~Avon Hints & Tips (Part 8) ~ Please read first post :)

Comments

• thanks for getting back to me,

I am hoping to do as good on this book as last, i still have 7 days to go and i am sittin at about £338 in orders!!!!, i think its coz first book and a few freinds orders, i was givin another street today so hopfully that will help me have another good week.

my sl says i would manage on 20 books, but i think i should get more, i have 17 so far orders from last book, i think i am doing about 300 houses, any recomoendations on how many books to order??
    PROUD MUM OF 3 george, matthew and laura

new avon rep (my figs include my books ect)

C16 £513.98. C17 £801.00 C18 £789.00. C1 £114 so far C2 £30 so far
  • I,_Geek
    I,_Geek Posts: 831 Forumite
    How many books to order depends on how you want to cover your area. Are you going to knock on doors, going back more than once if people aren't in? Or are you going to knock, but post a book if they're not in? Or are you going to post books as often as you can (i.e. unless you're passing the homeowner on the garden path etc...).

Knocking means you'll need less books. Be prepared to lose a fair few if you're posting books (it could be half as a worst case scenario). Even if you knock on doors some books won't be returned. I always lose a handful and that's dealing with my regulars.

How many times do you want to re-use each book? With every re-prep of books you're going to lose more and more if you post books. Say you start out with 100, you get 70 back, you put those 70 out, you get 50 back... and so on... Sometimes books will get caught in the rain (even in a brochure bag) or the homeowner smokes or uses the book as a coaster - you'll lose a few that way as well.

You can also re-use the next campaign. During C17 you'll be able to use C16s, during C18 you can use your C17s (but the C16s have now expired), and so on...

If you're knocking on doors you could give current books to those people, then prep some backorder books and post those to people who weren't in.

Personally, because I like doing as few trips in and out during a campaign as possible, and because I post books, I'd be ordering at least 100 and just getting the area done asap. You want to establish yourself before the Christmas campaigns: C17, C18 and C1 so people trust you to deliver their orders on time.

Ask your upline if they have any backorder books going spare to help you cover your area.
    I used to have my Avon turnover (sales) here. They've been removed because it's not appropriate to talk about those kinds of sales as if they're realistic for a new Rep to aim for. :( I signed up at the right time, right place, and was very lucky.
  • thanks for gettin back to me i didnt relise i could never thougfht to put the 16 books out to me new street. that will help me out a bit.

• Hello,

Can you please tell me whether I have to get registered again or not? I worked for Avon 2 years ago for a few months when I was on a maternity leave. Can I come back to it or do I have to get registered and pay admin fee again?

I am in a bit of a mess and am short of a few hours be over 16hrs freshold for a single parent. I have already two other jobs and this would add complexity being self-employed on top of everything.

How do you calculate your hours with Avon and what exactly do you say to the tax credits? How do you keep track of your work.

Can you deducat any of your costs like phone, petrol, Internet cost etc. and how do you calculate it? If there is any guide to it could you please direct me? Many thanks.
  • Aesop
    Aesop Posts: 23,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MrsGSR wrote: »
    Doing my tax return and I don't under stand what

Annual Investment Allowance
    Allowance for small balance of unrelieved expenditure
    Other capital allowances
    Total balancing charges - where you have disposed of items for more than their value

Mean? I've downloaded the notes but they mean nothing to my confused pregnant head :( Can anyone advise me on a user friendly guide or explain what they mean?

doesn't apply to you hun

What is the Annual Investment Allowance (AIA)?

The AIA is effectively a 100% first-year allowance for business expenditure on almost all plant or machinery (apart from cars) capped at £50,000 a year. It is available to businesses regardless or their size or legal form, and applies to expenditure incurred on or after 1 April 2008 (for CT purposes) or 6 April 2008 (for IT purposes).

If the balance of the 'main pool' or 'special rate pool' after claiming Annual Investment Allowance, together with any balance carried forward from any previous year, less any amount you got from disposing of the equipment you no longer use, is £1,000 or less, you may claim that whole amount or part of it as a 'small pools allowance' instead of the 20 per cent or 10 per cent writing down allowance. Enter the amount of this allowance in this field.

Capital Allowances

Capital allowances
    Tax allowances called ‘capital allowances’ can be claimed for some types of capital expenditure. Like other expenses, these are deducted in working out taxable rental business profits or added to any loss.

Total Balancing Charges

When you sell an item that you have claimed capital allowances on, deduct the amount you received for it (the sale proceeds) from the pool value brought forward or cost. Likewise, if you no longer use an item for business purposes, deduct the value of it from the pool value or cost. If the sale proceeds or the value of the item is more than the pool value or cost, the difference is called a 'balancing charge' and is taxable. Enter the total of any balancing charges.

none of it applies to your Avon business hun.
  • Aesop
    Aesop Posts: 23,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mammato1 wrote: »

Can you deducat any of your costs like phone, petrol, Internet cost etc. and how do you calculate it? If there is any guide to it could you please direct me? Many thanks.

Hi Mammato1

you can only claim phone for the calls and texts used for your business. What I used to do was have a completely separate mobile (cheap) phone for Avon and had this on Pay as you go. Exclusively used for Avon. I would top it up once a month and keep all the receipts proving I had bought it only for that phone. I would use these for my self assessment.

Internet is more complex. As you are supposed to have business internet access if you are using it for your business, had that argument with virgin media. I never changed over to business account.

The best thing to do is attend the Self Employment Course run for free by the Inland Revenue at one of their offices. You can ask all these questions there and they will tell you what you can and cannot claim.
  • Mumto2
    Mumto2 Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2011 at 1:08PM
    Do Avon do a body scrub? My neighbour is after one & I can't find anything. Am about to order today from C14/C15.

thanks

edit - just used online search & found a planet spa one (brain cells are working slowly today!)
    Thanks
    Now proud Mumto3 :j
  • sorry i dont have books 14/15 so cant help.

have question again. if order a demo out the HT book. does it show on ma order. i clicked on a item but its not showing on ma order, does that mean iit hasnt ordered?

• Mumto2
    Mumto2 Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    bezybee wrote: »
    sorry i dont have books 14/15 so cant help.

have question again. if order a demo out the HT book. does it show on ma order. i clicked on a item but its not showing on ma order, does that mean iit hasnt ordered?

Yes - if I remember correctly, it's in a seperate section at the bottom, along with catalogues/stationery etc.
    Now proud Mumto3 :j
  • Dick_here
    Dick_here Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mammato1 wrote: »
    I worked for Avon 2 years ago for a few months when I was on a maternity leave. Can I come back to it or do I have to get registered and pay admin fee again?

Assuming you mean you were an Avon Rep two years you were self-employed, you didn't 'work for them'. Yes, you will have to pay the appointment fee again, it's £7.50 in each of the first two orders.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure