NEW! Cheapest iPads - article discussion

Comments

• bigjohnr wrote: »
    I got an ipad 3 64GB 3G for £32 a month for 24 months with no upfront cost, they oringally offered me a 16gb for free or £100 for a 64GB, I haggled and got them to waive that cost. They also threw in an apple cover/case and £20 credit. I was offered this as an existing Vodafone customer, this was back in October though...:j
    oh, that was with a 2GB a month data allowance
  • I read with great interest about the iPad2, especially about the roaming data plan.

I have a 16gB with 3G and because I use roaming very infrequently I went for the O2 200mB for 24 hours at £2.02. This allows me for the odd occasion I do not have WiFi and having had the iPad for about three months I have only had to buy two lots of this roaming data and have no contract to worry about.

However reading the article I will look at linking up to my Mobile Phone Data allowance.

Later

Dave
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I've been shopping around for an iPad2 32GB wi-fi only version, and i'm tempted to buy it through amazon. they have what i'm looking for and it's listed at £439.95 + £4.59 s&h for a total of £444.54 making a saving of just over £34. These are 'dispatched and sold' by "good deal4you" they also list as alternates for new a seller called "digigood" who sells it for about £429 so £50 savings over apple. As i've said, i'm tempted and both have lots of positive feedback, but when it comes to shopping online, i'm the type that overly cautious. Has anyone bought an iPad2 from either? is it brand new out the box?

I'd appreciate any comments and feedback, and as a newbie i'll apologise in advance if i'm posting this in the wrong thread.
  • bzd
    bzd Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,

If you work in the Higher Education sector (research, lecturing, support staff, and possibly students, I can't tell) then JANET 3G is worth a look as an option.

The Pay-As-You-Use SIM only package is good if you are going to be of variable use from month to month (for instance if you don't use it for a whole month it's only £2, and 500GB of use works out at £4 on top of that [well, it's 0.8p / MB so very well matched price to your actual use]).

There are also dongle and MiFi and more contracty-based options too.

Have a look at https://www.aql.com/janet3g/products.php for the details.

I don't use it, but I have a colleague who has a micro-SIM from JANET in his (personal not work) iPad2.

Looking at the blurb, it's possible your institution might need to be signed up to eduroam, but I think that covers most UK universities.

Anyway, just thought I'd let folk know as this isn't a well known option, even in HE circles!

bzd
  • I think that you can get 3% cashback via Quidco from Comet. It's not a lot but every little helps.
  • PUMKING
    PUMKING Posts: 10 Forumite
    Bought new iPad2 for my Xmas present from Simply Electronics, a site I found online offering this model for £366 with full Apple Guarantee. I ordered it early December 2011 but had to wait due to pressure of demand
    and busy Couriers. However it did come before Xmas by 24 hour Courier
    delivery. They are also offering me a free stick on screen protector to
    apologise. As I had gone through Quidco, Cashback will reduce price further.Also found leather case from Invision for about £25 I think, two sided and corners of iPad click in for safety together with turning off when closed. I am happy bunny.
    Sorry don't know how to do links currently
  • I've been shopping around for an iPad2 32GB wi-fi only version, and i'm tempted to buy it through amazon. they have what i'm looking for and it's listed at £439.95 + £4.59 s&h for a total of £444.54 making a saving of just over £34. These are 'dispatched and sold' by "good deal4you" they also list as alternates for new a seller called "digigood" who sells it for about £429 so £50 savings over apple. As i've said, i'm tempted and both have lots of positive feedback, but when it comes to shopping online, i'm the type that overly cautious. Has anyone bought an iPad2 from either? is it brand new out the box?

I'd appreciate any comments and feedback, and as a newbie i'll apologise in advance if i'm posting this in the wrong thread.
    I bought a Mac Mini 2011 from Digigood and my dealings have been fine with the company. I received a new US model, with a UK power cable separately and my purchase has been successfully registered with Apple in UK. I am very happy with the purchase.

The discount needs to reflect the risk to the purchaser that Digigood will still be trading in a few years time, as your protection under SGA is in relation to the seller, not the manufacturer. At least with Apple any savings can be put towards the Applecare warranty if you want to insure against risk. Applecare costs £69 for the ipad 2 year policy.
  • Unfortunately as other users note, the price of iPad's varies very little. However, if you purchase at Join Lewis for the same price as Apple, Argos, Currys etc etc you get a 2 year warranty as standard, compared to the one year offered by other retailers. Definitely worth it!
  • A couple of alternatives for those who can't really stretch to the price of the 3G enabled version or are unlikely to connect often enough to warrant spending the extra.

1) If you already have a mobile phone that supports WiFi HotSpot (also known as wireless tethering) and your network provider allows it, you could use this as your mobile router.

2) alternatively if you want a mobile broadband specific connection, some operators offer MiFi (Mobile WiFi) devices on contract / Pay as you go. (search for MiFi on three.co.uk website or mobile-wifi on vodafone.co.uk)
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    smerch1468 wrote: »
    Buying a ipad2 with 3g is a waste of money imo. Its far better to tether to your mobile phone and use the data allowances within that contract although it is frowned up by the mobile phone companies, there is no way of them telling you are hooking up a tablet to your mobile phone.

I'm afraid they can if you are using an iPhone.

O2 and Vodafone tariffs now include tethering but if you have an older contract don't assume you can do this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure