DVLA clamped my car- Can i appeal ?

Comments

• Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    robnye wrote: »
    the positive point for your appeal, is that you cant get the car taxed without a valid insurance document, so you cant do that until you have the papers from quinn (?)

Irrelevent.
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Offence of having an untaxed vehicle on the road.

You couldn't buy tax as you didn't have insurance documentation

So you admit not having tax, and the vehicle being on the road.

I don't see why you think you have a defence?
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm only echoing what others have said, but what you are supposed to do is to go and see the car, and if you like it, GO HOME and sort out the insurance and tax. THEN go and collect the car with your new tax disc in your hot sticky hand.

No crimes committed; no chance of getting your new car clamped.
  • raskazz
    raskazz Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    robnye wrote: »
    the positive point for your appeal, is that you cant get the car taxed without a valid insurance document, so you cant do that until you have the papers from quinn

Irrelevant, this is no defence.

The driver should have made appropriate arrangements for tax and insurance. It was absolutely forseeable that this was going to be a problem, and it could have been avoided by simply requesting the insurance change a couple of days beforehand to ensure the documents would be received.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    or asking the seller if he/she had insurance on the car and could have taxed it for you
  • Stompydebs
    Stompydebs Posts: 227 Forumite
    First Post
    MarkyMarkD wrote: »
    I'm only echoing what others have said, but what you are supposed to do is to go and see the car, and if you like it, GO HOME and sort out the insurance and tax. THEN go and collect the car with your new tax disc in your hot sticky hand.

No crimes committed; no chance of getting your new car clamped.

Thanks to you all for pointing out my mistake (s). Will never buy an untaxed car again.

I did put my car on a relations driveway until insurance arrived today. Car is now taxed for a year :-)

But would like to know people's views on this,,bear with me ok.

I had to pay £200 to get car unclamped,, £120 of which i get back when i go to the car pound and show them my tax disc. So you park your car on the road outside their payment office, Take tax disc out of car and into the office so they can photocopy it. Then they give you your £120 back ( surety). But they will clamp your car again when it is outside there office as you have no tax disc showing, because it is in their office being photocopied,,,,
  • 6889joannew
    6889joannew Posts: 527 Forumite
    my oppinion is appeal against it because my father had a familiar experience and he bought a used car no tax and they clamped him outside of his house he appealed and he got his money back so i cant see why u cant.
    My father has also learned another thing that when a clamp is on your car wheel if you remove ya wheel ya can take it off without damaging(if ya damage it ya get knicked for criminal damage) it your not liable to pay a penny and he did this in front of the people who clamped him lol
    OCTOBER/NOVEMBER WINS- HOLIDAY TO DUBAI/IPAD 2/KINDLE AND LOTS OF OTHER OTHER LITTLE BITS I LOVE COMPING!!!
  • Bob63
    Bob63 Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    Stompydebs wrote: »
    So you park your car on the road outside their payment office, Take tax disc out of car and into the office so they can photocopy it. Then they give you your £120 back ( surety). But they will clamp your car again when it is outside there office as you have no tax disc showing, because it is in their office being photocopied,,,,
    Now you're being paranoid. DVLA care more about vehicles not having a tax disc more than they do about cars not displaying a tax disc. The cameras you see when they do spot checks are reading number plates and checking against the central database, they are not looking on the windscreen for a tax disc.

All my motorcycles are taxed. Not one of them displays a tax disc, as they are kept in my wallet. About 5 years ago I had a tax disc stolen off the bike. A local plod told me that as tax discs are nicked off bikes so often, the best thing was not to display it, simply keep it in my wallet and produce it if it was ever requested (which would be highly unlikely to happen) Note this was motorcycle specific advice
  • flutterbyuk25
    flutterbyuk25 Posts: 7,009 Forumite
    Now you're being paranoid. DVLA care more about vehicles not having a tax disc more than they do about cars not displaying a tax disc. The cameras you see when they do spot checks are reading number plates and checking against the central database, they are not looking on the windscreen for a tax disc.

This is because offically it is a police offence not to display a tax disc and it's a DVLA offence not to purchase a tax disc, hence why people get fined twice! Although the DVLA local offices collect the payments for the police offences.

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    easy,either take the bus(with your car on the driveway you used previously) or park it in a car park while you go and get it copied
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure