Walk 1000 miles

Comments

• gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    edited 24 November 2016 at 8:15PM
    I have been using Google Fit on my phone to measure my steps (it does miles as well) for over two years.
    At the end of 2015 I totalled up my monthly figures to get the years total and worked out the daily average. This I put in to the app as my daily target for 2016. (A great incentive)
    As I get closer to the end of this year I am looking forward to the New HIGHER average that I have achieved that will become my new target for 2017.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • I walk about 3 miles everyday, it means 3600 miles in a year!
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I walk about 3 miles everyday, it means 3600 miles in a year!

By my reckoning 3 miles for 365 days is 1095 miles per year ... not 3600.
    3600 would be nearly 10 miles a day.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Update. I am on 948 now, so not far to go. I have a walking day planned in Yorkshire, and a three day walk in Derbyshire. I won't be far off the total when I have done these.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Havent posted on this thread in a while. Thinking of starting in the new year - what do you all use to track what you have done? Looked at fitbit thingys but they are a bit out of my price range. There is an equivilant on Amazon for around £15 ....... would it be worth a try - reviews are ok.
    https://goo.gl/cg2uqi
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    In my opinion any devise is better than none. Remember you are comparing your performance with YOU. So even if a cheap or expensive system is wrong it is normally consistently wrong.
    Simple example.
    If you device says you walked 1200 steps yesterday and today 1300 it means you did MORE steps today than yesterday. Simples.

I use a smart phone a Huawei P9light loaded with the app Google fit that measures steps, calories and distance.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    gfplux wrote: »
    In my opinion any devise is better than none. Remember you are comparing your performance with YOU. So even if a cheap or expensive system is wrong it is normally consistently wrong.
    Simple example.
    If you device says you walked 1200 steps yesterday and today 1300 it means you did MORE steps today than yesterday. Simples.

I use a smart phone a Huawei P9light loaded with the app Google fit that measures steps, calories and distance.

Maybe I could get that app on my iPhone - though it would then need to stay in my pocket which maybe isn't feasible.
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    BOBS wrote: »
    Havent posted on this thread in a while. Thinking of starting in the new year - what do you all use to track what you have done? Looked at fitbit thingys but they are a bit out of my price range. There is an equivilant on Amazon for around £15 ....... would it be worth a try - reviews are ok.

I say for £15 go for it and see how it goes. Anything that gets you moving has to be a good thing.

I use my Garmin Fenix 3 to track steps, although I don't look at them particularly and they are not converted to distance when I look at stats. So its largely academic for me. I certainly wouldn't recommend my watch as a step tracker as that is not what it is designed for.
    I know if I don't go for a run then I don't hit 10,000 steps a day as I work in an office and don't move around much.

I use my watch to track my running, hence my distance stats are a bit odd.
    So far this year for my running:
    Count: 241 Activities
    Distance: 1,281.53 mi
    Time: 235:12:41 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain: 34,652 m
    Avg Speed: 5.5 mph
    Avg HR: 146 bpm

I have also managed 1,322,352 steps since August.

Roll on next year when I up my mileage for marathon training. :T
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite

Personally I don't like carrying a phone with me all the time, so the apps don't work for me and I'm not a fan of wearing something round my wrist.

I use one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Omron-HJ325-Alvita-Ultimate-Pedometer/dp/B00J3ZLKC0/ref=sr_1_4?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1480491233&sr=1-4&keywords=omron+walking+style

Bit more expensive and doesn't do all the other stuff of heartrate and what not, but I'm happy with it counting steps, calories used and distance.

Most of all it's small, smaller than the palm of my hand, and fits neatly into my jeans pocket ( and works tucked in my bra:o). I've worn a pedometer more or less continuously since 2008 and on my fourth one.

Omron are probably the best if you want just a pedometer, cheaper ones have not cut the mustard|!

Working on 6 miles a day and I'm being conservative, I have my annual mileage down at 2190 p.a.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Havent posted on this thread in a while. Thinking of starting in the new year - what do you all use to track what you have done?

Hi. I approached this challenge in a slightly different way. Rather than rely on a gadget to count my steps/distance walked, I went onto the web site https://www.bikehike.co.uk and worked out a three mile route around my village. I set out from my house to walk as fast as I can, purely for the purpose of getting the exercise. It takes 50 minutes. I don't count in any other walking I might do in the course of a day.

For me, the point is to walk fast, a stroll, meander, dog walk, or shopping does not work my muscles and heart enough. A friend came with me a couple of times because her doctor told her she needs to exercise. She didn't didn't stick with it.

Walking the same route day in day out will not be for everyone, it takes discipline. I am going to do four days of extra walking in the countryside this month, for a change. I will take an OS map with me and highlight the route I take, then I can plot it out on bikehike when I get back and it will tell me how far I have walked. I love maps and map reading so this is the best option for me.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills