Esa: Support group, means tested?

Comments

• cagneyfan
    cagneyfan Posts: 378 Forumite
    goffo wrote: »
    Thank you! I was only trying to help and I am not a troll at all!!

If you would refer yourself back, you said following my question that the OP was on IB ESA!! Now you agree with me that he is on CB ESA. Please keep up with the times.

No, I'm on Incapactity benefit with no income support
  • cagneyfan wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm sick of trying to figure out all the info on ESA. I'm sick with worry. I get Incapacity benefit (no income support)

Can someone tell me please - If by some miracle I pass the medical when it looms, and if I get put in the Support group. Am I right in thinking I won't be forced to go out and do a job I'm not capable of doing. And will any savings I have be taken into account. I read this site, get confused, then upset, then stop reading for a while, then get really churned up and can't think straight.

Am I also right in thinking that the rates of benefit are going to be drastically cut? I keep looking at government sites etc but come away more confused.

I thought Esa was just one particular benefit, but it seems that there's different aspects of it.

ESA support group means your both too sick to work and too sick to think about looking for work.. even in support group you will after a period of time be re tested

there is a chance if your on IB and are at present in the exempt IB50 paper work you will be ONE OF THE FIRST to move to ESA

try this test

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/med2/index.php

The test is based on this document which is what the new ESA50 will be based on

http://www.ssac.org.uk/pdf/employment_and_support_allowance_regs.pdf

could be another 4 weeks before anything is offical
    In London, you're never more than 20 feet away from someone telling you you're never more than 20 feet from a rat .
  • Sorry this is the final document being used to work out what the test will be :D

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/work-capability-assessment-review-addendum.pdf
    In London, you're never more than 20 feet away from someone telling you you're never more than 20 feet from a rat .
  • Cranny44
    Cranny44 Posts: 607 Forumite
    I read this on Rightsnet if any interest to you, posted on 27 jan:

Mr Grayling says that the DWP intends to have a limited, introductory phase in every centre, carried out in the same controlled conditions as Burnley and Aberdeen, and that - 'At the end of February, we will begin this introductory phase. Letters will be sent to 1,000 customers a week nationally, marking the commencement of their reassessment. So a total of around 300 people will be assessed in each reassessment centre over this period. In April, we will step up the implementation and increase the number of cases to around 7,000 a week. From May we will be processing the full case load of around 11,000 cases per week. This steady ramp up of activity will ensure that Jobcentre Plus and its partners are ready and can deal with the volume of cases as it builds. Customers' reactions to the changes will be closely monitored and lessons applied.'

So i guess your letter may be in the post sooner rather than later and your situation will be resolved for you.... although i wouldnt hold my breath they have never yet migrated all income support claimants with children to tax credits and that started several years ago..

As for the group placements this seems to be inconsistant on my case load i have clients in full time residential care in the work group??? and more able people in the community in the support group..
    Updating .................................................
  • cit_k
    cit_k Posts: 24,812 Forumite
    So, they are going to start with the most ill people, and learn 'lessons' from the failures.
    I suppose, the most ill people will be the ones who are less likely to be able to appeal or kick up a stink, so it keeps the publicity down and appeal figures low,which is what they need at the start of the move, as it will be scrutinised by the media (a little bit anyway).
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
    [/greenhighlight][redtitle]
    The impact of this is to stigmatise people on benefits,
    and we should be deeply worried about that
    [/redtitle](house of lords debate, talking about Cameron)
  • Cranny44 wrote: »
    As for the group placements this seems to be inconsistant on my case load i have clients in full time residential care in the work group??? and more able people in the community in the support group..

Thats not a supprise and if you go back 20 odd years people in care homes got bussed to remploy factories and did a full days work as did people in Legion homes .... the fact they are in care homes with support might work against them the way they have the rules set.. as all the tests these days look at what they can still do, not whats wrong with the person. that "more able" person has not in there eyes got the support so being able to carry out tasks and function might be harder

remember its not a sick note now its a FIT NOTE :rotfl:
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    ESA support group means your both too sick to work and too sick to think about looking for work.. even in support group you will after a period of time be re tested

there is a chance if your on IB and are at present in the exempt IB50 paper work you will be ONE OF THE FIRST to move to ESA

try this test

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/med2/index.php

The test is based on this document which is what the new ESA50 will be based on

http://www.ssac.org.uk/pdf/employment_and_support_allowance_regs.pdf

could be another 4 weeks before anything is offical

Have just read some of the ssac.org document. Is Incapacity Benefit paid at a much higher rate than ESA? Sounds like it is a much better benefit to be on and presumably was much easier to get than under the new ESA rules.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• G-Man66
    G-Man66 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2011 at 12:42AM
    im on IB + dla its at about 96 quid a week,is it more than the newer version? the first year it was a lot lower, and i get dla ive been reading a bit on the gov site, what made me? was why i never got cold weather payments and others did and IB was not means tested hence why i dont get the payments,
    i have no savings so damn annoying i can tell you ! from what i can gather the gov dont like the idea of not being means tested? and there is also a lot of people that shouldnt be on it i know one, that doesnt have anything wrong with them they are just damn lazy and their whole family know how to play the system, this person gets the same dla as i do plus what ever benefit gets cold weather payments i think it the newer IB MEANS TESTED? so i can see why it has to be done but also a lot of people seem to be getting hurt because of the new system
    and doing the sickest first is that really how they are doing it ? because they will be the group least likely to complain for sure !
    i guess i must be in line for a surprise assessment? before my last year of my award runs out ? every one by 2014 isnt it ?
    and i thought at last i didnt have to jump though any more hoops when i got my dla ,
    i must read up more on it i guess, but its so depressing when you know there is more upset ahead dont you ?
    thanks for the thread this place is so cool ive been a lurker for a year or so!
    kind regards G
  • Hi ,i went sick in oct 2009 and after consulting with my doctor i was made unemployed in nov 2009.Because i was off sick at the time, i was told i could not be a jobseeker as i was not fit for work at the time.I was told that i would be assesed for esa allowance.Because i had paid enough contributions i was assesed for contribution based esa. in jan 2010 i was examined at the request of the dhss to find out if i actually had the medical conditions that i claimed i had.After this was confirmed at the medical, i recieved within a week, a request to attend a second medical. This medical was to assess how my illness affected my ability to work and which group i was put in.I was placed in the work support group which meant that in the doctors opinion i was limited as to my capacity to work.I was sent copies of the reports which are available on request, i noticed that on the second report that the doctor had reccommended a further medical/review in 6 months.I have now been on esa contributionary based for 15 months during which time i have taken part in 6 compulsary work based interviews which may be telephone interviews,this is at the discretion of the jobcenter.My wife has a full time job and i, a small pension.Please be aware that if you are in reciept of income based esa,this could trigger an automatic payment of working tax credit if you were to apply.In my case this happened to me by mistake,even when i rang and asked where the money had come from i was told it was mine.Two months later they asked for the money back as they had based my application on income based esa not contributionary based.Also income based esa claimants will find it easier to claim council tax rebate,free prescriptions,vouchers for glasses etc. Income based and contribution based esa are paid at the same rate and i asked if my contributionary based rate would ever change to income based rate .I was told that the only way that it could change was if i resumed work for at least 6 months i coulre-apply but i would then probably be again put on contributionary based.or if my wife gave up work i may be entightled to income based otherwise i would remain on contributionary based esa for as long as i am unable to work provided that the dwp doctor agrees.The medicals are routine as on my last medical it was agreed that i have an ongoing condition that is more likely to get worse than better but the physician said that i will always have to attend an annual medical and that she had recommended another in 12 months.
  • melbury wrote: »
    Have just read some of the ssac.org document. Is Incapacity Benefit paid at a much higher rate than ESA? Sounds like it is a much better benefit to be on and presumably was much easier to get than under the new ESA rules.

It is or now was easier to get on, when people on IB get moved to ESA as all will apart from people coming up to retirment they will get old age pension.. if when you move you would have got more on IB you will get that amount as long as you still get esa and untill the esa catches up with old IB rates

NO one on IB will lose money by moving your rate is protected

as it was a better benefit to be on and with much easier tests (By comparison) thats why they are getting rid of the IB

many people on IB will fail to get ESA some will get it after an appeal, but many will not and have to apply for JSA

If you fail medical for IB to ESA move your benefit will be cut while you appeal if you win then any money owing will be back dated
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure