Barclaycard minimum payment scam

For anyone who has a Barclaycard — particularly one with a zero interest promotional period — be aware that the minimum payment which appears on your statement is rounded down to the nearest pound and by paying off this incorrectly stated amount you will be in breach of Barclaycard's terms & conditions.

For example, the balance on my card was £1357.99 and the minimum payment was stated as £30.00 (2.25%) but in actual fact £30.55 was due.

Now that I have breached the terms & conditions all new purchases are charged at their standard rate and every time I pay an amount off my card it only reduces the zero interest balance. So unless I completely pay off the balance the interest will keep on accruing.

You have been warned.

Comments

• NickX
    NickX Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    I have a Barclaycard and always pay the Minimum payment on the statement - never had a problem like this.

I would raise a complaint with Barclaycard on this, as you are keeping your side of the agreement by making the payment shown on the statement.
  • jd87
    jd87 Posts: 2,345
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Alex_B this sounds utterly ridiculous and you need to stand up to Barclaycard about this. If you paid the amount shown then you did everything right. If they have told you something like "you should have known" or "it's all in the terms and conditions" then that is !!!!!!!!. Fight this hard.
  • Alex_B_3
    Alex_B_3 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Al_Mac wrote: »
    What was the 0% promotion on? A balance transfer?

I didn't do a balance transfer. The card has a 10 months zero interest promotion period on new purchases and I took it out at the end of October 2007. I used it to improve my cashflow over the Christmas season and made a minimum payment in May when money was a bit tight.
  • Alex_B_3
    jd87 wrote: »
    Alex_B this sounds utterly ridiculous and you need to stand up to Barclaycard about this. If you paid the amount shown then you did everything right. If they have told you something like "you should have known" or "it's all in the terms and conditions" then that is !!!!!!!!. Fight this hard.

I intend to fight this, but I'm going to clear the debt first. Not sure who to take it to, maybe the OFT or the FSA. I won't be approaching Barclaycard, that's for sure.
  • Alex_B_3
    When did they tell you the promotional period would end? Not when you think it would end.

If this was a genuine computer error, I think it would be fairly big news.

Promotional period ends in Spetember i.e. that is when my full balance would have been charged at the standard rate (before I fell into their trap). I'm certain it's a scam, not a computer error.
  • NickX
    Al Mac is right !!

You must persue it with Barclaycard and only when their complaints procedure is exhausted can you then take it to the Financial Ombudsman.
  • NickX
    There is something not right here, as I said I have Barclaycard and have never seen anything like this.

Did they definitely say that by paying the precise amount detailed on the statement was not enough and breached the Terms and Conditions ?
  • Alex_B_3
    Do you have September in writing? Does it say this on your statement?

Have you used the card for cash or for gambling.

I doubt they would be stupid enough to set up such a scam.

Yes, it's says September on the top of my statement. Haven't used it for cash advances. Didn't have a problem until I paid the stated minimum.
  • Alex_B_3
    NickX wrote: »
    There is something not right here, as I said I have Barclaycard and have never seen anything like this.

Did they definitely say that by paying the precise amount detailed on the statement was not enough and breached the Terms and Conditions ?

There is always a minimum percentage amount specified in the T&Cs. I've been through quite a few credit cards and never had a problem like this before.
  • Alex_B_3
    If a payment hasn't arrived late. This is the last thing I can think of. Then you actually need to ask them, why you are paying interest.

I broke their T&Cs, but I believe it was their deliberate intention to trip me up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure