Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt

Comments

• Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    I agree with Hiddenidentity, you are making great progress.

I have been in the situation where I am having to find money in different pots to accommodate a spend elsewhere. No worries, if you wait to the end of the month, there just may be a bit of wiggle room.

I also had to make the ultimate sacrifice earlier this year and lose the deposit on a holiday. It was less than yours, but was still painful. But the end reasoning was good and solid. The saving overall makes the loss of the deposit more palatable. It's the loss of the holiday that hurts the most.

Tx
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Sorry you'll lose your deposit. I know it is for the greater good but still a shame.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Well done on making that decision. The deposit was already spent, but you have saved the rest of the balwnce.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks for all your encourging comments about cancelling the holiday. It was another example of our impulsive spending and the amount we would spend when there would just about wipe out the progress we will have made in reducing our debt this year.

I don't think I have mentioned it before but I go away on a girls holiday in about 3 weeks time :o It is all paid for, I have the spening money in my knicker drawer and dont need to buy any clothes. I did need a black dress for one evening but my lovely friend has said I can borrow an old (but lovely) one of hers as I only own one and it is too formal. :T Oh and I have about £30-40 coming back to me as the flight prices have dropped.

NSD today and I have picked up a couple of grocery items with my dinner allowance that will come in useful. DH has been directed to the RM in the freezer for his tea although my suggestion to make some sandwiches for tomorrow while it was nuking will have fallen on deaf ears ;)

I have been in my jarmas in the hotel (away with work) since about 6pm as I have done 8 hours driving on top of meetings today and am shattered.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • XSpender
    Wonders will never cease .... DH has actually made his own sandwiches for work this morning!:eek::rotfl: That has saved about £5 at least :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 16 May 2017 at 12:34PM
    Hi, I have just read your new diary, have a suggestion to make. I use Aldi washing powder and an old coffee spoon as a measure, you do not need the amount it says on the packet, half is sufficient. We have hard water here and once a month I add half a cup of washing soda to the machine, it keeps the machine and waste pipes clean. I also use white vinegar in the rinse dispenser drawer, it kills any soap residue, ok it does not soften the clothes but fabric softner is a form of plastic made from the petro-chemical industry, no good. If you dry clothes mostly in the line the wind will soften them.

I am sure with a little effort you can cut down your food spend. There are 2 of us and I spend about £120 a month, shop at Aldi, Lidl and Morrison, fell out with Tesco years ago. Have you thought about making a weeks worth of sandwiches wrapping and freezing them in separate bags, taken out of the freezer in the morning, they are thawed by lunchtime. Have a look at the MSE old style board, lots of ideas on there.

I will subscribe and follow your journey. I am on a small journey to clear a loan and credit card from when we moved 3 times in 2 years, almost at the end just a few months 3 - 4 to go and I can start saving some serious money.
  • clearmydebts
    clearmydebts Posts: 6,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Just wanted to pop by and say Hi! You sound really determined. That must have been a difficult decision to cancel the New York holiday. Holidays and trips away are my downfall.

I have subscribed!
    Total (Aug 19):€58,567 Now:€26,947
    DFD:Nov 22/June 22
    Mortgage: €199,712
    MFD: March 2042/July 2034
  • XSpender
    Hi, I have just read your new diary, have a suggestion to make. I use Aldi washing powder and an old coffee spoon as a measure, you do not need the amount it says on the packet, half is sufficient. We have hard water here and once a month I add half a cup of washing soda to the machine, it keeps the machine and waste pipes clean. I also use white vinegar in the rinse dispenser drawer, it kills any soap residue, ok it does not soften the clothes but fabric softner is a form of plastic made from the petro-chemical industry, no good. If you dry clothes mostly in the line the wind will soften them.

I am sure with a little effort you can cut down your food spend. There are 2 of us and I spend about £120 a month, shop at Aldi, Lidl and Morrison, fell out with Tesco years ago. Have you thought about making a weeks worth of sandwiches wrapping and freezing them in separate bags, taken out of the freezer in the morning, they are thawed by lunchtime. Have a look at the MSE old style board, lots of ideas on there.

I will subscribe and follow your journey. I am on a small journey to clear a loan and credit card from when we moved 3 times in 2 years, almost at the end just a few months 3 - 4 to go and I can start saving some serious money.

I tend not to use a full scoop of soap powder and haven't noticed any difference in my washing either. Thanks for the reminder about cleaning the washer with washing soda. I am sure we have some in the utility room and it could do with a clean.

What kind of sandwich fillings freeze well? DH likes ham, cheese, corned beef or tuna? If they were frozen he couldn't eat them at 9am and have nothing for lunch either ;)

Good luck with the last few months of your journey, I bet you can't wait :)
    Just wanted to pop by and say Hi! You sound really determined. That must have been a difficult decision to cancel the New York holiday. Holidays and trips away are my downfall.

I have subscribed!

Hi clearmydebts :wave: Holidays are a bit of an issue with us too.:o We had a spring holiday in the UK last year, moved in June and in August we went to Greece for a week on impulse! This year we have been away for a week in the UK when we said we were not going anywhere :mad:

Not too much to report today. Small dividend received, of about £25, which will go towards the home refurbishment overspend. I have £30 in TCB as well which I will withdraw to cover the rest.

Made some herby roast potatoes tonight to go with chicken kiev. The potatoes were from a bag mini potatoes that had a use by date of April and were bought on our weeks holiday at Easter! :eek: They were absolutely fine.

Today was a NSD.

I haven't cancelled NY yet but have removed the balance from my debt figure and it looks like I have paid loads off.
  • Not sure about tuna but my mum used to freeze ham & cheese and corned beef & pickle sandwiches for my dad. Probably best to avoid to avoid sliced tomato, cucumber etc and egg mayo... although it's probably best to avoid fresh egg mayo sandwiches for work as well!
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Mortgage-free: January 2021
    Retired: June 2022 (186 months early!)
  • XSpender
    Oooo you can't beat a freshly made egg sandwich.

I am going to make up DH's sarnies for next week at the weekend and freeze them. Apart from saving time this will stop DH snacking on the ham and there been none left for sarnies later in the week
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family