My ultimate guide to boost my income. What works, what doesn't

2»

Comments

• Emma851
    Emma851 Posts: 20 Forumite
    This might sound like a stereotype, but you might want to blog about something that really interests you, because it always takes a while for a blog to take off. You need to publish lots of posts before you gain traffic, so you need to really like what you're blogging about to stay motivated, if not you'll throw in the towel before your blog starts to be successful.
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    i want to start blogging but i worry that nobody will care as there are so many out there, and i'm not blogging about anything out of the ordinary. but it would be an ideal second income. any tips for a blogging beginner?

I would suggest you write about something you have an interest in - you are more likely to have motiviation to write when the going is slow, and you are more likely to be knowledgeable on the topic.
    As you say there are lots of bloggers out there about pretty much anything. That doesnt mean you cant be successful though.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • mikep22
    Emma851 wrote: »
    This might sound like a stereotype, but you might want to blog about something that really interests you, because it always takes a while for a blog to take off. You need to publish lots of posts before you gain traffic, so you need to really like what you're blogging about to stay motivated, if not you'll throw in the towel before your blog starts to be successful.

I knew going to get a brew half way through posting was an error....:)
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    mikep22 wrote: »
    Tadge cynical!

I think shes trying to give a decent account of things that have worked for her. I'd agree with some for the most part. But things like Etsy arent much good for me sadly. I need to get my behind in gear with my website too, been ages since I updated it.

Ok Bad day! Sorry OP. Wish you luck and really hope you make lots.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • Emma851
    Emma851 Posts: 20 Forumite
    No worries! Has anybody here tried publishing self-help books on KDP Select, or other self publishing platforms?
  • Blogging is a lot of work, but it is worth it and you will definitely see rewards if you stick with it. Being consistent is key - even when it's hard going, or you views are low, or you feel like it's not growing as you would like it to keep at it and you will get there in the end.
  • I'd like to hear more regarding self-publishing on Kindle, which you mentioned has gone well for you. I read up a little on this a good while ago but I think the Kindle system might have changed since then. However, I've been thinking about it again recently so any input or advice on it would be welcomed.

Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
  • Emmaaar22
    Emmaaar22 Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Emailed about seven promoters to sponsor my blog and I only got one reply back and even then they didn`t reply afterwards :(
    2017 Wins - Coco Pops, £100 Amazon voucher, Elf T-shirt, £250 Zalando Voucher and £250 FeelUnique Voucher, private gig concerts
    2018 Wins - Steep xbox game, 2 tangle teezer, Contagion Book, JC Annual, water sports bottle, 10p, 2 cricket tickets, can of fizz, 10p, Ribenia, Johnson baby products
  • mikep22
    Emmaaar22 wrote: »
    Emailed about seven promoters to sponsor my blog and I only got one reply back and even then they didn`t reply afterwards :(

Keep at it - I imagine 7 isn't very many and that a lot of promoters are likely inundated.

Also remember to self promote - lots of things out there...Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook - you can easily have a reach of a few thousand by yourself. Share their stuff and they might share yours etc :)

• minxy-x
    minxy-x Posts: 139 Forumite
    One thing that really worked for us, especially in the start when we started out on our journey, was looking where we could save money and not just where we could make it.
    Other things that have worked.
    Renting out a room in our home-
    Nearly for the whole 7 years we have been here, we have had someone renting a room, we would use this money as our monthly food/petrol/living etc expenses.
    Investing in a business and becoming self employed-
    A planned risk at the start (I continued to work in paid employment), but it worked well and so far has paid off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure