Redundancy conundrum

tootiemac
tootiemac Posts: 174
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
edited 18 September 2016 at 10:09AM in Redundancy & redundancy planning
Hi All,
It's my first time in this part of the forum so please forgive me if I make a mistake (it's also my first time in this situation).

On Tuesday last week we were told that our team was no longer being fund and that we had entered into consultation but that we would all be made redundant on the 25th of October.

I work for an agency on contract to a multinational company and have done for 6years.
We have all been searching for jobs but here's my conundrum:

They say we do not have to work our notice but they will pay us so I have 6weeks.
I am then due 6 weeks of redundancy pay and 3 weeks of holiday pay.

This means that if I stay till the end I will walk about with 15 weeks of pay over and above my monthly.

My problem is that I get married in November so need 3 weeks off around that.

I'm unsure what to do, there is a job that I can apply for starts the 1st October but this would mean no redundancy (so just 3 weeks holiday pay if I can't move them over) but out with that I'm not sure anyone would really want to hire me until my wedding is over.

Yes redundancy in 4 weeks wedding 4 weeks later.

So question is - hold out for redundancy and the take 1 month for wedding and hope to find a job that starts December 1st or take any job offered lose the package but have a job?

Obviously I know that a job is a longer terms solution but I'm not sure anyone will hire me if I need that length of time off so quickly.

Thanks!

Comments

• You need to clarify what they are offering if they will pay you but not work, PILON or garden leave.

Read up about counter notice you are in that window.

Keep the current job opportunity very very quiet till you have done more research.

The job that starts 1st will need to know about the 3 weeks so may be flexible on start dates if there is a three week gap a few weeks after starting.
  • What is happening to the contract you work on?
    Check they are not supposed to ne looking at TUPE.
  • I believe their exact words were "you can leave on that day and we'll pay you your notice period".
    The team I work for is no longer being funded for the companies next finance year...we've also just been spun off so I think it's just a cost cutting excerise.

The mentioned job is replacement for someone that retiring early due to ill health, they weren't supposed to retire till December. If I took it I would carry my service as it's the same client under the same agency just a different team.
  • if the job is on par(pay and terms) with what you have and you are generally happy with the structure you are giving up 6weeks redundancy PAY and potentially 6weeks doing nothing.

in place of that you have a job and banked 6weeks redundancy which will rise to 7....

Unless I was sure I could get a decent job to start by say Jan I would go for the potential other job.

you may not get the job but showing an interest in staying may make you desirable for other options.

can they really just drop the stuff your team is doing?
  • What's everyone's thoughts on my likelihood to get hired with needing 3 weeks off so quickly.
    @Getmore4less I fully agree that the new job is the better option but it's the 3 weeks I need off.
    The pay isn't on par with what I get just now it's about 20% less but still liveable.

And in answer to your finally question no, their making the next level up take on the work but their already stretched so we'll see who that works for them.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    It's more an internal transfer if keeping the continuity accrued holiday should just carry over and any booked honoured you can make that a condition of staying and taking the new option.

The could try and force someone to take the position as a suitable alternative and also cancel any booked holiday but that is great way to have demotivated person in the job.

If you think there plan will fail then still being there you could end up back doing what you currently do
  • It also depends on your thoughts on you current company, do you want to stay there, is it likely they will continue with redundancy's or is this a one off?

My previous employer wanted me to go into another department, having made most of my department redundant, but I could see more redundancies coming, as I had already got an offer of a new job at a new employer, I took the redundancy and left.

If this is a new role you are not currently doing, there are rules on being able to try a new position and if you do not like it, you can ask for the original redundancy package that was offered, so it is worth checking.
  • tootiemac wrote: »
    What's everyone's thoughts on my likelihood to get hired with needing 3 weeks off so quickly.
    @Getmore4less I fully agree that the new job is the better option but it's the 3 weeks I need off.
    The pay isn't on par with what I get just now it's about 20% less but still liveable.

And in answer to your finally question no, their making the next level up take on the work but their already stretched so we'll see who that works for them.

I'm assuming the three weeks includes honeymoon? I'm a pragamatist and have no romantic bones in my body. I'd be seeing if I could cancel my honeymoon and just have a holiday later on instead - I couldn't rest if I thought I was potentially missing out on jobs for a honeymoon, but I appreciate not everyone may think the same.

It's hard to say though what potential employers might think about a 3 week holiday soon after starting. Some mightn't be bothered but for others it may cause issues with business planning. Personally, I'd be up front at interview stage. I was going to say you could even mention it at the point of application but thinking about personal interactions, it'd probably be better at interview stage. I'm convinced I missed out on an interview for a very niche job recently by putting my current salary on the application form as it was higher than the maximum being offered but for personal reasons I'd have been happy to take a paycut for that particular role, but I fear just the bald figure on a page may have made them wonder whether I was desperate/being managed out of current role etc. Of course it might be that they didn't think I was good enough - impossible to second guess what each recruiting panel will think is relevant!
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    For future reference, it is common for people to not put salaries on applications at all. What you earn currently or in the past really isn't a determining factor in relationship to your suitability for the post. If they ask, the best response is to turn it back by asking what they are offering.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,815
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    tootiemac wrote: »

This means that if I stay till the end I will walk about with 15 weeks of pay over and above my monthly.

I'd be doing this option.

Then looking for another job, or seeing how the new team is getting on, and see if there is a way back in for you

Good luck for your wedding
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.7K Work, Benefits & Business