Walk 1000 miles

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    It's proved that walking is better than running.

Only if you are doing lots of miles at faster than 7min per mile pace. Which most people don't do ... even though I can run that pace my long runs are done at a gentle pace of 8:30 a min (roughly 138 bpm heart rate) so as not to tire myself out for no benefits.

Anyway I am up to 871.5 mi for the year (just running) I am going to see if I can get it to tell me how many I have done whilst hiking.
    edit: I can get it to show august but I changed watches then so i can't go back further than that. So Augusts hiking total was 39 miles
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • I bought a garmin vivosmart hr on the 9th of June, so far I have walked 683 miles.
  • I just sneaked over the 25 mile mark this week bringing my total since July to 319.2
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Bought myself a pair of leather boots in the Trespass sale for winter walking, can't sniff at £60 off, I noticed the difference in weight straight away but hopefully I will get used to that. They are comfortable enough but like Ilona, I am just wearing them around the house at the moment.
    The winter programme starts on October 1, the walks are more local and on average a couple of miles longer than the summer ones as there is not so much climbing involved.

You will soon get used to them:D. £60.00 off, that's a result!
  • Brickwall wrote: »
    I bought a garmin vivosmart hr on the 9th of June, so far I have walked 683 miles.

Not sure if that model allows but might be worth putting in a custom stride length as it seems to me that it hugely over estimates distance.

Got one of the fist Vivofits and garmin is claiming I've done nearly 15,000 miles.

BTW How many steps are you averaging per week?
  • indesisiv
    I've just realised that my watch has been measuring my steps since I got it at the beginning of August. So far since then I have done 552,258 steps. No idea what that equates to in distance though.

As an aside I've now run 917.7 mi so far in 2016.
  • bugslet
    I've got a relatively small stride length, but for me 7000 steps is around 3.5 miles. When I first set up my Omron pedometer, I checked distance accuracy by walking an hour and then driving the same route.

I know, I'll get my (beige) anorak.....:o
  • indesisiv
    bugslet wrote: »
    I've got a relatively small stride length, but for me 7000 steps is around 3.5 miles. When I first set up my Omron pedometer, I checked distance accuracy by walking an hour and then driving the same route.

I know, I'll get my (beige) anorak.....:o

There's nothing wrong with beige sometimes Bugs.

I'm not overly worried with the exact amount of walking to be honest. I fail my step count everyday that I don't run. But then make up when I go for a run. The only time I measure distance with GPS as well as count steps is when I am hiking and that's not really a fair comparison with all of the climbing and descending.

I think the steptracking can take a back seat at the moment whilst I am putting in about 35 miles a week running. :rotfl:
  • bugslet
    indesisiv wrote: »
    I think the steptracking can take a back seat at the moment whilst I am putting in about 35 miles a week running. :rotfl:

You may just have the edge on me there indesisiv!;)
  • indesisiv
    bugslet wrote: »
    You may just have the edge on me there indesisiv!;)

Last minute attempt at getting fit before a 15k trail race next weekend with a wee bit of hills in it. I'm actually using a 7 mile race this weekend as a tempo run.
    I got a bit carried away with my short speed training trying to bring my 5k PB down and forgot I had some longer races coming up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport