what does this mean?

I've been scanning the IR website, and have noticed quite a few bankrupts listed have their discharge indefinitely suspended-with the following footnote

Order suspending bankrupt’s discharge under Section 279(3) of the Insolvency Act 1986 until the fulfillment of conditions as specified in the Order made by the Court and effective from 11 July 2016

it features quite a lot-I was under the impression they give you a set period of BR via a BRO/BRU if you are not to be automatically discharged-so surprised to see so many instances of this, in what circumstances does/can this happen?

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,833 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Usually if the bankrupt lies to the OR, or there not cooperative, or there is some other issue arising from the Bankruptcy.

Not every bankrupt is genuine unfortunately.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 September 2017 at 12:05PM
    Suspension is also the only option if the BR 'disappears'. Sometimes its a genuine mistake on the part of the BR - they move house and - having assumed everything was sorted - don't tell the OR their new address. However, it is often not a 'mistake' and the BR deliberately hides themselves and assets from the OR.
  • Thanks both, interesting- just surprised how many there are! Random search of names, about 80% are suspended (discharge) -
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure