PPI Reclaim Companies MISS SELLING

Options
Ok here goes.....

So I was contacted by phone from a PPI Reclaim company! I was told they would act on my behalf and that there fees were 35% IF the claim was successful, they told me that all I have to do is sign the document and send them back, which I did.

So this week I get a successful claim and receive a £1600, cheque. But when I told the company this they said there fees were 35% plus VAT which was a shock as that is now 42% of my claim.

I was then invoiced for £1800 and out of that £791 was their fee costs. I called them to explain that i only received 1600 they confirmed that they go by the gross amount again I was shocked ! Apparently I was deducted 20% income tax off the claim which resulted in me greeting £1600 rather than £1800.

So you can imagine I'm vet upset and feel I have been treated un fairly, I mean a PPI company miss selling there services to reclaim back your PPI, So out of a chq for £1600 I get £900 because of the hidden VAT costs and Gross amount that they failed to tell and explain to me.

I have told them if i was told on the very first phone call that it was 35% + VAT of the GROSS amount then I would have said no, and they wouldn't have had the chance to send the documents, out to me. I have other claims going through which i have said i want to cancel as i feel ive been miss sold and the cancellation cost of each one is £145+vat.

So can I take this further to the financial ombudsmen despite me having signed the T&Cs

This makes me sick! I'm a vulnerable single mum with depression and this has made me relapse!

Please HELP thank you for reading

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Did you bother to read the document you signed?
    I have told them if i was told on the very first phone call that it was 35% + VAT of the GROSS amount then I would have said no,

Difficult to believe when you would willingly pay 35% for something you could have done yourself.

You can complain to whomever you wish. You will not be successful if your complaint is down to your failure to read what you were signing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Wslater79 wrote: »
    So out of a chq for £1600 I get £900 because of the hidden VAT costs and Gross amount that they failed to tell and explain to me.
    Since VAT is not part of their fees (the tax goes to the government) I can't see how you can complain that you were "mis-sold". Where was the tax "hidden"?

The Financial Ombudsman has no jurisdiction here, that would be the LEGAL Ombudsman.

As stated, though, you were not mis-sold and neither were the company's fees mis-represented. You should have read and clarified (if unsure) exactly what you would be charged prior to signing up with them..
    I'm a vulnerable single mum with depression and this has made me relapse!
    That's not a valid complaint I'm afraid.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    On a positive note, you saved the cost of a stamp to post the complaint yourself.
  • Wslater79
    Options
    Willing to pay 35% of the final claim not 35+VAT on the gross amount which no one would ever receive
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Some people will receive the gross amount.

It's reduced by income tax, remember.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Willing to pay 35% of the final claim not 35+VAT on the gross amount which no one would ever receive
    You won't get away with not also paying the tax.

Failure to pay in full will see them set debt collectors on you and ultimately they will take you to court.
  • Wslater79
    Options
    How can you receive the gross amount if 20% is deducted no one will ever receive the gross amount in terms of money
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How much of the award was actually interest - you may be able to claim some of the tax deducted from HMRC if you are a non/basic rate taxpayer.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    How can you receive the gross amount if 20% is deducted no one will ever receive the gross amount in terms of money

Non tax payers can reclaim the tax, so get the gross amount.
  • Wslater79
    Options
    Thick your missing the point here !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills