Direct Debit Indemnity Claims

Comments

• Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if any of you have any advice for me...
    I have recently started online banking and because of this I discovered that I have a direct debit set up for a mobile phone company. However, I do not have a contract with the company and never have done!

I rang the company and a nice man on the phone said I am not in their records as having a contract or any insurance. He said the best thing to do would be to get in touch with the bank for an indemnity claim.

Would this be accepted?

I have been paying nearly £30.00 every month, and as I don't know when this was set up, have no idea how much I've lost!
    Thanks, any advice would be very much appreciated.

P.s. I take responsibility for having poor management over my accounts!:o
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No, they shouldn't be fobbing you off on the bank! They must be able to identify the reason for the transaction from the reference number on your payments, and it's their job to refund you not the bank's problem to sort it out. D'oh @ them fobbing you off.
  • oliverp_2
    oliverp_2 Posts: 130 Forumite
    Yes the originator should deal with it but going to the bank and doing a DD guarantee claim will probably be quicker.

You'll get all the money back quickly, then your bank will contact the DD originator basically saying "prove our customer set this mandate up or send us a cheque to cover the amount we've refunded".
  • MarkyMarkD
    But chabbers has already spoken to the phone provider.

All he needed to do was actually finish the call by demanding that his money was refunded ... not let the phone provider fob him off on the bank which is not at fault in any way.

I don't believe that it should be quicker to use the DD guarantee. It should be quickest to demand the refund from the guilty party.
  • chabbers
    chabbers Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hey, thanks for the advice :)
    I went into the bank and they said that I could fill out an indemnity form. If nothing comes of it then I will definately ring mobile phone company again and demand reimbursement.
    Thanks again.
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    chabbers wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for the advice :)
    I went into the bank and they said that I could fill out an indemnity form.
    Thanks again.

Noooooo.

You need a full and immediate refund under the Direct Debit Guarantee Scheme. This offers the customer a FULL and IMMEDIATE refund if the supplier takes too much money by DD, or takes the DD early. The supplier must notify the customer at least 10 days in advance, how much they are going to take and the date on which they will take it.

The Indemnity scheme is what the bank uses internally to get the money back from the supplier. It can take ages. For some reason, banks like to bamboozle customers and offer them the Indemnity scheme instead of the Guarantee scheme.

Go back to your bank and complain.
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    MarkyMarkD wrote: »
    I don't believe that it should be quicker to use the DD guarantee. It should be quickest to demand the refund from the guilty party.

The DD Guarantee Scheme is immediate so that will be quicker than waiting for the supplier to refund the money.
  • MarkyMarkD
    The DD guarantee is, in theory, immediate. But equally well a supplier can return funds taken in error by CHAPS, immediately. It just takes a bit of negotiation!
  • Does anyone know how far back you can backdate the claim? I didn't realise that I have had a direct debit coming out which was cancelled in August and my bank are only able to go back to 1st October at the moment to process an indemnity claim.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Does anyone know how far back you can backdate the claim?

as far back as the error. August is no problem.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure