Should my mate pay for his own pricey drinks?

Comments

• MikeR71
    MikeR71 Posts: 3,852 Forumite
    cepheus wrote: »
    If it's a one off or approximately evens out over time it doesn't matter and I will pay the extra, but if it mounts up over time and your socializing costs a subsidy, it makes you wonder if these are friends. Another thing rounds encourage gluttony, which perhaps is partly the point of a PU.

But cepheus, I thought you like that kind of collective spirit judging by your political persuasions...you know, everyone paying for someone else's life style :)
  • amistupid
    amistupid Posts: 55,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    Spike his drinks, strip him naked and strap him to a lamppost, that'll teach him.
    In memory of Chris Hyde #867
  • Sausages. Well a made up question deserves a made up reply.
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Not really a dilemma just tell him to buy his own or contribute more.

He'll be ordering magnums of Champagne soon!
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I always lost out when we bought rounds 'cos i was always the driver and had so little to drink,

If you were always the driver, then the rest should have been buying you drinks and you shouldn't have had to buy a round.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    But you'll find the guy ordering the £7 double shot would also be the guy ordering the expensive steak when everyone goes out for dinner.

'Rounds' usually work on the basis of everyone having a similarly priced drink. You don't expect the person drinking a soft drink to cough up for a round either

In an ideal World people would be fair to each other, but we do not live in an ideal World, so some people take the mickey.
    I used to have a mate (used to being the operative phrase;)), who drank expensive beers and single malts on a night out, and always chose the most expensive restaurant dishes. He also used to enjoy splitting the bill evenly. The problem is that one evening we decided to all have single malts when it was his round, and we didn't see him again:)
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 October 2014 at 12:53PM
    for a one off or if the person having the expensive drink varies then I wouldn't be bothered, it all evens out. Can't be doing with people who get all fussy about a few quid here and there. If you're really on that much of a budget then don't do rounds, everyone will understand.

But if one person always has a much more expensive drink than everyone else then its clearly taking the p!ss and he should acknowledge that and go seperately or chip in extra. No that hard, I have a mate who drinks ridiculous drinks and he'll just chuck the person getting the round a few extra quid.

It completely depends whether its a regular thing or not and how much we're talking about. If its 50p extra then its ridiculous to make a fuss, if its a £6 cocktail when everyone else is drinking a £3 pint then its an issue
  • What rubbish! It's not a bloke thing or a girl thing!!

Accept that if you buy rounds some people drink different drinks!! H'e not asking for doubles & triples so he's hardly taking the p***. . . . he's just not drinking what you want him to drink.

I'm a round buyer / bill splitter & HATE going out with people who want to count pennies, never tip, never put enough in.

It all evens out eventually . . . if you have decent friends . . .
  • wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    inkki wrote: »
    What rubbish! It's not a bloke thing or a girl thing!!

Accept that if you buy rounds some people drink different drinks!! H'e not asking for doubles & triples so he's hardly taking the p***. . . . he's just not drinking what you want him to drink.

I'm a round buyer / bill splitter & HATE going out with people who want to count pennies, never tip, never put enough in.

It all evens out eventually . . . if you have decent friends . . .

Oh no!

New can of worms opened
  • lxpeanut
    lxpeanut Posts: 8,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MikeR71 wrote: »
    In my view this goes against the spirit of a night out with friends.

So does making your friend pay for your meal. I'm veggie and so usually have the cheaper meal. I dont mind splitting when the difference is going to be a few pounds. However I have been out with "friends" who've had the most expensive thing on the menu and a few expensive bottles of wine (which they drank all of) THEN been the one to suggest we all just split the bill (when their meal cost nearly double everyone elses). Needless to say I refused and have chosen not to go out to meals with those people again. I've also been out when I have had to budget so I ordered food and drinks within my budget and didnt split the bill because it was over what I could afford to pay. Forcing someone to split the bill is not in the spirit of friendship. A friend might not want to spoil a night by admitting they are broke and or pointing out that you are d8ckhead for trying to get them to pay for your expensive meal.

As for the original question the main reason I dont participate in rounds is that I drink spirits.
    "You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts" - Arthur Schlesinger

Proud to be have dealt with my debt :D Debt Free Sept 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport