Verified by Visa problems - anyone else?

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    hethmar wrote: »
    I had vbv on my capital one account, someone changed the password and used the card (luckily well spotted by Cap 1 and they didnt get any of the stuff they ordered BUT how did they manage to change my password - must be an inside job, which makes you feel nervous.

If you reset your password, you'll realise it hardly takes someone "on the inside" to do it ;)

Just need Date of Birth and Postcode I believe! Nope! Not very secure ;)
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Well, they still need that basic info dont they.
  • WEEGIE
    WEEGIE Posts: 11,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    After all these years one would think that all the problems would be ironed out, or is that asking too much.
    Like good food and drink?
    Try Hotel Chocolat and Baileys.
    :drool: :drool: :smiley:
  • hidunc
    hidunc Posts: 3 Newbie
    bobblebob wrote: »
    Verified by Visa is a waste of time, as its an optional service. So how does it improve security? Any dodgy site will simply not use them

If it were optional I wouldn't mind. Unfortunately Alliance & Leicester will not accept payment without it.
    Since my original post I have spent a further jolly hour trying to pay. It turns out that I need the security code from the back of my new card, which is lost in the post, although my old card doesn't expire til the end of the month, and I have not validated the new one.
    A & L offered to deregister the old card from VBV, but I then pointed out I couldn't use it to pay. They then said "ooh, you're right, aren't you!"
    They then put me straight through to MBNA's initial menu system, but of course it's nothing to do with MBNA. What a waste of an afternoon.
    MBNA said I should tear off the payment slip from the statement and hoof it into town to pay at a bank. There's progress!!
  • vava_3
    vava_3 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Been writing letters to Alliance and Leicester and also MBNA today. Had enough of their non existant customer services and being kept on hold all the time. My problems started when I tried to book airline tickets and the card was declined despite a £7900 limit and a nil balance! When I rang, MBNA were not helpful and told me it was their money I was trying to spend - not mine! Since then, every time I try to use a credit or debit card to pay for stuff online the card gets declined. Debit card works ok in shops using chip and pin. My suspicious mind keeps telling me that somebody has put gremlins into my account to prevent me from using it online. Could this possibly happen? Or am I just being paranoid?
  • zppp
    zppp Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    vava wrote: »
    Been writing letters to Alliance and Leicester and also MBNA today. Had enough of their non existant customer services and being kept on hold all the time. My problems started when I tried to book airline tickets and the card was declined despite a £7900 limit and a nil balance! When I rang, MBNA were not helpful and told me it was their money I was trying to spend - not mine! Since then, every time I try to use a credit or debit card to pay for stuff online the card gets declined. Debit card works ok in shops using chip and pin. My suspicious mind keeps telling me that somebody has put gremlins into my account to prevent me from using it online. Could this possibly happen? Or am I just being paranoid?

Paranoia I think
    Best Regards

zppp :)

• vava_3
    vava_3 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Thanks but I would have preferred someone to tell me that there is such a thing as a magic button that the nasty banks use to annoy us when we shout at them for their poor customer service. I just want to shop online! My hubby thought it was funny until he had to buy something online. He is more sympathetic now but my problem is still there.:p
  • Been touring most of the banks, without much to choose between them except for the Co-op:
    They are the only bank who apparently guarantee that they will not force you to use Verified by Visa, PLUS they say that whatever services you use, you will never have to choose new passwords if you don't wish to. Instead, at the start you choose 5 questions / answers, and all your passwords, including the verified by Visa one [which they guarantee will not need to be changed], emanate from these.
    Sounds great to me. Only drawbacks I can see are that they aren't a clearing bank and have few branches. By far the friendliest and most clued-in staff though.
    BTW, eventually went into my bank to pay my c c bill at the counter: and they wouldn't take payment in-branch!! They gave me the card in the first place, even though it's now morphed into an MBNA one...
  • studio_two
    studio_two Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 April 2011 at 12:09PM
    hidunc wrote: »
    If it were optional I wouldn't mind. Unfortunately Alliance & Leicester will not accept payment without it.

HMV online is the same.

I got a new Debit Card the other week and the system no longer works for me: "We are sorry - there was an error . Please submit your information again."

Where can I go to check if it is registered properly?

Kind Regards,
    Stephen
  • I have a FIRST DIRECT bank account with debit and credit cards.
    On some sites eg; BOOTS ,TRAINLINE and GRATTAN which are the ones I use often, when I've tried to pay in the last few months on any of them it goes to the 'processing' page and then returns to the Home page of the site and the transaction doesn't go through!! Before this was happening I frequently had to reset my passwords(usually to the same one!!!) and the payment went through!!
    I've phoned the bank and they say there's nothing wrong with my cards or passwords,and that it's the particular website that's faulty.
    I've just contacted GRATTAN to see what they had to say and they said it's my internet servers fault!!
    HELP!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport