is I believe you're suffering from complacency... which is why you chose not to paste the word Tempora.

I'll tell you why we're living on the set of Big Brother whenever we venture outdoors. It's in readiness for the next financial crisis. It'll make the 2008 minor blip and everything prior, including the 1930s depression, seem like fun in comparison.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I note that you didn't dispute that there are indeed 195 countries worldwide and that this country is way ahead of any other both in absolute terms and pro rata with regard to CCTV. Perhaps you think it's merely coincidence, or that this state cares more about the welfare of its citizens than all others. I'm not sure, but whichever it is I believe you're suffering from complacency... which is why you chose not to paste the word Tempora.

I'll tell you why we're living on the set of Big Brother whenever we venture outdoors. It's in readiness for the next financial crisis. It'll make the 2008 minor blip and everything prior, including the 1930s depression, seem like fun in comparison.

I don't see your point?
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options

Can I sell you some tin foil for your hat?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    In what was is the number of CCTV cameras relevant to a question about supplying bank statements to support a claim for benefits?
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As far as I know if its a fraud investigation no permission needed.

On an application permission is needed, but if refused it obviously doesnt look good on the applicant and may make the application been turned down on the grounds of insufficient proof of income/savings.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mersey wrote: »
    TELLIT01 is right.

By the very fact it's a fraud investigation, that is the authority.

Contained in s29 of the Data Protection Act [to detect and prevent fraud] and subsequent legislation including the statute you mention.

Indeed just re-read what you have said: "we don't need" and "we can get them under..." Both can't be true. Legislation is always the authority, otherwise the rule of law wouldn't exist.

Otherwise any and every statement could be obtained without any reason.
    S29 makes disclosure lawful but the data holder can also refuse 29(3) requests. However if an authorised officer
    Under the social security fraud act requests the information they can compel the bank to supply the information
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure