PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Wednesday 29th June 2016

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 29 June 2016 at 6:47AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Wednesday 29th June 2016

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.

Morning everyone

Birthday wishes to those celebrating a birthday, hope you have a great day x

Hugs and get well wishes to those that want/need them x

Now light, overcast and dreary. Not raining at the moment.

DH up and gone to work stupid stupid early. DS1 now getting ready for work. DS2 still in his pit.

Dinner last night was fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg, ice cream for dessert. Tonight we’ll be having ravoli/tortellini in sauces with a breaded chicken portion for the menfolk.

Hairdresser visited last night and we’re all tidied up ready for our hols. I’m working the extra hours this afternoon, so will be working all day. Work was reasonably quiet yesterday, but then we had times where several customers all came in at once.

I’ll have the usual “to do” list once I finish work today, but I’ll be concentrating on getting everything organised for our holiday – although I was off all last week I know I need some proper down time and some r & r, as not properly recovered yet, that is going to take a while.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

Well, it's here - last day of work for 6 weeks! I finish at 1pm (officially) but can imagine being there for a while after if parents 'forget' to pick their children up.

I have to pick my Euro card up after work then have a dentist appt. Must do some packing when I get home, one lot for this weekend (walking and more walking) and the other for going to Holland.

Have a happy Wednesday! Take care. XX
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Dull and overcast here and more rain due later on, off to work for me I hope its a quiet day !

Mums for dinner tonight Im not sure what she is cooking, will wait and see it will be lovely though.

DD has her driving theory test this afternoon so we have been practicing for that, A lot of it is common sense but there is an awful lot to learn, they didn't have it in my day :rotfl:

Topsy hope all goes well for your DS xx

Have good days all xx
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,031 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone.

The sun may come out today after the all day rain yesterday. At least I knuckled down to finish off scanning and emailing.

Today I'm taking someone to the local hospital but it's not a long trip this time.

Camelot - have a great last day. School's out for summer at last!

Hope everyone has a happy Wednesday everyone.
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,874 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Bright here in Kent at the moment but we are due rain later. I'm off to knitting group this morning. Trying to knit up the drums for my 12 drummers drumming. Small and fiddly aaaargh!

DH is off to a neighbours this morning who would like their production garden watered whilst they are away. They are offering a donation to his scout troop in return which is good.

DS1 finished his first year (of two) at college yesterday and scraped a pass. Need to discuss what happens next year as the work will get harder and his attendance has only been 77% which doesn't help. The boy really needs to grow up big time. He has postponed his theory driving test which was booked for next Wednesday. He hasn't done more than a couple of online practises so needs to actually read and retain some information. Next booked for August. Good luck to your daughter redruby xx

Dinner tonight is creamy chicken pesto pasta again from the student cookbook. Beef in beer last night was lovely eaten with mash and mange tout.

HW today focuses on our bedroom, landing and the main bathroom. Will have DH start whilst I'm out this morning. We got everything done yesterday and it felt great to sit down and relax last night with a lovely sparkly clean lounge - taking small wins right now!

Have a good day all
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Sunny and bright here but cool.

When I got into my car yesterday morning noticed that a mag lying in my passenger footwell was wet, looks like I have a blocked roof drain again (soft top) :( it happened a few years ago and is a pain. So, car booked in to the village garage on Friday, will ask them to service it and do the MOT as well. Hope it's not too expensive!

Not much planned for today, need to change the towels later and run a Hoover round. Still eating down the freezer, have veggie burgers tonight with frozen veg and that's that done, all ready for the new one turning up (hopefully) tomorrow.

Just had a dance round the kitchen to the Boss, Dancing in the Dark, happy days :T

Have a good day everyone, take care folks x
  • SpekySquarehead
    SpekySquarehead Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Good morning all,

As expected, yesterday was a long day at work but managed to get through without spending a penny. Home, tidied up and sat down to watch Deadpool with my GF which I surprisingly loved. Really funny and lighthearted.

Work today followed by the gym in some capacity. Got tremendous toothache, feels like a wisdom tooth coming in. I've got a dentist appointment booked for August as thats the next available Saturday, but I'm contemplating moving it forward and nipping out work earlier.

camelot - enjoy your time off and the couple of trips you have planned.
    rr - good luck to your DD today. As you say, it's mostly common sense, I'm sure she'll nail it.
    Lainey - I had something similair however the damp was coming from underneath and something to do with my air con, so hopefully it's not too expensive to repair.

Have a lovely day :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Off this morning to look at lawn mowers, out little mower is no good for the grass it is not powerful enough for the ob. We need some fence paint which is on offer at B & Q will look at their mowers and then to Argos if we are not successful.

Nothing much else planned for the day, will just see what turns up.
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,585 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all,

I've not been posting for the last few days because I've not had the heart for it. On the plus side I've also been catching up with the housework and gardening because I can't settle to more peaceful pursuits.

DS was 30 yesterday, how frightening is that. He and DD have calculated that they will have to find another 2,000 euros for their wedding unless the rates recover a lot more. We went out for a meal with them last night - just posh burgers and then back to theirs for a piece of the birthday cake I made.

I want some new plants for the garden, although maybe to plant in the autumn. We've got too many shrubs that don't give us enough colour. Spring is fine with the bulbs and we have several hardy geraniums which I love. We need stuff that is easy going because we can easily kill stuff. I was thinking maybe hardy fuschias and old roses but they need to be fairly compact because the garden isn't huge. We also want to put up a trellis on the fence at the bottom of the garden to hide the conifers in next doors garden (which were so overpowering DH cut them back to the line of the fence so they are now just bare on our side) so we need a climber for there. That fence is north facing but still gets lots of sun in the afternoon and evening, the garden as a whole is south facing so gets lots of sun. Any ideas?

Have a good day.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    csarina

The back garden is a tip at the moment covered in weedy gravel and shoddy wooden paving that is not properly fixed down and slippy! Once the huge fish tank, smaller tank, small shed and wonkyoverhead roofing are gone I can make a fresh start. I want it low maintenance but a nice area where I can sit in the sun and read or have a family meal outside using the huge dining table and six chairs.

I know it is sacrilege but I am planning on astroturf outside with a couple of raised beds for rose bushes etc at the sides. At the front I am going to contact some gardeners to tidy it up and make it nice without needing a lot of work.

SIL and a couple of dds did a bit of weeding and digging at the weekend and youngest asked why I had onions planted at the front! I thought for a bit and realised she meant the daffodil bulbs :D
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning, soggy day here.

OH is about to take DS for orthotics appointment, I need room do a quick work email check, but tired as git up for a wee in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep. But used tge time we'll by making a lot of little jacket, actually finished other than a leaf edging.

I shall make chicken in lemon, parsley and garlic sauce later, with mashed potatoes and broccoli. Last night was massive pizza with salads. I like making pizza, a bit like helping my son in his play kitchen many years ago.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport