Does it take time for a house to dry out?

2»

Comments

• rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    100L of water is a lot! The newly plastered walls and ceilings are drying (albeit a bit slowly) so I suppose that is a good sign. We are looking to see if we can buy a dehumidifier. May be well worth the money.
    I have to add, we did have condensation before the plastering was done. It is just a lot more now that it is done. Windows can be open all day and still be wet if I don't dry them off.
    And for anyone else reading this in the future, make sure you don't dry the windows using a towel then put it on the radiator to dry! I use a J-cloth and wring it out into a bucket then pour it down the sink.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • dirty_magic
    dirty_magic Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    We've just had our downstairs replastered and the humidity lasted weeks, and that's with a dehumidifier running. For the first few days it was above 80%.

I wouldn't be overly concerned, but I do think you should get a dehumidifier. It'll come in useful for drying washing even after the plaster dries.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure