A Petition for govt to debate about Forces pensions being tax free

Options
This was shared with me so I thought I'd share it on here.

Make the uk armed forces pensions for 22 years service tax free.

The current U.K. Armed forces pensions, after 22 years service is taxable, other services are non taxable, this should be addressed and made fair across the public sector. Why should the armed forces serve 22 years plus to receive a taxable pension?

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/178330

Comments

• boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are armed forces pensions much lower typically than other pensions?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    13Kent wrote: »
    This was shared with me so I thought I'd share it on here.

Make the uk armed forces pensions for 22 years service tax free.

The current U.K. Armed forces pensions, after 22 years service is taxable, other services are non taxable, this should be addressed and made fair across the public sector. Why should the armed forces serve 22 years plus to receive a taxable pension?

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/178330
    What other standard UK pensions ( not pensions as a result of disablement etc) are tax free?

Posting as an RAF 'pensioner'
  • 13Kent
    13Kent Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    According to the petition

"The police force recieve a 100% non taxable pension after 20 years service with a maximum of 30 years service.
    The fire service receive a 100% non taxable pension after the same service but can serve up to 40 years for a increased pension of roughly £19,000 a year.
    the armed forces, however serve to their immediate pension point and have their pensions taxed, and classed a second earning, this needs to be changed and made fair across the board of the public sector industry."
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    According to the petition

"The police force recieve a 100% non taxable pension after 20 years service with a maximum of 30 years service.
    The fire service receive a 100% non taxable pension after the same service but can serve up to 40 years for a increased pension of roughly £19,000 a year.
    the armed forces, however serve to their immediate pension point and have their pensions taxed, and classed a second earning, this needs to be changed and made fair across the board of the public sector industry."

You really should check your facts police and fire service pensions are taxable just like any other. A quick check on Google would have proven that
  • 13Kent
    Options
    Well, I consider my self well and truly told off!!!

I did wonder about whether it was true or not, but ultimately I do feel it's unfair for any pension payments to be taxed when the individual has already paid tax throughout their working life to earn that pension whether they be military pensions or any other sorts.

So, as I said in my original post, I just thought I'd share it on here as it had been shared with me, I didn't set up the petition, obviously people can choose whether or not to read it or share it, and choose whether or not to check the facts themselves and either sign or not sign it.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 January 2017 at 3:36PM
    Options
    13Kent - thanks for the thought, but I think this petition is a wind up!

Mind you, it makes a change from the other common 'assumptions'. During my 22 years 'in' I would have accrued a fortune if I'd been given a £ for every time some daft civvie moaned about the 'fact' that the Armed Forces don't pay:

Tax or NI
    Food or accommodation charges
    Married quarter rent (including utility bills)

I even showed one of these numpties a copy of my payslip, which clearly listed deductions for tax/ni/food/accommodation but he still didn't believe me.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,824 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I did wonder about whether it was true or not, but ultimately I do feel it's unfair for any pension payments to be taxed when the individual has already paid tax throughout their working life to earn that pension whether they be military pensions or any other sorts.

There is already generous tax relief on pension contributions going in. Employee contributions come from pre-tax salary and/or the government provides tax relief, so there is no guarantee that an individual has paid any tax at all.

Pensions count as taxable income but tax will only be taken if the amount exceeds a persons annual tax allowance.
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I consider my self well and truly told off!!!

So, as I said in my original post, I just thought I'd share it on here as it had been shared with me, I didn't set up the petition, obviously people can choose whether or not to read it or share it, and choose whether or not to check the facts themselves and either sign or not sign it.

You think that everybody should get their pension tax free - really?
  • 13Kent
    Options
    Wind up or not it's got about 11 thousand signatures so far!

Why shouldn't people be paid their pensions tax free when they've paid tax all their working lives?
  • 13Kent
    Options
    It's quite frustrating when someone gets taxed at 40% on a pension that they have earned, so they only receive just over half of it, if they leave the military and have another job which pushes them above the 40% tax level.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure