Money Moral Dilemma: Should we share in sister-in-law's cashback?

Options

Comments

• Cookie1986
    Cookie1986 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    The accounts are in your sister in laws name and therefore the points are her’s to spend. If you feel that strongly then I would politely say that you are happy to pick up your own shopping and bills. I would even state that you have realised through reading the wonderful website moneysavingexpert.com, that you are missing out on reward points.:rotfl:

Ultimately however I think I agree with “elsien” on this one…"life is too short!"!
  • joannedavidson80
    Options
    Unless you actively use these services yourself you're not actually losing out on anything allowing your sister-in-law to do this. It's such a small reward as well you'd probably be embarrassed to receive it if you asked for your 'share'.
    It's also worth pointing out both these rewards take time to actually be cash in your sister-in-laws hand so she will still be paying full price for the goods herself at time of purchase.
    If it really bothers you take the time and do these things yourself rather than causing bad feelings between you and your sister-in-law asking for a share of the reward.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MSE_Darryl wrote: »
    My sister-in-law always picks up the bill or buys things and asks us to pay her cash.

She may have other reasons for wanting the cash rather than earning points etc. As in raw cash flow - enough to fund a child's school trip, or groceries tomorrow.

You are assuming she's financially competent & comfortable & coining it - when that may not be the case.

So Even If it's cashback on £100 every week, that could just be 50 pence. Points - take a long time to build up.

Give her the benefit of the doubt, and play along. By kicking off you could inadvertently kick over an anthill. Stay cool (fifty pence?! c'mon!) and enjoy the relative simplicity and "your share" of the benefits in Christmas & birthday presents.

It might be frustrating, but you might be wrong. The cost of making that painfully clear to all? "Priceless."
  • donethat
    donethat Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    As I see it, you have two choices, One put up and shut up or Two go and do your own shopping etc on your own.
  • WastingMyTime
    WastingMyTime Posts: 74 Forumite
    edited 18 June 2014 at 11:28AM
    Options
    She does not/need not/should not/not required to pass the benefits on to you.

If the question you really are asking is 'should you benefit', then decline her request to paying for you. Pay and claim any benefits for yourself.

Any reason she provides for her action is irrelevant. Strap for cash/ not strap for cash and any other reason = irrelevant.

If she has a problem with you paying and claiming for your entitled benefits then she just informed you of how she values you! You then need to decide if you agree/disagree with her valuation and act accordingly.

P.S Don't undersell yourself even to your in-laws.
    There will always be obstacles in your way. It's not IF you remove them but HOW!

Calling me stupid doesn't make you smarter
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Next time the matter arises, state assertively that you intend to pay the bills this time, and thence every second time. If she objects, she will actually have to say why on every occasion she wants to pay and get refunded in cash. She will thus expose herself as the money-grabbing, make-money-off-her-own-family, devious creature that you strongly suspect her to be.

(If you feel really strongly about the matter, you could always try to arrange things so that she becomes an ex-sister-in-law?!)
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    If it's your sis in law you've got a problem making a fuss about this because family can cause hell.

If you get on well with her you could try asking her about this - if it's bothering you, if it doesn't bother you - leave well alone!

My sis in law is like this - we got - AS OUR WEDDING PRESENT - a tv which she'd got free for all her sales in cosmetics!

Our wedding car - was a loan car from the garage where my bro-in-law worked, I was made to write a thank you card during my wedding reception, the card I had to provide as well - can you believe it?!

We paid for all the food and drink at the reception as well - I have nothing to do with his family now, got so sick of them all over the years, after 9 yrs I broke ties with the lot of them!
  • maxwanadoo
    maxwanadoo Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    She is doing all the work and you are begrudging her a small amount that she happens to get by careful use of her cards.
    Get a life and don't come near me. I only want to meet nice people.
  • his_missus
    his_missus Posts: 3,363 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    If this situation was reversed would you pass the savings on to her if you were paying with a cashback card and asking SIL to pay you in cash?

She's made the effort to set up a cashback card, hunt for the deals etc. so why shouldn't she benefit?

If you feel put out, pay your own way rather than paying via her.
  • Un0riginal
    Un0riginal Posts: 40 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it's your sis in law you've got a problem making a fuss about this because family can cause hell.

If you get on well with her you could try asking her about this - if it's bothering you, if it doesn't bother you - leave well alone!

My sis in law is like this - we got - AS OUR WEDDING PRESENT - a tv which she'd got free for all her sales in cosmetics!

Our wedding car - was a loan car from the garage where my bro-in-law worked, I was made to write a thank you card during my wedding reception, the card I had to provide as well - can you believe it?!

We paid for all the food and drink at the reception as well - I have nothing to do with his family now, got so sick of them all over the years, after 9 yrs I broke ties with the lot of them!

Hold the phone. Your sister-in-law gave you a TV for your wedding present? And then of all the injustice your brother-in-law managed to get you your wedding car for [STRIKE]free[/STRIKE] the cost of a £2(ish) card and he then further humiliated you by forcing you to pen a quick thank you ON YOUR WEDDING DAY!

You must be a saint. I really don't know how you coped on day 1, let alone the following 9 years. And you say they were like this regularly? How very dare they! You must have been crying yourself to sleep every night from the injustice whilst watching that disgustingly vulgar TV.

I am sure now [STRIKE]they no longer want anything to do with you[/STRIKE] you have broken all ties [STRIKE]they are so much happier[/STRIKE] you will somehow manage to rebuild yourself. Do you know what you should do? Go and buy your sister-in-law a TV and THEN pay your brother-in-law however much it would have been to hire a wedding car! Surely you wouldn't want anyone to think you had benefited from their deceitful nature. Oh how you will be able to laugh at them.

Anyway .. OP. It's already been said. I have never understood why family especially get so pent up over a few pence. Seriously? Either learn from her initiative and ask her about getting set-up with your own cashback account and card or let it go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure