Frugal frump to Fab - Astonishing Autum Exquinox to Wondrous Winter Solstice

Comments

• floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    LL I totally agree. I'm currently waiting for an "At Risk" letter from my local govt employer. Hopefully my name is not in the pot this time round (or next year hopefully, as we've got an endowment shortfall to make up by April 2015) but I'm darn sure I won't be there in 5 years time. Ideally I will be working part-time, possibly for myself, although I haven't yet got any firm thoughts for what to do!
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hugs to those needing them.

I look distinctly unfab and due to bad weather/snow here been unable to do my daily walks. But I'm keeping up with the fabbing routine. Honestly I lay out so many things in the morning. It goes something like this:

Facial oil (used up this sample this morning)
    Liz Earle light cream
    Richer cream for my neck (anything I'm targeting to use up)
    Perfume/deodorant
    Couple of drops of Bachs flower remedy (targeting to use up)
    Vitamin C tablet
    Body cream
    Smelling salts, very old fashioned thing to use but helps my breathing

I'm exhausted just reading it.:rotfl:

Like the idea of financial fabbing. I might think of a challenge for myself on that front. Something like sort 7 financial things in 7 days. Actually I will do that starting tomorrow. So anything from update a savings account/ISA, apply to reduce/increase limits, etc etc.
    :A
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 December 2012 at 6:17PM

Like the idea of financial fabbing. I might think of a challenge for myself on that front. Something like sort 7 financial things in 7 days. Actually I will do that starting tomorrow. So anything from update a savings account/ISA, apply to reduce/increase limits, etc etc.
    :A

Great challenge there and one that I'm definitely up for in the New Year. If we do one thing each day to improve our finances - wow what we could achieve in a year. :D

I've made a bit of a start, ie the pension decision, but at the moment a lot of it is just research at the because DS2 and I will make a lot of changes to our budgets when we move.

We've already looked at things like Broadband/phone/tv etc. Both of our names will appear on the lease so we are going to put some things in his name so that he gets the new customer discount. Just swapping them and keeping them in my name means we can't take advantage of any offers. Plus, it will all help build up his credit score for when he is ready to take out a mortgage.

But yes, come the New Year, I will be drilling down and fine tuning the finances.

I recently bought a load of business books from Amazon (£0-01p each - bargains!!!!) and I am teaching myself.

I negotiated a brand new still in the wrappers £1200 ex showhouse bed down to £150 yesterday. I've always been a good negotiator but at one time I wouldn't have dared be so cheeky. I'm learning fast.

Today I went into the YMCA to organise them to pick up my old bed and office furniture which I won't be taking with me. They get a gift and I don't have to hire someone to remove them. Win-win. We both benefit.

I'm such a regular customer there that they have now started holding things back for me me to look at. :rotfl:

They let me have a really pretty bracelet today for £0-50p, a set of silver (plated) teaspoons for £1 and a really flash still in the box stainless steel citrus press for £2. It will look fab in my new kitchen. I've asked them to watch out for a nice writing bureau for me.

Next year I want to get really financially secure and this means honing my negotiating and selling skills, wheeling and dealing and getting really financially savvy - hence the business books.;)

Fab health, fab body, fab wardrobes, fab houses and now we are aiming for fab bank accounts:rotfl:

Can we do this ladies - of course we can - onwards and upwards!!!!.
  • mineallmine
    Thanks LL for the inspiration. I'm doing lots of challenges and things like finances can seem a bit dry. Edit: I hate doing them! I started a thread on this so I'm committed!! http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4328971
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 December 2012 at 6:20PM
    Right Mine.

Thanks for starting your new thread.

I'll post my financial progress on there so as not to clog this one up with financial stuff.

PS I used to find financial stuff dry and boring, now I find it fascinating. I've even come to understand compound interest. And ....I'm no longer scared of maths....
  • fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    Well I am well happy after encouraging a collegue along with my other fitness buddy pals at work who has started exercising to feel better and has started with a gym, here's hoping it continues and its not a fad.

However I am well happy because I've just had my hair cut for the first time by a lovely mobile hairdresser I found on the tinternet and I was very apprehensive about whether it would be a let down like last time when I was disappointed with the hair cut after changing hair dressers. She was lovely and has cut my hair into a lovely neater more stylish style which I said 'thanks it looks lovely!' - and I meant it!

As you know I've been downbranding over the last couple of years and the haircut was one of the last ones to downbrand on. I thought I might go back up brand if this didn't work out but now I don't have to

Costs
    Old hairdresser before NUS discount - £56
    Old hairdresser post discount - £41 - used to be £35 then cost went up a level
    Last hairdresser £30 - not going back didn't like the cut
    New mobile hairdresser £20 - can't believe this price - cut as good as £56/£41/£35 and better sometimes

Difference - £36 when NUS discount expires this year or £15 cheaper than discount cost

Result - very happy! At one time I could never imagine I would get such a good cut for £20 and not feel the slight nervousness of being in a salon while watching in the bright lights as they tried to tame my incredibly straight hair :D

Tonight I will be fabbing ironing and finalising my shopping list for the weekend after the final ebay collection is made in a little while and then a lovely tea of salmon, veg and potato and rice pudding dessert - nice!
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • mineallmine
    I hope everyone is ok. The weather seems pretty cold across the country. So keep warm.

That's really good fedupandskint. To have a great result and save money.

No walks today as the snow/ice is tricky here. So I am behind my target. I really need to get back into swimming too. When I'm there I love it. It's not too far away. But it seems an effort to get there. I need to get my act together on this.
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Great challenge there and one that I'm definitely up for in the New Year. If we do one thing each day to improve our finances - wow what we could achieve in a year. :D

But yes, come the New Year, I will be drilling down and fine tuning the finances.

Fab health, fab body, fab wardrobes, fab houses and now we are aiming for fab bank accounts:rotfl:

Can we do this ladies - of course we can - onwards and upwards!!!!.

This is also my aim for the New Year - made a bit of a start this year post divorce, but there's still plenty that can be done.
    My ultimate goal is to get a £5K emergency fund that is not to be touched (have about £3k in an account in addition to everyday savings) and have no debt at all (currently only have one smallish credit card account but no loans or other credit).

Feel like my life is kind of sorted these days - lost weight, fitter than ever (but could still improve), happy home life with just me and the dog, increased my social circle a bit and the job is going well. I just need some added security financially. So lets get Xmas over with and then get some serious dosh in the bank.;)

Fabbing wise, only a 4k walk today with the dog and a nice bath to warm up again. The usual hair, make up and suit for work and a fairly good food day (not perfect but good enough to hopefully stay where I am weightwise).
    Need to plan some serious exercise for the weekend - hope the snow holds off. No visitors or big plans thankfully so can just have the weekend to myself to relax. 2 more days......
  • bratz81
    bratz81 Posts: 673 Forumite
    all the financial goals sound good :) I'm working on paying off debts right now, since we got married the husbandino is paying towards them too. At first I was doubtful about this as they're my debts but he, rightly, made the point that we want to buy our own place and this will help us get there quicker.
    I should have my credit card paid off by Feb/March and then can save up to pay the loan off as you can't overpay it. I'd say by August next year that will be gone too.
    After that we can save for a house :)

On the fabbing front I managed to finally master Dutch braiding so my hair is in two Dutch braids which looks cute and keeps it tidy in the wind. Good since we're heading into town after work to get some more Xmas shopping done.

I also made white chocolate and espresso truffles last night...was hoping to give them as a gift but although they taste amazing they look like something shot at and missed haha so need to practise those.
    I've a recipe for dark chocolate and brandy truffles which looks easier so will give them a go tonight along with making cranberry and parma ham stuffing balls for the MIL and me for Xmas.
    carpe diem :cool:

[STRIKE]Santander OD- £0/£870[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Mint cc - £0/£6500[/STRIKE]
    [FONT=&quot]HOF cc - £640/£750 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A&L Loan - £2497/£7500[/FONT]
  • lizzie157
    lizzie157 Posts: 542 Forumite
    Hi all, Been MIA again - still very busy decorating both for myself and others - am going to look into a course just to hone my skills a bit and then see about getting a few paid jobs if possible at some point.
    DS 2 is almost ready to move in now and hoping to be in before xmas and am off to finish up at mum's shortly.
    Have managed to do most of my xmas shopping, just a few bits and bobs left.
    Kids are ill atm with colds and both went down with a sickness bug yesterday so fingers crossed it passes me by -i don't have time to be ill just now!
    Got my certificate for the first 2 OU courses yesterday - pleased with that! :) Have almost caught up with the present course just some typing up and editing to do -really want to get it out of the way before xmas if i can.
    Fabbing........erm it's gone out of the window a bit tbh :o, I went shopping the other day and as it was a rush after dogwalking, painting, etc admit I looked a sight, grey roots etc, but it spurred me on to try and sort myself out a bit. Made the time to dye my hair that night :rotfl:. Still going to yoga and doing the basics but anything above that well it's just not happening though i have lost another 1llb. Trying to keep ontop of the eating, not always managing it but at least it's still going in the right direction if a bit slow.
    Sorry can't reply to anyone in particular must go and get moving again but hugs to those who need them and keep up the good work to everyone else. x :T
    Frump to Fab - Solstice Sizzler :)
    OU creative writing student :)
    Striving for a better life! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills