3 mobile users scam

got a text today saying - THREE CUSTOMER: YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED FOR A COMPLTELY FREE PHONE WITH FREE LINE RENTAL AND UNLTD FREE CALLSCALL 08001983333

Sounds very much like a scam to me - anyone heard of this?

Comments

• Searcher
    Searcher Posts: 600 Forumite
    jamescu wrote: »
    got a text today saying - THREE CUSTOMER: YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED FOR A COMPLTELY FREE PHONE WITH FREE LINE RENTAL AND UNLTD FREE CALLSCALL 08001983333

Sounds very much like a scam to me - anyone heard of this?

To be honest it's probably more like cold calling than a scam.

If you call them back it's more than likely they will try to sell you a new contract. I'd just delete it and forget about it ;)
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yet another cashback 3rd party - may not be a scam, but certainly spam (not directly associated with any network provider).

Depends whether you think they'll still be in business when paying-up time comes around - think this particular one is £40 a month and you get it all back...honest (also available on all other networks).
  • mamasad
    mamasad Posts: 326 Forumite
    hi just spoke to one of the customer services personnel and can confirm that this no 08001983333 is not one of others and have not sent anyone this type of message so it is a scam of sum sort mam
  • dangeroussports
    dangeroussports Posts: 1,245 Forumite
    Call it and find out. While your there make sure you provide all your bank details, address, secret question and answer coupled with you credit card number and CV security mark.

Have fun !

Goody goody
  • mike_paterson
    mike_paterson Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I just called to get the lowdown. It actually appears quite good.

The company is Express Mobiles - web address is

http://www.expressmobiles.uk.com/
    The T&Cs are at:
    http://www.expressmobiles.uk.com/Resources/Express%20Mobiles%20-%20Terms%20%26%20C.pdf

The offer is on Orange and is £40 per month for 850 minutes plus 300 texts plus 150 orange to orange minutes. The cashback requires you to send a copy of every bill for each 3 month period within 14 days of the bill arriving (in the middle of the month) The good thing seems to be that you can do this by scanning them in and emailing them, or by downloading them from the orange site and emailing them. The bad point is that it is an 18 month contract. Also worth considering that the phones on offer are clearance phones and not the latest models.
    To infinity and beyond!
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I have heard so many bad reports that about these cash-back schemes it's not worth the risk. As as been mentioned above, there is no guarantee that the company will be in business 18 months down the line. In that case you are stuck with paying the £40 a month to the telephone network provider.They will wash their hands completely of the deal because your agreement wasn't with them but with the cash-back company

These companies also make it very difficult to claim your cash-back. You have a very limited "window" where you can send in the claim, all too often the claims mysteriously get lost in the post or else some other technicality will be found not to pay the money.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • BLUEWKD
    BLUEWKD Posts: 6,800 Forumite
    I had a problem last year with a company going out of business and only getting the 1st payment (3 months) and then me and my partner lost the rest. There was a website where lots of people complained, but 3 Network said it was nothing to do with them and we still had to pay the rest of the contract. We actually lost a few hundred pound, so now buy straight from the phone network and do not do cash back. A lot of companies have realised this and now give good deals without cashback.
    Be thankful for what you have because it could all be taken away tomorrow.;)

• I've looked into cashback schemes lately - from what I understand you take out the contract, pay your money each month and then claim back after a certain amount of time.

By which time the company has ceased trading and resumed trading under a new name... but as the old company who sold you your contract has ceased trading, they won't be paying you a penny back.

I got this information direct from Orange. You can get Oranges phone no off their website and call them, they'll confirm it :)

You're better off going direct to three.co.uk, they've got some good deals on at the moment :)
  • Allan87
    Allan87 Posts: 465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I just had this text, normally its MobileSolutionsOnline (now taken over by dialamobile) that send me them.
  • ellybelly89
    ellybelly89 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    i got that text a few weeks ago. im on orange. then 3 mobile kept cold calling me until I told them where to stick their free phone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure