Is this true?

Placed an order for multiple items on eBay. Different sellers, total app £200. This was the 27th September
Everything received bar one item. Sent message to seller on 3rd October. No response.
Opened case 4th October stating I needed the item. I did not want a refund. Item is £7. No response from seller
Email from eBay today saying I can escalate which I did. eBay refunded within 20 minutes.
I've now had an email from the seller saying that it's not their fault they didn't reply, they were away, yet they've been active on eBay all along. Listing and leaving feedback.
Their listings offer free p&p however his message states that
It's my fault they couldn't send another one as I opened a case and sellers are not allowed replace items if a case has been opened. Also if I want to order again then I will have to pay for signed for to protect themselves from being scammed again.
I won't be ordering again from them. There are two other sellers selling the same thing. If I was going to scam someone surely it would be on the higher priced items not a £7 item!
My feedback is 800 at 100%. All as a buyer.
Just don't really know what to make of this. Thank you.

Comments

• babyemily wrote: »
    My feedback is 800 at 100%. All as a buyer.
    As a buyer, it can only ever be 100% positive as sellers are not able to leave negative or neutral feedback.
  • babyemily
    babyemily Posts: 421 Forumite
    As a buyer, it can only ever be 100% positive as sellers are not able to leave negative or neutral feedback.

Fair point! But I buy a lot on eBay and I've never heard of this. Although to be fair I've only had 2 other INR in 12 years. Both had not been sent at all. Surely seller should have responded to message and/or case rather than email after eBay had issued a refund??

All I wanted was the item :-(
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,043
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    some sellers do think if they ignore things it will go away- or maybe he just forgot to respond. Either way he is correct in that once a case is open it is difficult to send a replacement, but that is not your problem it is his as he should have responded earlier.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Flyonthewall
    Flyonthewall Posts: 4,431
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If they've been active they're just making excuses.

It is true the case doesn't give a replacement offer, but they could have replied to the case, sent out a replacement and asked for you to close the case when the replacement arrived or just refunded you and sent an apology message saying sorry and if you still want the item you can reorder.

As for signed for, fair enough they want to protect themselves, but it's not your fault the item didn't arrive. Seems they just assume any INR is a scam which is sad.
  • soolin
    Ambassador

Seems they just assume any INR is a scam which is sad.

As do many on here!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • There is one small point that the seller has. When the buyer opens a case, there is the option of "refund" or "replacement", or I think it's called "the item"? Anyway, If the buyer chooses refund, they get their refund. If the buyer wants a replacement, the seller really has to apply tracking to the replacement and then update the tracking details. If it's say a 99p item and doesn't warrant tracking, then it really is better off the buyer is refunded and place a new order.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • Flyonthewall
    Flyonthewall Posts: 4,431
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    soolin wrote: »
    As do many on here!

Indeed :( Most probably wouldn't tell the buyers that though.
  • soolin
    Ambassador
    There is one small point that the seller has. When the buyer opens a case, there is the option of "refund" or "replacement", or I think it's called "the item"? Anyway, If the buyer chooses refund, they get their refund. If the buyer wants a replacement, the seller really has to apply tracking to the replacement and then update the tracking details. If it's say a 99p item and doesn't warrant tracking, then it really is better off the buyer is refunded and place a new order.

I admit to being one seller who if a case is opened I refund and block, I will not send another item as I am then reliant on buyer remembering to close the case. However, I have never ignored a buyer email- even when abroad as I am frequently I log in to make sure I can respond quickly, I also leave holiday messages to go out automatically to any questions via ebay. If a case is opened on me it is usually from a buyer who has made no attempt to contact me first- so that is how I justify my refund and block habit.
    Indeed :( Most probably wouldn't tell the buyers that though.

Have you read some of the advice on here on occasions :rotfl:
  • soolin wrote: »
    Have you read some of the advice on here on occasions :rotfl:

Yeah, good point. I hope it's most even if it sometimes doesn't seem it when you read such posts lol.
  • Thank you all for your replies. I have spent on eBay £437.57 in 5 weeks. I am decorating!! A lot of decorating.
    All uk sellers. Not always the cheapest and I pay immediately by paypal so I don't forget ;-)
    In all those items. One £7 item didn't turn up. I did message the seller before opening a case. The day I messaged he was actively listing. The day I opened the case he was leaving feedback. Not registered as a business seller but very obviously a business seller. Multiple listings of the same item, different sizes etc so he has a no refund option in place.
    I say he as default. I genuinely don't know.
    What I do know is that, I specifically said I don't want a refund. I want the item and he only messaged when eBay refunded. He did not refund himself.
    I have not left any feedback and I don't know if I will.
    But I am not a scammer. Had he looked at my recent feedback he would have seen that. I always leave feedback when I receive my item. There was a lot left this past month!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure