help paying for driving lessons ?

hi all, im just wondering if there is any help available for people on DLA and IB (IS) towards the cost of driving lessons ?

:confused:

Comments

• hello - I think you can get some help with driving lessons if you are on the higher rate of mobility through Motability - but you would need to check their website for up to date information.
  • mummytofour
    mummytofour Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    Ooops sorry wrong info
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
  • jacnorm
    jacnorm Posts: 410 Forumite
    I know if you get high mobility that they pay for some driving lessons for a second driver if they are under 24/25yrs as they did this for my daughter. My husband gets the dla and she had to complete the theory side within a certain time scale. The lessons were paid for in blocks of ten and they check how you are progressing befor paying for the next ten.
  • kronas wrote: »
    hi all, im just wondering if there is any help available for people on DLA and IB (IS) towards the cost of driving lessons ?

:confused:

Could you not use the extra money from DLA to cover some lessons?

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • My daughter is on the highest rate of DLA for mobility and personal care and as she is under 24 she applied for driving lessons via Motability

http://www.motability.co.uk/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=89984

It took a while but she was told she could have quite a few free - someone from the AA school of motoring contacted her and she had a first lesson to see if she needed any adaptations and has been having them ever since (shes now had 8) She applied for and passed her theory test (again all paid for) and apparently they will pay for her actual test.

I will contact her and get the exact details.
    Kondo'ed 76 items from wardrobe, 4 carrier bags of books
  • My daughter is on the highest rate of DLA for mobility and personal care and as she is under 24 she applied for driving lessons via Motability

http://www.motability.co.uk/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=89984

It took a while but she was told she could have quite a few free - someone from the AA school of motoring contacted her and she had a first lesson to see if she needed any adaptations and has been having them ever since (shes now had 8) She applied for and passed her theory test (again all paid for) and apparently they will pay for her actual test.

I will contact her and get the exact details.

Does your DD loose some of her motability component (sp) because of the lessons?

Thanks

PP
    xx
    requires brains!
  • kronas
    kronas Posts: 408 Forumite
    Could you not use the extra money from DLA to cover some lessons?

PP
    xx

i only get low rate DLA care, i have been told i am entitled to a higher rate and possibly even low rate mobility, but my conditions are discriminatory towards doing physical things, so its catch 22 you want to do things but cant because it will take me longer to do the actions and affects my health interms of not allowing me to do other things, i cant even turn a steering wheel properly when i asked a mate to let me try just a few years ago!

so i should just sit there and not progress in life, or try and give things a go ????
  • jdeerfc1
    jdeerfc1 Posts: 31 Forumite
    jac/norm wrote: »
    I know if you get high mobility that they pay for some driving lessons for a second driver if they are under 24/25yrs as they did this for my daughter. My husband gets the dla and she had to complete the theory side within a certain time scale. The lessons were paid for in blocks of ten and they check how you are progressing befor paying for the next ten.

Hi jac/norm could you give me more information on this please many thanks
  • kronas wrote: »
    so i should just sit there and not progress in life, or try and give things a go ????

I wasnt being funny!

If you feel and have been told you should recive more than you do, then you should ask for either a reconsideration or tell them when your DLA is up for renewal. As long as your GP and/or consultant can back you up with your disabilities or length of time to complete tasks, then this will help your case. You can also ask for help in filling in the forms to make sure your claim can be as successful as possible.

I would be surprised if you would get any help for mobility problems if you receive no mobility allowance. I would ask a disability advisor at the job centre and see what they say.

PP
    xx
    requires brains!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts