Neighbour Feeding my kitten and keeping him in.. Updated ..

Comments

• krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    They shouldn't be feeding him or trapping him in the house, but accept your responsibility in the situation too.

It, for example, shouldn't be their responsibility to lock their own cat flap to keep your cat out. Do you expect them to keep windows and doors shut to keep him out too? Yes, they are encouraging him in, but even if they were to stop feeding him, he may choose to wander in and out (and they may have food down for their own cats - which they're perfectly entitled to do)

You say their road is particularly busy - a free-roaming cat may be tempted across a busy road by more than just these neighbours. If it's a concern, address it yourself. Whether that is by keeping him indoors, using a harness, creating a cat-run or cat-proofing your garden - or by accepting that by allowing him to roam free beyond your control runs the risk of him getting run over.

You know from previous experience that these neighbours are an issue. Unfortunately for you, they are perfectly entitled to adapt their garden however they like, and leave food down if they wish. Knowing it's likely to be an ongoing problem, I would take responsibility for my own pet and make the changes to control the situation myself.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They are not 'trapping' him in, if there is a cat flap he can get out any time he likes and of course also get in.

Cats are roamers, he is just as likely to be killed on the road no matter which house he is staying in.

It maybe sound strange, but its coming over to me (and I have a cat) that there is a little bit of resentment towards the cat because you feel it prefers being over there than at your house. Maybe he likes the company of the other cats.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Ganyam
    Ganyam Posts: 2,666 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    krlyr wrote: »
    They shouldn't be feeding him or trapping him in the house, but accept your responsibility in the situation too.

It, for example, shouldn't be their responsibility to lock their own cat flap to keep your cat out.

Don't you just hate it when people don't read.. Why do they have a cat flap? Their cats don't use it. Their cats aren't allowed out the garden.

The neighbors already have cats of their own , but they are only allowed out on harnesses , because the road is so dangerous .
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 August 2014 at 6:13PM
    Ganyam wrote: »
    Don't you just hate it when people don't read.. Why do they have a cat flap? Their cats don't use it. Their cats aren't allowed out the garden.

The neighbors already have cats of their own , but they are only allowed out on harnesses , because the road is so dangerous .

Not sure why this means I didn't read? Regardless of their own cats using it, the neighbours are breaking no laws having a cat flap and leaving it open for other people's cats to use. Locking said cat in might well be wrong (but cats do walk that iffy line of being considered property or not - technically, yes, but then owners are generally happy to not accept any responsibility for any damage their cats may cause when freeroaming), but the neighbours have no obligation to block the flap to prevent OP's cat choosing to come and go.

As for the road safety, this is the neighbour's responsibility, how? OP's cat may well wander across that road of its own accord, or roads just as dangerous. It's a hazard of letting your cat roam free.
  • Peter333
    Peter333 Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    mandi wrote: »
    Thanks ever so much for all of the replies .

Quick update ,

I've spoken again to the neighbour . Told him I'm worried about the road . Explained that my kittens on a special diet and asked him to discourage him as much as possible .

He understands my concerns so ....

He's agreed to block off the cat flap ( at night ) and not to feed him .. My kittens back home now and he's staying in with some treats for at least a week .

I'll keep you posted .

Thanks again everyone .

Mandi .

Sounds like it may be in hand now Mandi.

Hope the neighbour continues to adhere to your request(s).

He is in the wrong.
    You didn't, did you? :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Ganyam
    Ganyam Posts: 2,666 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    krlyr wrote: »
    Not sure why this means I didn't read? Regardless of their own cats using it, the neighbours are breaking no laws having a cat flap and leaving it open for other people's cats to use. Locking said cat in might well be wrong (but cats do walk that iffy line of being considered property or not - technically, yes, but then owners are generally happy to not accept any responsibility for any damage their cats may cause when freeroaming), but the neighbours have no obligation to block the flap to prevent OP's cat choosing to come and go.

As for the road safety, this is the neighbour's responsibility, how? OP's cat may well wander across that road of its own accord, or roads just as dangerous. It's a hazard of letting your cat roam free.

Unbelievable some people.. Just read it all again
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
  • scaredy_cat
    scaredy_cat Posts: 7,758 Forumite
    not read all the replies - have you had him chipped? i only say incase they try to say he is not yours then you have proof he's not.
    Cats don't have owners - they have staff!! :D:p
    DFW Long Hauler Supporter No 150

• IMHO 6 months is far too young for a kitten to be allowed to free roam - they haven't lost their 'stupidness' or learned much common sense by that age

Given that there's a road in close proximity I'd suggest keeping him closer to home (eg in a cat proofed garden) for at least another 6 months
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Stick to the "cat unwell, permanently on prescription food, anything else he eats will make him worse - pls do not feed ANYTHING as if you do and cat is sick, I will be knocking on your door with vet bill".

BUT - if the cat gets into their house via cat flap/window and they have their own cats so food is there anyway - you do have a problem as the cat will be going back there.

As Rising says above - at 6 months cat is too young to be out so much unsupervised, especially considering this type of neighbours.

And yes, you CAN cat proof your own garden to keep him safe and close to home - it may cost a lot but can be done.

I do feel for you as one of mine is a wanderer and often visits neighbours ... and sits there watching their hamster or playing with their kids. To solve the food issue - I always give them few tins of what I feed him and tell them not to give him anything alse so nothing "special" there for him.

He also comes back to me when I call him. My cats are more like dogs.

But yoru cat is way too young for all this.

All the best
  • Shoshannah
    Shoshannah Posts: 667 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2014 at 8:49PM
    This sort of thing makes me really angry.

People see a cat come into their garden, it's so cute so they offer it food, which it scoffs (because it's a cat), and suddenly:

"Oh look, he's starving! He must be a stray! Let's keep him! His name is Fluffy!"

If someone is truly concerned that a cat coming into their house or garden is a stray, they should take it to the vet to be scanned for a chip as a minimum. I'd be livid if someone 'took on' my cat without bothering to scan him for a chip - that's why I got him microchipped, so that he can be traced!

If your cat is not already chipped, he must be chipped ASAP. I am not a fan of collars on cats, but it would also be worth popping a safety-release collar on with his REAL name and your phone number, to reiterate his ownership.

Has he been neutered yet?

Ultimately, if you're worried about the road then you should consider allowing him outdoor access only on a harness or in a secure enclosure.

I hope your neighbour adheres to your request not to encourage him.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure