Comodo free firewall better than windows firewall?

justaquestion
justaquestion Posts: 737 Forumite
edited 14 March 2017 at 8:27PM in Techie Stuff
Hi folks,

I have windows 10 and use it for online banking. In the past I have used comodo free firewall as an extra precaution, which I felt was more secure than windows firewall.

Anyway was using windows firewall for a good few months as comodo was no longer compatible.

But it seems Comodo firewall has caught up and will install now, and is working ok.

Do you think comodo free firewall is more secure than windows 10 firewall?

One little thing I didn't like was that Malwarebytes flagged up Geekbuddy that comes bundled with it as a PUP, so I got malwarebytes to remove it.

But thought on the security of comodo firewall over windows 10m inbuilt one appreciated.
Thanks.

Comments

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    You will be fine with the built in Firewall.......
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You don't need a firewall. Unless you are still on dialup you're using a router so you're already protected by NAT from inbound connections from anyone on the internet trying to get in. Any malware that initiates an outbound one is going to be likely to be able to bypass a firewall.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I use the Comodo Free Firewall on Windows 7. I find that it's much easier to use than the Windows one (once you've changed the insane default settings -- does it still try to automatically whitelist anything on your PC with Defense+ or whatever it's called now?).
    Tarambor wrote: »
    You don't need a firewall. Unless you are still on dialup you're using a router so you're already protected by NAT from inbound connections from anyone on the internet trying to get in. Any malware that initiates an outbound one is going to be likely to be able to bypass a firewall.

Personally, I still think it's useful to be able to control which apps have network and/or internet access. But for the vast majority of home users there is probably no real need.

Also, some people are on IPv6 connections, which I doesn't need NAT. But that probably doesn't make a difference security-wise.
  • Gillor
    Gillor Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Comodo Firewall with it’s HIPs/sandboxing properties is better than Windows Firewall, but whether the OP needs it or not depends on their surfing habits and the ability to set it up and use it properly.

Coupled with a customisable a/v, such as Quihoo 360 you are going to end up with a pretty watertight security system, but whether the average user can put up with all the alerts and then know what to do with them is a different matter.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Gillor wrote: »
    whether the OP needs it or not depends on their surfing habits
    A home firewall is far more about preventing internet access by programs on your machine than it is about offering any protection while surfing.
  • Gillor
    Gillor Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    A home firewall is far more about preventing internet access by programs on your machine than it is about offering any protection while surfing.

If that’s the criterion then doesn’t that rule out Windows Firewall which has no easily accessible outbound protection?

But the point I was trying to make (not very well, obviously) is that that there are basic Firewalls, such as Windows which is fine, and Firewalls with additional and advanced levels of protection, such as Comodo. The choice will depend on what level of protection the user is happy with.
  • Thanks for replies, all very helpful.

I have a windows 7 computer with a little known firewall Private Firewall 7.0 which seems pretty straightforward to use. But I do like the Comodo firewall as well, though as said so many alerts. Don't like that Geekbuddy program bundled with it though.
    Thanks once again for all your help.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    A "standard" user needs no more than the inbuilt windows firewall.

Those requiring to customise their setup a bit more would appreciate the extra features with one such as comodo ..
    As mentioned above, its all about your own usage
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Welcome back AndyPix.....;)
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    RumRat wrote: »