the demise of Ebico

Comments

• squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    MsLdn wrote: »
    Thank you, Penny. Yes, it's possible we spoke to RH direct rather than via Ebico ... it was my partner who rang while I was at work. And we had such a mess of contradictory letters at the time. That was the one thing that made us stay with SSE (at the time, we're definitely going to switch now, however we have to pay!)

Edited to add: sorry, I'm not being clear, I think we could have paid quarterly if we did it via direct debit, but we wanted to pay how we do know - online but quarterly instead of monthly.

I am with Ebico/Robin Hood and I am awaiting for my first quarterly bill which should arrive in the next week, my switch date was 21st April.

I do not have a direct debit set up and will pay on receipt of my quarterly bill.
  • MsLdn
    MsLdn Posts: 22 Forumite
    That's good to know Squiggles, thanks. Clearly the advisor we spoke to back in March didn't know the deal for Ebico customers switching to RH. It gives me hope I may be able to carry on paying quarterly when we switch (if we can ever get through to them on the phone...)
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Mee wrote: »
    My sympathy. Other PP users have posted about the 'standing charge'. I think given Ebico ethos it is an unforgivable thing to do, but I guess it was part of the RH partnership.
    No, it is the regulator who has imposed the price cap on PPM tariffs that mean the only feasible business solution is that such taiffs must have a standing charge applied (as they cannot go above the unit price cap imposed)

Ebico did try to explain this at the time.
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Got an email a few days ago asking meter readings before they process the A-J bill. Always pay on receipt of bill.
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 July 2017 at 6:20PM
    MsLdn wrote: »
    That's good to know Squiggles, thanks. Clearly the advisor we spoke to back in March didn't know the deal for Ebico customers switching to RH. It gives me hope I may be able to carry on paying quarterly when we switch (if we can ever get through to them on the phone...)
    https://ebico.org.uk/paying-your-bill/

No need to phone
    https://quote.ebico.org.uk/usage-details

Not sure why you have waited this long? Your delay has been costing you money.
    Ebico Zero is at least 4.5% cheaper than EquiGas / EquiPower tariff and price-guaranteed until at least December 2017.
    https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/new-cheaper-gas-and-electricity-tariffs-under-the-new-partnership-with-robin-hood-energy/

You can't say Ebico ddn't try to warn its customers what would be happening
    This is the opening from, that same article from March this year
    SSE has now closed EquiGas/EquiPower to new sales and tariff will be coming to an end.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 July 2017 at 6:23PM
    ChrisJJ wrote: »
    I've been speaking to Robin Hood Energy today and am fairly sure I'll be switching to them shortly. One question I forgot to ask though, is whether they are part of the Warm Home Discount scheme. That makes a significant difference to my bills, and it wouldn't be worthwhile changing if they didn't provide that.

Does anyone know if they are part of that scheme? (I will try ringing again but, good lord, the waiting times...)
    Please note that the Warm Homes Discount (WHD) is not currently available through Ebico energy plans, provided via our supply partnership with Robin Hood Energy.
    https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/closure-of-equigas-and-equipower/

If you were in receipt f WHD when supplied via the Ebico/SS partnership, you should have received written info from Ebico specifically about that

This from last March when the Ebico/SSE partnership ended
    Will I lose my Warm Home Discount?
    Unfortunately, Robin Hood Energy currently does not provide the Warm Home Discount (WHD) at this time.
    We recommend that customers who receive, or have applied for, the WHD do not transfer to our new tariffs. We will be writing to these customers about this separately.
    https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/new-cheaper-gas-and-electricity-tariffs-under-the-new-partnership-with-robin-hood-energy/
  • MsLdn
    MsLdn Posts: 22 Forumite
    footyguy wrote: »

No need to phone

Not sure why you have waited this long? Your delay has been costing you money.

You can't say Ebico ddn't try to warn its customers what would be happening
    This is the opening from, that same article from March this year

Footyguy. We waited because we were (incorrectly it seems) advised that we couldn't pay quarterly and also that we couldn't have two names on the bill - considerations that are important to me and my partner. The money it cost not to change so far has been peanuts as SSE reassured us in writing in April that the tarriff would continue unchanged for former Ebico customers. That has been the case for our most recent bill and the first we heard otherwise was today when we received the letter saying we'd be switched to the standard tarriff in August, which has a standing charge.

I've never said 'Ebico didn't try to warn it's customers'. None of my posts have criticised Ebico in any way, the only company I've criticised is SSE.

I've had to edit your post to remove the links, because as a new poster it's the only way I can quote it (I'm not allowed to post links yet).
  • BillTee
    BillTee Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    does anyone know much about them? Quote is cheaper than Ebico/RHE but I can find very little about them; website doesn't appear to have an "about us" section
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    squiggles wrote: »
    I am with Ebico/Robin Hood and I am awaiting for my first quarterly bill which should arrive in the next week, my switch date was 21st April.

I do not have a direct debit set up and will pay on receipt of my quarterly bill.

This is exactly the same as me. I have been updating my meter readings on my online account, and now they send me a letter asking for the readings because they want to send me a bill. The letter is dated 7th July, but not received until the 14th. I already sent readings on 2nd, 9th, and now today the 14th.

I don't think their departments are talking to each other.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ilona wrote: »
    This is exactly the same as me. I have been updating my meter readings on my online account, and now they send me a letter asking for the readings because they want to send me a bill. The letter is dated 7th July, but not received until the 14th. I already sent readings on 2nd, 9th, and now today the 14th.

I don't think their departments are talking to each other.

Ilona

I think it's a standard communication sent to everyone (maybe only to those billed quarterly?) shortly before billing.
    We received an email, with the letter attached. (Think we may have later got the same letter in the post too)

This is what the email said
    We will be producing a bill for you in the next week. Please could you provide up-to-date meter reading(s) within the next five days so that we can use them when calculating your bill. If you have recently given us your reading, please disregard this email.

Kind regards,

Customer Service Team
    Ebico
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills